Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont put pushfit on chrome pipe.......ever
unless you use tectite and their little keying tool so it has a gripper ring cut into the chrome

to all the very new plumbers, be carefull how much solder you apply to microbore fittings. spent an hour faffing around with a luke warm rad only to find one of the young lads had partially blocked the 10mm elbow with solder doh.

When fitting chrome pipe to bathroom towel rads use a dremel with the stone wheel to remove the chrome takes seconds then you can solder to the exposed copper. You can sleep at night once the tiles are down?

ive been using "frame fixers" or whatever they are called to fix wc's to floor lately! simple job! just fut the flange off the plug! no faffing arounf with plugs not entering the holes you have drilled ect!!

ive been using "frame fixers" or whatever they are called to fix wc's to floor lately! simple job! just fut the flange off the plug! no faffing arounf with plugs not entering the holes you have drilled ect!!

What do you mean? Have you got a link please

What do you mean? Have you got a link please

These
Frame Fixings 8 x 80mm Pack of 10 | NoLinkingToThis

They are not corrosion resist tho so someone will hve to break the pan out in a few years when the pysh rots the screw head.

These

They are not corrosion resist tho so someone will hve to break the pan out in a few years when the pysh rots the screw head.

Blimey, that's a bit extreme isn't it?

These

What ever happened to using 4" No.12 brass slotted screws & raw plugs to fix a pan down, a Tamz ????

keep a few pushfit stop ends in ur pockets for code red (brain dead) situations.

Brass 3" 12's do me Chris. I certainly wouldn't use a frame fix.
Yes, sorry but the floors are not so good down here as the granite you may be use too Tamz
(PS you are right it was 3 not 4 oh how old age effects the memory that & the bottle of wine, well it has been a good day, sun shining Alpha solar kit installed & the BL-----dy kids not back until Monday, O a few more days of bliss)

if ever doing a combi to combi swap, have a wee peak up in the loft you never know some one might have left you a little present i.e hot water cylinder or some scrap pipe at least:christmaswreath:

Strip foam cylinder by cutting it from top to bottom so it's segmented, do this in 3 or 4 places. Once around circumference mid way up cylinder. Cut as deep as u can through foam. Lay on its side and stamp on it once or twice. Insulation comes off in about 8 bits not 20000.

Tip two buy recip saw and u will never leave any loot behind in an attic or tight space again.

Easier to cap off cold feed and put wet vac on outlet. Cylinder will implode and the insulation will fall off.

when fitting rads under a window sill measure down from the sill for top of bracket height fix brackets pop rad in place check levels and whichever side is the high spot pop the bleed valve on . I go to quite a few complaints (not my jobs) that are rads that seem un level when infact its spot on but they look out because of the sills

when fitting rads under a window sill measure down from the sill for top of bracket height fix brackets pop rad in place check levels and whichever side is the high spot pop the bleed valve on . I go to quite a few complaints (not my jobs) that are rads that seem un level when infact its spot on but they look out because of the sills

I'd speak to customer first. "Do you want rad level or parallel to windowsill?"

With some people no matter what you do they will find a problem.

fair play I just do it as a standard only ever had one customer follow me round with a level and they didn't find one level rad of mine all the ones under the window sill were perfectly parallel and every other rad I fit I send a level line across fit brackets check for level and if they are spot on I send a tiny tap to one of the brackets I was always taught to have a slight un level on rads up to the bleed nipple and as I think its make perfect cense that's how I fit them ime not talking much but over sat a 1200 level 2 milly is in my eyes perfect

note to self: when reconnecting appliances in property where council have been in and decommisioned it, check EVERY connection on every appliance including supply! numbnuts had loosened the supply to the meter put new olive in and just turned nut slightly ... i got wet

install slam locks on van. very handy and very good, saves having to use keys if you are struggling with anything heavy and time wondering if you've locked it or not ... just remember to check you have keys in pocket before you slam though :)

When change a immersion heater , make sure you remove old gasket and clean the sitting with Stanley blade and then install the new immersion heater

If every using anybody else's electric appliances or set ups, in my case my uncles set up for the light in his loft......

Just have a quick check for obvious defects or potential problems.

I got a belt from a horrific DIY job where my uncle had wired a plug on both ends of a flex to power the light in the loft.

I didn't check this and when I unplugged one end, it was still live as other end was plugged in and it hurt!!

If every using anybody else's electric appliances or set ups, in my case my uncles set up for the light in his loft......

Just have a quick check for obvious defects or potential problems.

I got a belt from a horrific DIY job where my uncle had wired a plug on both ends of a flex to power the light in the loft.

I didn't check this and when I unplugged one end, it was still live as other end was plugged in and it hurt!!
ч
Tell uncle never to play with electrics like this ..... Is this even allowed !?

ч
Tell uncle never to play with electrics like this ..... Is this even allowed !?

No way is it allowed. It's like allowing a plug with a flex and 3 exposed wires. Pins on the plug are just the same when the other side is live

To aid adding inhibitor, leak sealer or cleaner ect Make one of these up, keep compression fitting loose as then u can keep filler upright and tighten into rad. Take blanking plug out of other side as it avoids gurgling.
esyvepu4.jpg

Solder a bit of 15mm into a 1/2 to 3/4 rad stump. Attach to hose. Draining down via a rad or makes syphoning easier. If rads are 15mm tail type just attach 3/4 valve and use 15mm connection.
4a5utava.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a drain of hose exactly the same as that one great if theres no drain off hopefully snatch a small radiator and drain away

To aid adding inhibitor, leak sealer or cleaner ect Make one of these up, keep compression fitting loose as then u can keep filler upright and tighten into rad. Take blanking plug out of other side as it avoids gurgling.
esyvepu4.jpg

Solder a bit of 15mm into a 1/2 to 3/4 rad stump. Attach to hose. Draining down via a rad or makes syphoning easier. If rads are 15mm tail type just attach 3/4 valve and use 15mm connection.
4a5utava.jpg

for inhibitor i use half an auto air vent and bent male iron with o ring, and the very same make up for draining with no drain off. good call.

if you come across a deck sink tap thats leaking from the spout to deck joint and theres no grub screws. turn the spout usually to the right so its parallel with the cold head and pull and wiggle it up. theres a spring loaded bearing and a slot in the deck that makes it only possible to pull out at this angle. re o ring and replace..jobs a goodun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will remember that one changed my mothers only yesterday for the reason that I couldn't find a grub screw! to be fair it was time for a change anyway

Get a ladder base mate
a8yhy3u2.jpg

Then ur ladder will be a lot safer when ur on the 3rd floor roof. Or helping dickie of his horse. Also a ratchet strap fastened to wall will make u a lot safer !

Get a ladder base mate
a8yhy3u2.jpg

Then ur ladder will be a lot safer when ur on the 3rd floor roof. Or helping dickie of his horse. Also a ratchet strap fastened to wall will make u a lot safer !

Who's been on a ladder access course then :smile:
Don't forget your ropes and bucket hook :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock