Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping/Squeaking Kitchen Tap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know.

Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related?

The previous kitchen tap started off the same way after a few years of use, then the dripping became a dribble, and in the end it started whistling even when not in use so I ended up replacing it earlier this year. The problem got quite bad quite quickly in the end and so the intermittent dripping now is setting off warning bells in my head...!

We replaced it with the same model. Replacement was earlier this year, around April. We do live in a very hard water area (East of England) but we are supposed to have two filters to prevent limescale (one on the boiler and one by the tap) according to our landlord.

My questions are twofold:
1. General advice on what may cause a tap to drip, drizzle, and eventually whistle (it was loud enough the neighbours heard it)?
2. If you suggest checking the washers, could someone point me towards the best kind to buy? I had previously tried to change the washers on our old tap, but I believe the ones I got were too "thick" (3D and not flat, if that makes sense) so it would be great to have some tips on what to look for in a DIY store.

Thank you all for any advice you can give. Still a bit of a plumbing newbie, so every little helps.
Lou

It will be under guarantee if it’s only 6 months old - I’d go back to whoever supplied and fitted it, don’t start mucking about yourself.

It will be under guarantee if it’s only 6 months old - I’d go back to whoever supplied and fitted it, don’t start mucking about yourself.

Thank you for the advice, however I was the one who 'supplied and fitted' it because the plumbers in my area had almost one month lead time and the whistling was driving us round the bend. I found the exact same model at Homebase and installed it myself without issues. So I assume no warranty can save me here... Any other ideas to understand what may be causing it would be appreciated, even just so I can point the next plumber at the right problem.

Reply to Dripping/Squeaking Kitchen Tap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock