Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

dont put pushfit on chrome pipe.......ever

when buying 15 & 22mm e/f couplers, get the ones with a dimple rather than a crimp in the middle (the bit that stops the pipe).

as you can file the dimple and use them as slip couplers like for repairing nail holes in pipes where access is limited.

always always always carry a spare gas bottle on your van..........

When you forget your lighter always remeber to turn the gas down before you light your ciggarette of the blowtorch

Understand how the water works and know how to turn it off in an emergency before you tackle a job. You don't always have to turn the water off to do every job (e.g. change a ball valve) but if something goes wrong (and it does) you need to know how to control the situation.

When cutting through a pipe/changing washer, drain down by opening a lower tap. For example, if changing a bathroom tap washer, turn off water then open downstairs tap then open bathroom tap. If you hear a suction noise, then you know the water's drained.

When turrning back on, check for air in each tap you've opened so customer doesn't get wet after you've left. If the water is cloudy it means there is still a potential for an air lock so keep stopping and running the water until it's clear.

When you forget your lighter always remeber to turn the gas down before you light your ciggarette of the blowtorch

Make sure you have a hot ticket before you do this in someones loft space... ;)

Always fill the kettle before you turn the water off

Be carefull when soldering near block. And dont use a grinder when you have heating oil on your knee pads :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock