Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

dont put pushfit on chrome pipe.......ever

when buying 15 & 22mm e/f couplers, get the ones with a dimple rather than a crimp in the middle (the bit that stops the pipe).

as you can file the dimple and use them as slip couplers like for repairing nail holes in pipes where access is limited.

always always always carry a spare gas bottle on your van..........

When you forget your lighter always remeber to turn the gas down before you light your ciggarette of the blowtorch

Understand how the water works and know how to turn it off in an emergency before you tackle a job. You don't always have to turn the water off to do every job (e.g. change a ball valve) but if something goes wrong (and it does) you need to know how to control the situation.

When cutting through a pipe/changing washer, drain down by opening a lower tap. For example, if changing a bathroom tap washer, turn off water then open downstairs tap then open bathroom tap. If you hear a suction noise, then you know the water's drained.

When turrning back on, check for air in each tap you've opened so customer doesn't get wet after you've left. If the water is cloudy it means there is still a potential for an air lock so keep stopping and running the water until it's clear.

When you forget your lighter always remeber to turn the gas down before you light your ciggarette of the blowtorch

Make sure you have a hot ticket before you do this in someones loft space... ;)

Always fill the kettle before you turn the water off

Be carefull when soldering near block. And dont use a grinder when you have heating oil on your knee pads :S

A helpful one now, to rid airlocks in hot or cold open both taps whilst holding your hand over fosset, or use a section of hose

A pound in the hand is worth 2 in the book.

stick a pipe clip on rad pipes when installing valves to prevent compression nuts sliding down and disappearing beneath the floor. or use a couple of wraps of ptfe around the pipe.

KJ

always get money for meterials upfront so you dont get stung twice

always check token meters for credit

Always carry a 15 & 22mm speedfit stop end in your tool box. You don't want to make a mad dash to the van in case you need one in a hurry.

Don't over tighten compression fittings as you will crimp the olive too tight and it will weep.

Get into the habit of photographing work as you do it. Especially hidden pipe runs, and concealed work in general. It will make your life much easier if you ever have to revisit a job in the future.

Don't rely on a thermostatic rad valve to hold back the water. It may cool down in the room later and open up. Make sure you either cap the supply with a small length of 15mm pipe and a speedfit stop end, or use the correct cap on the valve head to completely close the valve.

A scaled up manometer can be cleaned with a bleach solution, left to soak over night. Flush through the next day and it will be nice and clean. I now fill mine with a Rothenberg fluid which never leaves a mark and is coloured.

If you're on a job, late call out and you don't have the appropriate circulating pump to replace one that's not working....try isolating the supply and removing the head (have something to catch the water) then clean and grease the insides. Can be done in 10 minutes and will often get a pump working again until you can return the next day with a new one.

Another tip is to practise things like above with any parts that you remove, that way when you're on site you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed.

Buy a wet vac, they can be used to remove airlocks, clean dirty F & E tanks, and catch water when it's too awkward to have a deep bowl or bucket.

If working in a loft for a considerable period of time, make sure you cut a small piece of ply to bridge three joists and give you a platform to work from, your knees will thank you for it and you won't slip and put a hole in the ceiling.

If an expansion vessel on a boiler is knackered and you face removing half the boiler to get at it....consider installing a new expansion of the correct size elsewhere in the system and leave the broken one in the boiler.

Buy the best tools you can afford. You'll only realise the benefit of this if you have struggled with cheap tools...and buy a decent head torch.

The quickest way to clean paint from a pipe you need to solder a joint on is to give it a quick blast with the blow torch and then a rub with some wire wool.

If a central heating system has no drain off point, find a small radiator downstairs (lowest point possible) remove it in the normal way and then attach a washing machine valve to rad valve, or suitable a small length of 15mm copper tube and a backnut/olive. Then attach a hose to the pipe or it using washing machine hose - cut the hose and fit a small length of 15mm pipe to the w/m hose with a jubilee clip. Then attach a hose. Finally run your hose to a suitable drainage point, open the rad valve and away she goes.

There’s loads more, but it's very hard to think about what you do on a day to day basis, and the silly things you did when you first started out.

if you going to do power flush always change rad valves before begin power flush

is that cos there prone to failing under pressure?.

yes,did happened to me ,but luckily it did on ground floor were concrete floor ,ever since new valves !!:cool:

Oil fired boilers:

A windscreen wiper bush puller is ideal for getting burner fans off, and removing small motor bearings. It is also a good deal cheaper than a bearing puller.

Most Riello / Electro Oil motors take 6202RS bearings. These are the same as many alternator bearings and are readily available from car parts suppliers and as such a good deal cheaper than from plumbers merchants.

For tanks below the level of a burner you need a priming pump to draw the fuel into the burner. Again obtainable from most automotive tool & parts dealers.

When installing fuel lines to tanks below the level of the burner, remember to use the correct bore pipework, (usually 8 or 6mm diameter but given in your OFTEC installation file). 6mm plastic coated copper is cheaper to buy from a hydraulics merchants than an oil fired heating suppliers.

If you are into night fishing or night activities, get a Tilley lamp as you can run this on all the waste kerosene from cleaning filters / emptying old tanks etc.

Fitting Taps:

Hang onto a few short lengths of different size MDPE (Alkathene) pipe. For a basin tap, cut a 3mm ring off some 25mm alkathene pipe and it makes an ideal spacer to centralise the tap in the basin hole, likewise 32mm for bath taps (you may need to open the ring or cut a little out in some cases.)

Overflows:

To connect 21.5mm solvent weld overflow pipe into the Marley or 3/4" solvent weld, warm the end of a piece of 21.5mm overflow pipe with a blowtorch and shove some 20mm MDPE pipe inside and allow to cool. The end of the pipe will be spot on to fit in the larger bore overflow fittings.

Likewise if you have one make of overflow where the pipe is too tight to fit into another make's fittings, warm the pipe and shove it into the fitting to make a looser fit.

Levelling guttering, checking pipe levels or general building:

Forget messing about with Dumpy levels - use the centuries old tried and tested way - take a length of semi transparent hose which is clear enough to see through and tie both ends pointing upwards where you want to check levels. Fill the hose with water so that the water level is visible at your reference point. The water level at the other end of the hose will be exactly horizontal to the one at the reference end.

Last edited:

always carry a pot of vicks vaporub in the glove box. when you are on a particularly smelly job rub a bit inside each nostril.
i have ever since i fitted a mixer shower for a guy who wipes his rse on the shower curtain i won't get caught like that again!!

KJ

when fitting pillar taps point it to 3 o'clock and tighten the back nut up as much as poss then crack the tap round to point where it should and it aint budging any time soon

one i remembered from pluasne

make an air test kit by stripping the rubber off an old tyre schraeder valve and solder it into some 10mm (i think) then solder into a 10x15 reducer connect the 15mm to a compression fitting, get yourself a foot pump and away you go.

KJ

Removing airlocks from a gravity system: put a washing machine hose on the cold washing machine valve and connect it to the hot valve open up both valves for a few seconds till you hear it bubble in the cylinder this will clear the airlock

A temporary fix for a faulty expansion vessel: drain and refill the system and bleed all radiators except 1 this radiator will act as a temporary expansion vessel

For your bending machine.
Measure your bend as you would normally and put it in the machine and put a pencil mark on the wheel at your size mark.
Pull your bend and check the size is correct. If it is cut a saw draft on the side of the wheel where the pencil mark was (you may need to adjust it a mil or 2 back or forward). Do the same with the other wheel.
You now have a permanent mark to go by and don't need to fk about measuring.

Use a piece of bicycle inner tube and a jubilee clip as a temporary repair for a punctured pipe.

Don't use washing up liquid when fitting WC pan connectors as this can spoil the rubber. If you don't have any of the proper lubricant, use normal household soap.

To clean brick dust off grout I use an old worn out shaving brush of mine.

When you are using a spirit level to get a straight line over a distance, think - is it easier to use a plumb bob and / or chalk line? The hosepipe trick I mentioned on a previous post is useful when marking out for tiling long walls / around rooms

Joiners plastic shims are extremely useful for siting sanitaryware on uneven floors or boxing in on uneven walls. The white ones are the ideal size for spacing tiles off a bath / shower tray or worktop when tiling, to leave enough room for silicone

When making push fit joints, make a line with a marker pen on the pipe approximately level with where it should push into the fitting so you can tell if it's completely home when assembled.

If you are using the service valves supplied with Armitage Shanks WCs these have a plastic olive (which I have seen slide off the pipe under pressure on two occasions) so do not install in such a way that the pipe can blow off - Install into rigid pipework or use another brand of service valve.

Last edited:

When drilling holes on concrete floors or walls for a fixing, after removing drill bit, use a air bellows pump (normally used for air testing on soils or air testing 1st fix gas carcass) with a piece of 8mm/10mm copper tube wedged in and insert to base/end of hole and pump out all dust and debris thats left after drilling. Sometimes helps to look away or wear goggles though!!

When drilling holes on concrete floors or walls for a fixing, after removing drill bit, use a air bellows pump (normally used for air testing on soils or air testing 1st fix gas carcass) with a piece of 8mm/10mm copper tube wedged in and insert to base/end of hole and pump out all dust and debris thats left after drilling. Sometimes helps to look away or wear goggles though!!

I use a turkey baster. I kid you not. Hilti have a tool for blowing dust out before resin fixing. It's basically a turkey baster with a red handle.

Hilti - £50
Sainsburys - £3

Just as good.

just read threw these and im sure i read it on hear before but instead of leaving your solder brush in the bottom of your tool bag/box take an old length off 15 mm flatten and roll one end the cut to the length of your brush and use a jg speedfit on the other end keeps your brush nice and clean and stops making a mess in your bag

p,s thanks to whoever posted this before

Attach the formers for your pipe bender onto the bender frame with large strong rubber bands - you will never need to go hunting through the toolbox for them again!

Leave your welding rods in a biscuit tin in the bottom of the oven after it has been on. It will keep them free from damp and ready to use.

If you have left rods in your van and they have got a bit damp overnight, lay them on tinfoil on top of your engine block (provided you have had a decent drive).

four lengths of threaded bar, washers and plenty of nuts make an ideal jig for setting up parallell flanges and pipe sections for tack welding.

Always carry a basin and sink telescopic P trap as part of your kit - one size fits all!

Last edited:

A sherry bottle cork is the ideal size to use as a quick temporary plug for a sprinkler head when the bulb has blown.

if. like me your van has no roofrack and you keep your copper tube inside the van and it can be seen through the windows...

i simply put my 15 in my 22 and my 22 inside waste pipes, then to any opportunist scrote having a sneaky look inside can only see plastic pipes and is more likely to leave my van alone.

KJ

if you get that fresh pasta that comes in plastic trays, hang on to the trays as they make good drip trays also ice cream and margarine tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock