Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or make your own using one of these tools.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371890572693.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371890572693.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 243
if you get a tap that has loosened up because of a split top hat and you cant undo the water connection or cant get to it easily (i have had this happen before) . instead of undoing the water connection , jest unscrew the backnut a bit down the tap thread . then cut a 1 1/2" (ish) square piece of ply and drill a central 20mm hole in it, then cut from side to the hole as to create a kind of C piece of ply that can be slid easily inbetween the bottom of the sink and he backnut , then tighten in back again , this acts as a tophat without the need to dissconnect the tap if you cant turn the water off or something!

You could try a Split Klick top hat washer, does the same thing

Never start a bathroom until you have all the sanitaryware on site ,even if your merchants guarantees it will be there on set day !!

this doesn't really work if your a sole trader but more of an employee

if while your cleaning up and a customer tells you "don't worry about that i'll get that" and you leave assuming the customer is quite happy cleaning up the remainder of the mess no matter how small, INSIST that you finish up cleaning up and its part of the job.

This happened to me before it was 7pm and the following day I got pulled up from the boss because customer complained about the mess I left.

Trust no one!

If the customer wishes to do the labouring for the job and you are happy with that, you need to write down exactly what you need them to do and what they are not expected to do when you put your price together.

Never loads the rubbish into the van without first making sure they don't mind you taking the scrap.

If they want the scrap, they can also have the rubbish.

Someone got me with the a few weeks back.

Never loads the rubbish into the van without first making sure they don't mind you taking the scrap.

If they want the scrap, they can also have the rubbish.

Someone got me with the a few weeks back.

to avoid that :
always list on your quote/estimate remove of rubbish and scrap mettal is included in the price

I always state "remove and clear away". The money from the scrap pays for the waste removal and my waste licence. If the customer wants to keep the scrap they can pay a disposal charge for the rubbish.

And also illegal. It will make a really good impression on your customers when your picture is splashed across the local paper leaving court after you've been prosecuted for the illegal disposal of trade waste. I know the cost of rubbish disposal hurts but it's something we all have to live with.

I usually just cost in the size of an appropriate sized hippo bag, clean tidy ,collected no bother. Plus I only have a teeny weeny van :)

if your letting the scrap men take rads from site have a bucket of water handy cos they dribble black muck everywhere everytime..

I'm currently only doing boilers so my scrappy takes my old boilers and my rubbish for £15 per boiler, Yes I know i could make more by stripping down but I'm too busy and he takes my rubbish away so I win and he wins. If you could find a similar arrangement then happy days

If you are replacing an open vented boiler which has the flow and return drop feeding from above into the boiler and there are currently no air vents cut into the pipes above, then save yourself alot of hassle and install air vents while you install the boiler otherwise you will be trying to shift an airlock for quite some time.

especially if there is very little head of pressure, and the cold mains is poor

pump wasnt next to boiler though it was quite a bit away next to cylinder, and the new boiler wasnt top entry was bottom
I understand but I would have not fitted any unless pipe work from boiler had a long horizontal run ......
I would have fitted and I alway do a drain of on the return just next to boiler and when filling up I always run hw only first and then run ch separately ....
We all had them 2-3h to clear the air lock on a open vent boilers ....:)

if your letting the scrap men take rads from site have a bucket of water handy cos they dribble black muck everywhere everytime..

keep the plastic plugs that protect the tappings in new rads and put them into the tappings of the old rads, this will stop getting black sludge everywhere, this also helps when carrying a rad down stairs or in a clean property.

keep the plastic plugs that protect the tappings in new rads and put them into the tappings of the old rads, this will stop getting black sludge everywhere, this also helps when carrying a rad down stairs or in a clean property.

Cracking idea !

if both inlets are at bottom, turn rad upside down, simples :)

No not simples, read post 817 plastic plugs will stop this, also will stop sludge running round your van if you are taking a rad away, also carrying a large rad downstairs and you never know you may trip when carrying a rad, as you know black sludge goes through dustsheets. your idea is fine if in a property with no carpet and you are putting a rad directly into a skip.

Simples maybe, but some clown will come along and forget when the rads are standing outside, pick them up and presto, black slime down the drive, it happens.

Simples maybe, but some clown will come along and forget when the rads are standing outside, pick them up and presto, black slime down the drive, it happens.

:iagree: this was the main point as the scrap collectors do not care about a clean path/drive

It's a good idea, but I won't use it. It's upside down and out into the van (stood upside down) and I'm the scrappy man :) My pockets are to full to be fannying on with old rad caps. But each to their own,

i always spin em upside down through properties so sludge in house not a problem..like the plug idea to stop the scrappys jackson pollocks'in the drive.

Oilies: always check the nozzle is what the pot says it is, twice now I've found it to be wrong.

I always put in the terms and conditions that the value of the scrap metal is taken into account when I arrive at the final price (in reality it covers me for unforseen extras). Regarding the rest of the waste, it really depends on how much there is and I itemise it on estimates. Some customers decide to get rid of the rubbish themselves, others ask you.

Close vent and up side down is the easiest way !! If you have time you can do what ever you like but best trick of the trade is to up side down them and rads go in the back of the van(the only safe place for scrap is back of the van without many people seeing you ) never ever leave scrap or copper pipes outside the house where you are working

When draining down, always count and record the number of rads you open. I've just worked in a very large house with 47 rads, missed the 2 in the walk in wardrobe, came back next day and had to get on with this:

Drawing and dining rooms, ceilings knackered. One sofa to recover, one large carpet to replace. Thank God for PubLib.

Worst day of my working life, the poor custards were very good about it when they came back from holiday Saturday morning. A real pride denter, stupid, avoidable mistake. I hope someone else can learn from it!

de6apy6a.jpg

When draining down, always count and record the number of rads you open. I've just worked in a very large house with 47 rads, missed the 2 in the walk in wardrobe, came back next day and had to get on with this:

Drawing and dining rooms, ceilings knackered. One sofa to recover, one large carpet to replace. Thank God for PubLib.

Worst day of my working life, the poor custards were very good about it when they came back from holiday Saturday morning. A real pride denter, stupid, avoidable mistake. I hope someone else can learn from it!

de6apy6a.jpg

I feel for ya pal. thats why i hate it when custards are away or out and i have to post keys back through..Always get paranoid on the way home..

de6apy6a.jpg

Oh flip, your an absolute sport for putting this up. That's a real ****er mate. like you say, thank god for public liability insurance!

The person that never made a mistake doesn't exist.
Bad luck fella but you will learn from this error:thumbup:

Bunker, I feel for you mate, hope everything turns out ok. I guess most of us if not all have made a similar mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock