Search the forum,

Discuss How to become faster at plumbing in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

L

LcC007

Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a decent rate but, I have seen plumbers that are faster than I am. Any help would be appreciated.

New Builds.
Just chuck it in and let the next bloke doing the fit-off deal with your stuff ups.

How much experience do you have compared to the faster plumbers?

Fortunately, I don't do volume work and rarely worked to a fixed price.

New build is not my thing and might not be yours, just for a different perspective.

I know a few new build/site Plumbers. When they have worked for me, they are not much quicker than me when doing the type of work I do. In fact when on commercial work they are slower through lack of experience or because we might be using different materials than they're used to, which is understandable.

As mentioned above, repetition is a factor if all houses are the same or similar.
As Simon said, study & thought save time. Make a brew, stand and look at the job. If you've done it in your head, you'll see the best way to do it which will save time.

I can't stand things not being plumb, level or square and that dictates my speed. Some have a view that if a man on a galloping horse thinks its straight then that'll do! This is another factor sometimes on sites.

Some good points above but do remember we are not equal! Some guys will always be quick.
I did my time mostly on commercial work but then went house bashing for years mostly first fix (I've literally done thousands)
Always aiming for neat accurate work snagging and call backs cost money.
Try to make sure all materials are to hand every trip to van/cabin costs time!
I know never blame your tools but decent equipment can certainly speed thing up.

What’s the comparison? How quick are you compared to the others? Is there something they’re doing you’re not? We had a “plumber” once who rifled through his jobs, circa 15 per day (General repairs) what they (office staff/management) seemed to be ignorant to was 5 or more of those were coming back in on callout as emergency leaks, or problem wasn’t fixed, et al.

Try to make sure all materials are to hand every trip to van/cabin costs time!
Good point, that's a major slow down for us all. A few minutes at the van going over what you need in your head, saves hours over a week.
In a similar way, a well stocked van saves merchant trips than can take an hour off your working day easily, or extend it unnecessarily.

Reply to How to become faster at plumbing in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock