Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a fein or any other multi tool there blades are very expensive, keep the old blades that are worn and weld hack saw blades on the end.

Little tip:

Have a system of storing your everyday tools that you repeat every single day.

I have always worked this way, but did some work with another plumber the other week, and realised he didn't do as I do.

It's all about repetition so it becomes second nature. I clip my van key with a carabiner to side as soon as I leave the van. Phone goes in pocket on left thigh. On my key ring I have a vent key, a meter key, and a washer that I can use to isolate ballafix valves in a pinch.

All my tools in the tote back go back in the exact same place every day. So does everything else in the van. So when I need something, I know where to place my hands to it straight away. How people don't work with this system is beyond me, but if you are one of these people. Adopt a system and stick to it. I do it as by nature I am a skatty forgetful person. So if I don't have a system I end up leaving tools behind, losing stuff, and generally more stressed.

Little tip:

Have a system of storing your everyday tools that you repeat every single day.

I have always worked this way, but did some work with another plumber the other week, and realised he didn't do as I do.

It's all about repetition so it becomes second nature. I clip my van key with a carabiner to side as soon as I leave the van. Phone goes in pocket on left thigh. On my key ring I have a vent key, a meter key, and a washer that I can use to isolate ballafix valves in a pinch.

All my tools in the tote back go back in the exact same place every day. So does everything else in the van. So when I need something, I know where to place my hands to it straight away. How people don't work with this system is beyond me, but if you are one of these people. Adopt a system and stick to it. I do it as by nature I am a skatty forgetful person. So if I don't have a system I end up leaving tools behind, losing stuff, and generally more stressed.

my vans like that untill i work with an apprentice, then im hunting around for weeks trying to find tools that were stuffed in gaps or thrown in.. found a pair of 14" stilsons and some thread cutting fluid in my domestic servicing box once, thought it got a bit heavy.

Yeah, lads are a bit good at upsetting the apple cart, but I always explain that I'm clearly a weirdo and must maintain the system. Then they know it's me being a gimp but that's how I have to work.

That said, got out my socket set today. Everything all over the place. Last person to use it? Apprentice.

im with whn1 on this gotta look alright from a distance...

never fit a rad out of level unless specifically told to by customer or agent you cant argue with the bubble if they want it changed afterwards then they pay if you fit it out of level and they dont like it then you have no argument cos they will always say its your fault

Yeah, lads are a bit good at upsetting the apple cart, but I always explain that I'm clearly a weirdo and must maintain the system. Then they know it's me being a gimp but that's how I have to work.

That said, got out my socket set today. Everything all over the place. Last person to use it? Apprentice.
Got two new boys, finally got them to understand clean the gear away and stack it besides the van but never load it!

Got two new boys, finally got them to understand clean the gear away and stack it besides the van but never load it!

Risky! I don't leave a screwdriver outside job or van. Walked outside to find cordless jigsaw level and tape on the front lawn of a house on a lovely estate... Hid it then asked lad to get me jigsaw..

never fit a rad out of level unless specifically told to by customer or agent you cant argue with the bubble if they want it changed afterwards then they pay if you fit it out of level and they dont like it then you have no argument cos they will always say its your fault
i do fit them unlevel. Obviously telling the cust or whoever the reasons. a level rad under a drunk sill looks awfull and a rads part of the astheatics of a room. gotta agree to disagree bud.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is all about common sense when it comes to whether you fit a rad level or not ??

If it looks wrong then it is and as for deliberately asking to be paid extra to alter as far as I am concerned you would be flying off site very fast !
I have worked on listed buildings for 30 years and we even build extensions on the :censored: to suit the original !
One architect we worked with had us putting in floors on the :censored: ! It is actually harder to do that than get the string line out .
As with everything in the building trade it is all about knowing your trade and the clients expectations we have gone to war with an architect before as he was blatantly ignoring the clients instructions ,at the end of the day they pay our wages so I listen to them ?

I always thought a reciprocating saw was over rated until I discovered LENOX blades it turned the saw into a great tool was really suprised at the difference which was what the guy at the fixings company said when he gave me one to try he said you will be back for more !
I was and it just shows you never stop learning !

I always thought a reciprocating saw was over rated until I discovered LENOX blades it turned the saw into a great tool was really suprised at the difference which was what the guy at the fixings company said when he gave me one to try he said you will be back for more !

I bought some of these off ebay and thought they were absolutely rubbish, they are not a patch on the Bosch blades, even the cheapo Silverline blades are better.

They left me in a right pickle when i was cutting a CWSC out, i will never use no name brands again because of it.

yes I have tried all othe brands and would say LENOX are the best not cheap though !
I think they are American ?
The ones from ebay must have been a copy I would think ?

Lenox are part of the Irwin family. Blades aren't cheap. Possibly fakes from china? Or wrong blade selection ?

Heat up any coupling to red hot, drop in water to cool rapidly, clean up, place on end of same sized pipe as fitting, tap down (I use pipe former as flat), and the lip in middle will stretch out giving you a slip coupling, got me out of grief plenty

The main frustration with Plumbers Mate centers round how to manipulate it. Nobody doubts it works when applied correctly but it's just properly hard to use. If you've got to return a WC to a pre-existing dodgy-looking pan connector you've not the time or inclination (or available stock) to replace, a ring of plumbers mate round the WC spigot (properly cleaned with an abrasive pad and some wipes first - oh joy) will sort it every time.

The way I've found that works is to never handle the same mm of it for more than half a second at a time. Keep it moving from finger to finger or it will stick to you. When you've got it where you want it start proding it at a million miles an hour, really quick, soft, finger moments pressing and persuading it this way and that. It starts to mould to your will rather than act like an autonomous little beggar. Bit like the wife.

The main frustration with Plumbers Mate centers round how to manipulate it. Nobody doubts it works when applied correctly but it's just properly hard to use. If you've got to return a WC to a pre-existing dodgy-looking pan connector you've not the time or inclination (or available stock) to replace, a ring of plumbers mate round the WC spigot (properly cleaned with an abrasive pad and some wipes first - oh joy) will sort it every time.

The way I've found that works is to never handle the same mm of it for more than half a second at a time. Keep it moving from finger to finger or it will stick to you. When you've got it where you want it start proding it at a million miles an hour, really quick, soft, finger moments pressing and persuading it this way and that. It starts to mould to your will rather than act like an autonomous little beggar. Bit like the wife.

Don't know how we got onto plumbers mate, but back when I used that, which was a long time ago I did a couple of things.

I mixed a ball from a new tub with a ball from an old tub to give a better workable consistency. If I didnt have half an old tub, I would form a ball and roll it out on a bit on newspaper to remove some of the excess oil.

Haven't used plumbers mate for years, and don't see myself using it ever again!

Plumbers Gold on the other hand. Always carry a tube in clear and white. Lovely jollop!!

And the best way of getting plumbers mait off your fingers is to rub another ball of mait over it and that will snowball rather than stay stuck to you

Did no one ever play with putty when you were young? Fresh putty is much stickier but smells nicer.

Don't know how we got onto plumbers mate, but back when I used that, which was a long time ago I did a couple of things.

I mixed a ball from a new tub with a ball from an old tub to give a better workable consistency. If I didnt have half an old tub, I would form a ball and roll it out on a bit on newspaper to remove some of the excess oil.

Haven't used plumbers mate for years, and don't see myself using it ever again!

Plumbers Gold on the other hand. Always carry a tube in clear and white. Lovely jollop!!

theres no oil in plumbers mate your thinking of putty

theres no oil in plumbers mate your thinking of putty

There clearly is oil in it. Leave in in a warm place for 2 weeks on a tray. It will split like Beurre blanc left under hot lights. Oil makes about 15% of it. That's why u shouldn't use it to seals sleeves on gas pipes.

Think you have the repair one there Tamz the standard old style is

[DLMURL]http://www.indanc.com/downloads/pdf/Evo-Stik/Plumbers_Mait.pdf[/DLMURL]

Very dangerous stuff this one LOL
i like this line best seeing as it is designed for use on waste joints
"Stop leak if possible without risk. Do not contaminate water sources or sewer. "
how does that work???

one just popped to me today (im sure others will have used it plenty like as its so obvious but hey) when replacing a towel rad or standered rad upstairs and you cant find a drain off without lifting a trap or 2, find a downstairs rad has modern bleed valves you can drain straight into a large flexy tub through the bleed valve nice and easy allthough this wont allways work if all rads have been dropped from above

one just popped to me today (im sure others will have used it plenty like as its so obvious but hey) when replacing a towel rad or standered rad upstairs and you cant find a drain off without lifting a trap or 2, find a downstairs rad has modern bleed valves you can drain straight into a large flexy tub through the bleed valve nice and easy allthough this wont allways work if all rads have been dropped from above

That would take all day and is not the best way to achieve what you did.

Far better to isolate valves and remove vent plug and replace with a compression coupler with a bit of pipe on it then open valves and fill a bucket or stick hose on pipe.

Far better to isolate valves and remove vent plug and replace with a compression coupler with a bit of pipe on it then open valves and fill a bucket or stick hose on pipe.

Isn't that pretty much what the OP is saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock