Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean up after you've finished a job, even if the lady or gent of the house says it's fine.!!!

Check that all controls etc. are working before you start a job so that you don't get stitched up when they don't work afterwards.

Different Models Of Listening Sticks By Vernon Morris At Reasonable Price.. you only need the 8" one. better than sticking a screwdriver to your ear which ive seen done. can get extensions as well for checking for mains leaks..

I've got one of these from Machine Mart.
Clarke CHT171 Mechanics Stethoscope - Machine Mart

Cheap and does the job.

040213250.jpg

Those of us of a certain age will remember from early childhood that to get milk from a tin it is necessary to make two holes so air gets in as milk comes out. Working on closed heating systems, once pressure is released, this principle has numerous applications:- Radiators can be drained by fixing hose to remote drain off and then opening air vent at radiator, Rad valves can be changed one at a time without drain down, inhibitor can be added by siphon and the replacement of air faulty air valves etc. is a doddle.

When called to deal with blocked sink always replace the bottle trap. The client will perceive more value in the replacement than the one minute it takes to clean the existing and the husband will not be embarrassed for not having done it himself.

When called to deal with blocked sink always replace the bottle trap. The client will perceive more value in the replacement than the one minute it takes to clean the existing and the husband will not be embarrassed for not having done it himself.
Are you suggesting that the bottle trap should be replaced with another bottle or replaced with a tubular trap, because the sink is blocked ?

Not commenting on merits of traps but on clients perception of value. People who would not get out of bed for less than £500.00 per day begrudge paying us half that sum to cover our costs and wages. Won't even comment on pensions and holidays.

probs been covered before but when fitting for customers who know your job 10 times over mark the fittings with illumines pens the ones the require blue light to see then you can see that they have taken the trap off and put it back on and then for some strange reason its threaded and leaking just saved a bit of agro!

McAlpine make a 20mm plastic compression union, keep a few on the van. These are invaluable for repairs to overflow or condensate pipes as they will take the slightly bigger and slightly smaller variants of pipe.

A temporary fix for a faulty expansion vessel: drain and refill the system and bleed all radiators except 1 this radiator will act as a temporary expansion vessel

And it will work even better if you stop the flow through this radiator - i.e. close one (and only one) of the two valves

McAlpine make a 20mm plastic compression union, keep a few on the van. These are invaluable for repairs to overflow or condensate pipes as they will take the slightly bigger and slightly smaller variants of pipe.

I've used 22mm speedfit before now:)

For IKEA waste pipe fittings.

If the pipe provided is smaller diameter than the UK pipe, soften the end with a blowtorch and push ontor something cylindrical of a large enough diameter which has been greased, to stretch it.

When fitting solvent or push fit pipes make sure any lettering is faced away from the eye

Did a customer pull you on that Lee :lol:
We have all done it at some point but it looks bad.

Btw cast iron should always have the stamp facing forward for any numpties that follow to identify it.

Following on from WHPES you can make a socket on any size solvent plastic pipe by gentle use of the blow lamp. Use this method for joining dissimilar overflow and waste or if you are ever short of a union even on 4".
The trick is learning how to get it to look good and even all round :wink:

No tamz I probably have like but I've seen it on 3 repairs this week long runs and it wound me up

I never used to bother too much until i got pulled up on it years ago and had to change the pipe. Not a big deal for 4ft of pipe and a couple of fittings but it made me aware of it ever since and now it does my nut in too :smile:

I never used to bother too much until i got pulled up on it years ago and had to change the pipe. Not a big deal for 4ft of pipe and a couple of fittings but it made me aware of it ever since and now it does my nut in too :smile:
What was the problem ?

I'm sure it must of been posted but I'm not reading 761 posts to find out! Here goes, make sure the kettles full before turning the water off!!

Invest in a cheap engraver, for when some little........idiot walks off with your tools and claims its theirs!

As well as engraving stuff, daub your name across it in paint. Makes power tools much less desirable.

Write all over your power tool batterys or wrap them in insulation tape. Stops others on the site swapping their deads with your lovely working ones!

Feins and other multi tools (i have a milwaukee) can save you the headaches of cutting joists with no access or copper that you cant even get a junior hacksaw too!!

invest in a decent multimeter and learn how to use it, its a great help and could potentially save your life!

Always wash your hands after cleaning your flux brush, and before going for a wee.

Out of flux and chilli's...id go with chilli's!
Past experience!

oh and laco flux fumes are the equivalent of breathing through a land rover exhaust pipe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock