Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
When at work, always keep a 15mm and a 22mm push-fit stop end in your pocket, you never know when you might need it.

I always carry a spare gas test point screw in my pocket in case I drop one when testing.

That doesn't work if you suffer from short term memory....

Get home find the spare in your pocket and sh.. Yourself:D

I did that once. I found a test point screw in the bottom of a meter box. Someone must have dropped one previously. I stuck it in my pocket and forgot all about it. I stuck my hand in my pocket next morning whilst in plumb center and turned white when I felt it. It was a moment or two before I remembered picking it up. i puckered so much they needed a drain rod to remove my undercrackers from my behind.

DIY radiator vibrator. Not having a lightweight drill with a rotary stop, I wanted to use hammer action of Hilti TE2 to assist power flush. Solution:- Take piece of hardwood, ( I used beech offcut of old table leg) , Drill 13mm hole 3mm deep and insert small steel washer. Use blunt short stem 12mm masonry bit in drill. Washer centralizes drill bit while at the same time allows rotation and prevents penetration of wood. Of course if you have a rotary stop and a diamond core set, then the 1/2"BSP to SDS adapter can be end capped with a standard fitting, use hole saw to produce suitable size discs from the wife's plastic chopping board, super glue to fitting and for the price of a new chopping board,(optional), you have a solution at a fraction of the price of some well known products.

qy7uqahu.jpg

Use the top item to make the bottom one and use it to hold the ring clip things open. Like the ones on the radiator hoses in your car engine.

myheqyny.jpg

Keep these from old mixer taps. Come in handy when a customer wants to reuse old taps or the one with a new tap struggles to fit etc

Useful boiler tip. Check gas meter to see if a) is a pre-payment or not & b) if its got credit if it is. Spent ages wondering why a boiler wouldn't fire up only to find credit was finished. Doh!

Pick up the red elastic bands that the Posties love discarding all over the streets, and pop a few in your cordless drill case. When your drill battery dies if you can't put it straight on charge, put a band round it to show its a deadun. Next time you open the case you'll know which needs to go straight on the charger.

One of my mates bought a similar one that are designed for keyboards and similar applications, and he found out the hard way, luckily no serious damage was done. They are usually cheaper than the air dusters for gas applications. Moral of the story cheapest is not always the best.

This may seem obvious to some but it took me a couple of installs to work it out.

Drill the tap holes in a bath and do the pipe work but don't fit taps until the end when you've done your silicone. Looks way better than the feeble attempt of sealing behind the taps with little room.

Can't always be don't this way but when it can its worth doing!!

never leave a full bundle of 22 in a un ocupied house over night! no matter if they have an alarm or not! i never leave tools and dont usualy leave any materials that arnt fixed but i was allready soaked wet through and couldnt be botherd making another trip!! another lesson learned get wetter and save money!

never leave a full bundle of 22 in a un ocupied house over night! no matter if they have an alarm or not! i never leave tools and dont usualy leave any materials that arnt fixed but i was allready soaked wet through and couldnt be botherd making another trip!! another lesson learned get wetter and save money!

Good job you didn't leave your kit aswel then mate.

i once had all my gear taken down to the old knackerd tools you put in the spare bag "just incase" so now i never leave anything first time i have left anything since the last time and its gon again! worst thing is it will most likely become scrap!! not even used propperly!

A dermel and their little slitting discs have saved the day for me when trying to remove seized pump nuts with tight access. Slice a little slit in the nut and use a chisel to spread it.

i once had all my gear taken down to the old knackerd tools you put in the spare bag "just incase" so now i never leave anything first time i have left anything since the last time and its gon again! worst thing is it will most likely become scrap!! not even used propperly!

I keep my 3 babies (18v makita drill, 240v makita angle grinder , 240v jigsaw) in a spanner bag. They don't stay in the van, ever. Also nobody sees the big branded box. It's easier to carry them. And even the people on my street don't know what's in the bag. It works for me

dont know if its been mentioned before but, when drilling with a long drill bit from inside of property to outside , mark the bit with insulating tape so you know when to turn hammer action off sds when your abou 1/2" from the outside , this prevents exploding the plaster off external wall!!!! belive me it does work!!!

Get one of these!

milwaukee-m12-hackzall.jpg

Best buys I have made in a long time!

It eats up joists, plastic pipe, battens and the like. Put a demolition blade in and off you go all day long . . . .

You can even use it like a jigsaw - the fun never ends!!!

When I was installing some Hardybacker board this beauty was one of the only tools up to the task!

Still I would upgrade to the bigger batteries soon as it really does cain the small (1.3ah) ones.

if you get a tap that has loosened up because of a split top hat and you cant undo the water connection or cant get to it easily (i have had this happen before) . instead of undoing the water connection , jest unscrew the backnut a bit down the tap thread . then cut a 1 1/2" (ish) square piece of ply and drill a central 20mm hole in it, then cut from side to the hole as to create a kind of C piece of ply that can be slid easily inbetween the bottom of the sink and he backnut , then tighten in back again , this acts as a tophat without the need to dissconnect the tap if you cant turn the water off or something!

if you get a snapped lockshield pin because somebody has closed it too tight with a wrench and you cant open it again because it has snapped too low to the gland , jest undo the gland nut totally then you have much more of the pin to hold with pliers to open it again , obviously you would jest replace the lockshield , but this trick has helped me out before, dont know if its just common sence but i struggled for a while trying to open it before this idea came to my head!

im a maintance plumber at the moment, i often get broken trv heads because somebody kicked them by "accident" or something, i work for somebody else so i keep a small box of various old heads in my van for a quick replacement, my pocket personally would not benifit from a draindown or whatever for a valve replacement! i get them from other guys in work that do heating replacements!

spray shower door runners with silacone spray , does a hell of a diference ! they run much smoother!!! also gives the van dashboard a lovelly smell & shine!!!!

if you get a tap that has loosened up because of a split top hat and you cant undo the water connection or cant get to it easily (i have had this happen before) . instead of undoing the water connection , jest unscrew the backnut a bit down the tap thread . then cut a 1 1/2" (ish) square piece of ply and drill a central 20mm hole in it, then cut from side to the hole as to create a kind of C piece of ply that can be slid easily inbetween the bottom of the sink and he backnut , then tighten in back again , this acts as a tophat without the need to dissconnect the tap if you cant turn the water off or something!

You can get split top hats mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock