Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main frustration with Plumbers Mate centers round how to manipulate it. Nobody doubts it works when applied correctly but it's just properly hard to use. If you've got to return a WC to a pre-existing dodgy-looking pan connector you've not the time or inclination (or available stock) to replace, a ring of plumbers mate round the WC spigot (properly cleaned with an abrasive pad and some wipes first - oh joy) will sort it every time.

The way I've found that works is to never handle the same mm of it for more than half a second at a time. Keep it moving from finger to finger or it will stick to you. When you've got it where you want it start proding it at a million miles an hour, really quick, soft, finger moments pressing and persuading it this way and that. It starts to mould to your will rather than act like an autonomous little beggar. Bit like the wife.

The main frustration with Plumbers Mate centers round how to manipulate it. Nobody doubts it works when applied correctly but it's just properly hard to use. If you've got to return a WC to a pre-existing dodgy-looking pan connector you've not the time or inclination (or available stock) to replace, a ring of plumbers mate round the WC spigot (properly cleaned with an abrasive pad and some wipes first - oh joy) will sort it every time.

The way I've found that works is to never handle the same mm of it for more than half a second at a time. Keep it moving from finger to finger or it will stick to you. When you've got it where you want it start proding it at a million miles an hour, really quick, soft, finger moments pressing and persuading it this way and that. It starts to mould to your will rather than act like an autonomous little beggar. Bit like the wife.

Don't know how we got onto plumbers mate, but back when I used that, which was a long time ago I did a couple of things.

I mixed a ball from a new tub with a ball from an old tub to give a better workable consistency. If I didnt have half an old tub, I would form a ball and roll it out on a bit on newspaper to remove some of the excess oil.

Haven't used plumbers mate for years, and don't see myself using it ever again!

Plumbers Gold on the other hand. Always carry a tube in clear and white. Lovely jollop!!

And the best way of getting plumbers mait off your fingers is to rub another ball of mait over it and that will snowball rather than stay stuck to you

Did no one ever play with putty when you were young? Fresh putty is much stickier but smells nicer.

Don't know how we got onto plumbers mate, but back when I used that, which was a long time ago I did a couple of things.

I mixed a ball from a new tub with a ball from an old tub to give a better workable consistency. If I didnt have half an old tub, I would form a ball and roll it out on a bit on newspaper to remove some of the excess oil.

Haven't used plumbers mate for years, and don't see myself using it ever again!

Plumbers Gold on the other hand. Always carry a tube in clear and white. Lovely jollop!!

theres no oil in plumbers mate your thinking of putty

theres no oil in plumbers mate your thinking of putty

There clearly is oil in it. Leave in in a warm place for 2 weeks on a tray. It will split like Beurre blanc left under hot lights. Oil makes about 15% of it. That's why u shouldn't use it to seals sleeves on gas pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you have the repair one there Tamz the standard old style is

[DLMURL]http://www.indanc.com/downloads/pdf/Evo-Stik/Plumbers_Mait.pdf[/DLMURL]

Very dangerous stuff this one LOL
i like this line best seeing as it is designed for use on waste joints
"Stop leak if possible without risk. Do not contaminate water sources or sewer. "
how does that work???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock