Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great tip! Although I'm not sure why you'd need ptfe on cylinder unions.

There is the odd occasion when you can't get the standard cylinder unions on and this could be handy (I used to do it). Most of the time now I use stainless steel cylinders which come with compression fittings already in place.

Must be a regional thing, I've always been taught to use female irons on cylinders and that is what I'm given by the merchants when I ask for the fittings for one.

i have to admit aswell for years i used FI on cylinders, normally got them in fittings packs from the company i was working for. I do use the proper unions now.

Got to say, I've use Fi's for years too!

If a comp' fitting would work on the cylinder, I would use that.

I am sure when I compared cylinder coil fittings to Fi's the Fi's were cheaper.

I haven't fitted a vented cylinder for a few years.

I've changed the odd one that's split, and they normally have FI fittings on em if my memory is right.

Must be a regional thing, I've always been taught to use female irons on cylinders and that is what I'm given by the merchants when I ask for the fittings for one.

Well there you go! Apologies for the slight!

I am sure when I compared cylinder coil fittings to Fi's the Fi's were cheaper.

Just checked plumbfix prices and 22 x 1"FI is exactly the same price as 22 x 1" cylinder unions.

I find cylinder unions quicker to use as there is no faffing about with tape though. Just a wee smear of jet blue.

Keep a pair of old 15mm and a pair of old Belmont type radiator valves in your van so if you are taking a radiator off without draining the system you can whack them on the radiator when disconnected so you don't drip black water around when you take it outside.

Keep a pair of old 15mm and a pair of old Belmont type radiator valves in your van so if you are taking a radiator off without draining the system you can whack them on the radiator when disconnected so you don't drip black water around when you take it outside.
Any chance of a pic to help us see what you mean.

Just checked plumbfix prices and 22 x 1"FI is exactly the same price as 22 x 1" cylinder unions.

I find cylinder unions quicker to use as there is no faffing about with tape though. Just a wee smear of jet blue.

Just checked plumb c. £3.80 for Fi £4.43 for cyl.union in EF.

Close the valves to keep the water in the system, undo the valves off the radiator and swap for your old ones, keeps the water in the radiator without having to rely on putting your thumbs over the holes!

Try looking at Williams and Co. prices, much better than those. A lot cheaper than Plumbfix as well.

Gonna order a cylinder and boiler from them this week, just printed off the account form :)
That reminds me to PM Ray.

Close the valves to keep the water in the system, undo the valves off the radiator and swap for your old ones, keeps the water in the radiator without having to rely on putting your thumbs over the holes!

Turn the radiator upside down ! But make sure bleed screw is closed !

Or as I said a few weeks ago
When removing rads:
(Assuming you've prepared the system appropriately and have your old towels under the valves etc)..
Have a couple of male compression caps at hand (1/2 or 3/4 dependng) and, once the rad is undone from the valve, gently separate and lob the cap in between, then do your rad-side nut up. No need to drain inside the house, no leakage, just carry outside and empty there. (obviously this will make the rad heavier so this will only work if its a smallish rad, or if there are 2 of you, or if you look like Croppie and can lift one in each hand...:))

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...umbing-no-banter-please-45.html#ixzz2PFZTWmMG
:37:

just crack the rad nut and use you wet n dry to suck up the rad contents, flick rad upside down and walk it out. No spills, no mess, no doing your back in! simples

Thanks for the heads up Danny. Bought one today. Thanks to mike for the idea too 2013-04-02 16.04.02.jpg

8e5ysyhe.jpg

I knew you'd all catch on eventually. You should have a non return and isolator on them really though folks.

P.s. this sprayer is about £6 at stax.

is this quicker than drainging a small amount of water from a towel rail, then topping up with chemicals??

keep your van tidy!!! save lots of time looking for tools and parts (AKA my mentor)

is this quicker than drainging a small amount of water from a towel rail, then topping up with chemicals??

There isn't always a towel rail.

Yes it's pretty darn quick. Not as quick as the Fernox F1 cans, but not far off.

invest in a listening stick, can help locate partial blockages. open all lockshields and trvs etc full then go round accessible pipework putting the stick on it. you usually get louder velocity noise in the local of a restriction.

invest in a listening stick, can help locate partial blockages. open all lockshields and trvs etc full then go round accessible pipework putting the stick on it. you usually get louder velocity noise in the local of a restriction.
pls post a link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock