Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have done a hole with a holesaw but its the size too small and want to make it larger, then obviously its not as simple as just drilling away because you have nowhere for the centre bit to go and holesaw will just sbin around everywhere. you can do a jig with some ply, drill thr requred size hole thru the ply then scew that ipece down to the floor or whatever over the hole you want to make larger, this will keep the holesaw in place to start drillig!

if you have done a hole with a holesaw but its the size too small and want to make it larger, then obviously its not as simple as just drilling away because you have nowhere for the centre bit to go and holesaw will just sbin around everywhere. you can do a jig with some ply, drill thr requred size hole thru the ply then scew that ipece down to the floor or whatever over the hole you want to make larger, this will keep the holesaw in place to start drillig!

also a great way to start off tile drilling, tile coring or even core drilling in awkward locations.

Starret actually make holesaws you can fit inside each other to make that process easier

Good idea!
Another way to do it if the hole is too small is to have the larger hole cutter you need & screw a hole cutter (same size as tge smaller hole) inside it - which will stick out a little more & act to guide the outer cutter. Brilliant for when you need to drill larger holes in plasterboard ceilings for down lights.

the ones i have wont do this as i tried, also the thread is not the same size on all of the set!

Laminate floors are a pain but not the end of the world, after fault finding a dead and empty radiator I deduced the problem pipe work had to be under the laminate floor in the dining room. I told the customer it had to be partially removed and I would do my best to put it back properly. I found two valves under there both turned off but I'd removed more or less half the dining room floor.

I was quite suprised that I managed to get it all back in one piece and when the customer came back from work she even said " so you didn't need to take it up after all!"

As long as you put the cut pieces in a seperate pile you cant really go wrong, also you have to ideally work backwards from the way it was fitted so start with the full length cut side.

This is just normal 6mm laminate though, don't know how easy it would be with the 18mm solid/engineered wood.

But its worth knowing it can be done for those of you that didn't know!

Laminate floors are a pain but not the end of the world, after fault finding a dead and empty radiator I deduced the problem pipe work had to be under the laminate floor in the dining room. I told the customer it had to be partially removed and I would do my best to put it back properly. I found two valves under there both turned off but I'd removed more or less half the dining room floor.

I was quite suprised that I managed to get it all back in one piece and when the customer came back from work she even said " so you didn't need to take it up after all!"

As long as you put the cut pieces in a seperate pile you cant really go wrong, also you have to ideally work backwards from the way it was fitted so start with the full length cut side.

This is just normal 6mm laminate though, don't know how easy it would be with the 18mm solid/engineered wood.

But its worth knowing it can be done for those of you that didn't know!

Grabbing a market pen and jotting on the backs to remind you which ones belong I. A row together might not be a bad idea either.

I've found the main thing is when you put two ends together its making sure they are PERFECT or the entire joint line will have a tiny gap and look bad

I keep a small piece of 9mm ply about 800mm x 400mm in the van.

I wrap it in a dust sheet and lay it across a bath when working on taps or showers. The same for a basin when changing taps and washers.

Stops you from dropping a spanner and damaging things and can slide under your toolboxes in van so doesn't take up any room.

Same principal when tiling a bathroom Kyle , put your cutter on it saves you bending down all the time

Same principal when tiling a bathroom Kyle , put your cutter on it saves you bending down all the time

I always put my cutter on top of its case, on top of my hop up.

For tiling above a bath, get a bit of old worktop/ply with a bit of nice soft carpet stuck to it.

Last edited:
get the snazzy bosch hole saw sets with the quick release arbor.

as they wear out you can take out the quick release section off the old holesaw and put on most other brands !!
the quick functionality of the quick release with any hole saw

*looks online for new starret hole saws to fit his bosch arbor*

I keep a small piece of 9mm ply about 800mm x 400mm in the van.

I wrap it in a dust sheet and lay it across a bath when working on taps or showers. The same for a basin when changing taps and washers.

Stops you from dropping a spanner and damaging things and can slide under your toolboxes in van so doesn't take up any room.
this reminded me always put the plug in or pop up down when working on tapssaves taking the trap of to find the screw or nut youve dropped in the basin

Haven't read all the thread so I might be repeating what someone has already posted but, I always keep a couple of spare test nipples, old rad air vents and the top off a thumb screw air vent
I once dropped a thumb screw air vent cap whilst filling (on my own) and couldn't find it anywhere, ended up tying my jumper around it while I ran back to the drain off........
Lesson learnt

When removing things like monobloc taps keep backing plate/washer and on CH pump keep bleed screw. You can guarantee they will find the only hole if dropped....never to be seen again !

Try to plan ahead and have a second way of getting the job finished before you even start if you get part way through the job and isn't going according to plan !

Window fitters use about a hundred mastic tubes per window....ask them for a handful of left over unused nozzles, they have hundreds of them, very useful for us.

Service engineer mate of mine showed me this tip today.

for boiler expansion vessel replacement or testing ( with braded hose) he uses a brake pipe clamp to clamp the flexi hose, then replace vessel or test without draining the boiler or system.

one of these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 128

for boiler expansion vessel replacement or testing ( with braded hose) he uses a brake pipe clamp to clamp the flexi hose, then replace vessel or test without draining the boiler or system.

one of these.

That is genius, unless it could damage the line?

one of these.

Not sure I like the idea of crushing a braided hose. Pinching the hose alone wont allow you to test the expansion vessel unless you also detach the hose before testing the charge. Flexible break hoses are quite different to braided plumbing hoses. You can buy schrader valve extensions from truck supply stores which can make connecting to concealed valves easier. They are intended for lorries with double wheels each axle end to allow the inner wheel valve to be reached from the outer wheel but they work great for expansion vessels.

one of these.
bet thats good for clamping plastic pipes

bet thats good for clamping plastic pipes

I usually clamp plastic with my teeth at arms length from where I'm gonna cut it, then give it a snip and whack a valve on it.

The above method works in england and wales however due to poor dental hygiene should not be attempted if you are scottish.....:p

u2asuba3.jpg

When your on a job and there isn't one it's polite to fit one. Sick of muppets who fit system or do a boiler swap and neglect to spend £3.49 and two mins to fit them !!!!!!!

one of these.

Had a thought about this yesterday as I removed an exp vessel. You only have to let the pressure off not drain the system down anyway. I then wind a cap onto the flex just to stop the drips.
If you did use that clamp then the vessel would still have pressure in it and would make a mess.
Just release system pressure (ideally from a drain off or rad, try to avoid the temptation if the PRV)

Don't most boilers with internal exp have ISo valves and drain off? With most intergalactic filling loops u can empty boiler off? That is if the previous fitter understood regs and fitted nrv on cold not ch

If you're going to change the syphon on a close couple toilet that's been in for a few years, it's always worth having a spare donut and bracket handy as the old one will probably be rusted to buggery :(

If you're going to change the syphon on a close couple toilet that's been in for a few years, it's always worth having a spare donut and bracket handy as the old one will probably be rusted to buggery :(

Just buy a fluid master kit from our forum sponsor Williams and co for a very reasonable £19 and it comes with a bracket and donut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock