Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great tip! Although I'm not sure why you'd need ptfe on cylinder unions.

There is the odd occasion when you can't get the standard cylinder unions on and this could be handy (I used to do it). Most of the time now I use stainless steel cylinders which come with compression fittings already in place.

Must be a regional thing, I've always been taught to use female irons on cylinders and that is what I'm given by the merchants when I ask for the fittings for one.

i have to admit aswell for years i used FI on cylinders, normally got them in fittings packs from the company i was working for. I do use the proper unions now.

Got to say, I've use Fi's for years too!

If a comp' fitting would work on the cylinder, I would use that.

I am sure when I compared cylinder coil fittings to Fi's the Fi's were cheaper.

I haven't fitted a vented cylinder for a few years.

I've changed the odd one that's split, and they normally have FI fittings on em if my memory is right.

Must be a regional thing, I've always been taught to use female irons on cylinders and that is what I'm given by the merchants when I ask for the fittings for one.

Well there you go! Apologies for the slight!

I am sure when I compared cylinder coil fittings to Fi's the Fi's were cheaper.

Just checked plumbfix prices and 22 x 1"FI is exactly the same price as 22 x 1" cylinder unions.

I find cylinder unions quicker to use as there is no faffing about with tape though. Just a wee smear of jet blue.

Keep a pair of old 15mm and a pair of old Belmont type radiator valves in your van so if you are taking a radiator off without draining the system you can whack them on the radiator when disconnected so you don't drip black water around when you take it outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME! PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK...
Replies
Views
How has 2022 been so far? How's the economy affecting you? Any tips? This email has been sent to all members of the forum. I thought we could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock