Search the forum,

Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started the T4TS Plumbing Course about 2 months ago.. I am finding it very interesting and think that it is a really involved trade to learn.
But i am under no illusions that this will be easy or a quick way into a high paying career reguardless of the sales pitch that was given.
I spoke to a Tutor or a TA this morning they confirmed that i would be doing my Practical @ Luton based on the course that i was doing.
Its going to take time and i will have to give up evenings and weekends if i have to to get the necessary experiance required to competently goto a job on my own and be let loose on someone's home.
Yes its alot of money but think about it in the long run.

What will you achieve by investing money in yourself?

Ive been reading alot of the posts on this forum and i too still have doubts, I am doing this course to try and get me from between a rock and a hard place (a career that seems to be going no where despite been doing it for 7 years). end of the day no one can take the qualifications away from me.

Also do what is right for you! don't sign up if you don't think that you will be able to put in the required time.

Hello Karl...Its not all about the time and the effort that you put into these training courses..its all about what you get out of it at the end....be it a tech certification..an OCN ..or a step towards an NVQ.. whatever load of crap you ve been sold....I hope you researched it all before signing up...cos I didn,t and I got stung for £4000...bringing home a 6022 and 6032..which does nt mean anything in the trade....yeah I got my water regs Qualification but it does nt matter with those type of City and Guilds awards.....

Sorry to hear that Mark.

TBH i didn't do much research. I had the questions answered that I had over the phone. I asked what i would be doing i.e where and when. what qualifications i would get and how long the average person takes to complete the course.

Im doing the C&G 6129 L2 & L3. Im going to call local plumbing companys looking for someone to take me on to show me how to be a competent reliable plumber. And to see how to properly fault find system problems, rather than text book faults 1 problem 1 solution thats all you need to know.

I will continue to post based on my views and outcomes of this course and how it has or hasn't worked for me and if it works out for me. I have no problem telling anyone thatreads these post if its a scam or not, my opinion so far is not.

Regards

Hi Karl

When I signed up for my course I was told and assured that the qualifications that I would recieve would be at NVQ level...They are just credits towards an NVQ....My qualifications are a step below yours..I would nt like to see you ripped off in any way and I hope you are aware of this information below.....

After successful completion of the 6129 students often go on to complete the City & Guilds 6089 NVQ while working as a self-employed plumber or for a plumbing company.

Basically paying a large sum of money for just a step in the right direction..

regards Mark

Ok.....having only NOW heard about this train for trade SCAM business i'm very worried...signed up (enrolled) yesterday...paid my £100 enrollment fee, signed up for the NVQ level 3 course at £5700..i'm REALLY concerned...WILL i get the qualification's i need? although i want to be able to get the practical experiance while doing this course, i know it's a lot of money but as a mum of young twins i can't afford the childcare fee's for college. SOMEONE MUST have something good to say about this? i'm getting very worried that i have made a big mistake. (saw them advertised on TV by the way)

Ok.....having only NOW heard about this train for trade SCAM business i'm very worried...signed up (enrolled) yesterday...paid my £100 enrollment fee, signed up for the NVQ level 3 course at £5700..i'm REALLY concerned...WILL i get the qualification's i need? although i want to be able to get the practical experiance while doing this course, i know it's a lot of money but as a mum of young twins i can't afford the childcare fee's for college. SOMEONE MUST have something good to say about this? i'm getting very worried that i have made a big mistake. (saw them advertised on TV by the way)

These course are what they are you will probably get your 6129
But for nvq 2 and 3 you will have to be working as they are mostly site visites to see your work
I don't know how they can get around this
But in a real world like a lot have said on this forum if you have not got the experiance you will not get a job
Plumbing is a hard job you won't learn it all from books you need to be doing it day in day out to learn
£5700 is a lot of money if you can't afford it I don't know where you come from but I'd personally recomend you don't waste your hard earned money
If you realy want to be a plumber go to your local collage see what courses they do try basic plumbing course it you like it carry on and try to get an apprentice with a local firm it won't be easy in today's climate but you can only try
I'd hate to see anyone ripped off but especially a mother
All the best
Gray

cancel cancel cancel...phone them and tell them you have changed your mind,write to them and send it recorded delivery,once barclays partner finance pay them 5770 you will never be able to get out of the agreement....you only get a week to cool off so do it now,trust me i have tried everyhing to cancel but i cant get out of it and they WILL let you down big time.....good luck

Hi,

I know how you feel, I have two kids of my own and it was imprative that I made the right choices. I cannot take time off to go to college either and I signed up to this course.

It's not a scam. They really will get you qualified to the right level. I fouind the payments reasonable, I pay £80 a month, and no interest is added.

What people are complaining about mainly is that when you finish, employers may be dubious of your skills because you didn't do it the traditional way.

However! I personally think that if you work hard, learn the trade, practice as much as you can and pass your exams you would be as good as someone who went through an apprenticeship. (Plus I imagine you will be more passionate to succeed).

It's a combination of the lack of work out there and the smeared reputation of many 'fast track' courses out there which give people the willies.

It of course is up to you what you want to do.

I'm nearly ready for week 3 and 4 which is about half way through I guess. I'm really enjoying it. I can't complain: There's lots of competitions on where you can win substantial amounts of money, you get tool-kit vouchers (mine were worth £200 from Rothenberger) the practical training is well structured and intensive, the modules are well written and informative, tutors are available if you have any questions and you get to study at your own pace.

It's up to you what you do with it after you finish, if you are smart and get your name out there effectively, what is stoping you from succeeding?

I have found, after reading a lot of these forums and threads, that most people call 'scam' because they aren't really sure they want to be a plumber and then can't get their money back or because theres loads of time-served plumbers scaring everyone that the certificates aren't worth anything. (experience is most valuable)

I disagree that the certificates aren't worth anything. This course really is hard to get through and the exams are not easy. They make you learn properly. I have completed my water regs, and half of the level 2 cert exams and I really had to know my stuff to pass them. In fact, I almost feel ready to get out there now.

Well said Rob. I completed my 6129 last April and I was well impressed with everything from the theory to the practical. Look as it as a sound foundation to furthering your desire.

I am glad I found this thread particularly because I first registered to reply to another thread on the forum from someone who says their name is joanna calling t4ts a scam. I have seen lots of similar postings on various boards and forums as the starter to new threads all using similar phrases. Most, I reckon are nothing more than spoof postings from people with an agenda, maybe even a bit of stirring from rival companies. My experiences with this company (got nvq2, into gas on nvq3) have been totally different from the impressions given by these posters. The stuff I read and the claims made are just idiotic. Take a look at some of them and ask yourselves "is that right or might they just be less bright than they thought they were or just looking for an excuse to back out because money got tighter?"
Check them out and make your own mind up on the validity but base it on the facts. The company responds to enquiries so someone must have requested details either from a flyer, tv advert, jobsearch site or jobcentre. I found them on totaljobs. Then they will have had a phone call to check if enquiry genuine and a few questions are asked before deciding if an appointment is needed to give details of course and to check if the person is suitable. At the interview stage I was asked all sorts of questions about my motivations and reasons to want to be a plumber, what i was doing, looking for workwise, what my plans were if i got the course and a good amount of detail to make sure i really wanted to change my direction in life by retraining. Then the guy explained how the studies were done so i could decide if the training methods suited me. I saw a dvd showing me the facilities and the 3d software. Then, when I said it looked right for me he explained prices and explained how the funding worked. I knew how much in total, at zero percent, how much a month and over how long. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. When i agreed to go ahead (two days later after researching) I gave details for a credit search but since i was unemployed i couldnt expect a main bank to help so i was accepted by another provider who still took me on to help me even though my rating was fairly poor. Couldnt have done it otherwise and certainly not in one go. Paid my registration fee of £100 and got my course starter. Havent looked back, good support, easy way to get the same qualifications as college but to nvq3 which they dont do at a normal college. NO CON NO SCAM

Did all the parts of 6129 but had to take my time over it because i got a job that made it difficult to get time off. I go to Southampton, so far its taken me just over a year but thats cos i had to take the job and recover some income for the family's sake. Not going to get into a long thread about the company, just so fed up seeing people knock it when it works well for me, and I know most of the whingers are probably just people struggling to do the theory looking for an excuse to get out of the finance. Its hard to do in parts but giving up and blaming or defaming others for their own failure just seems stupid. If it was dodgy why would Barclays be dealing with them? Aren't they ofsted inspected too? The cdf company who did my funding have to be registered with the fsa (I checked their registration) so as far as I am concerned it all seems to be exactly as I was told. The agent I saw told me everything I wanted to know and I even have his contact number and spoke to him twice with questions. Maybe the problem for others is seeing an agent who didnt explain things as well as my bloke did but I am happy with how its going. Everybody thinking of doing the course should maybe ask loads of questions like I did to make sure they understand everything first. Make your own minds up and look into the real reasons behind some of those complaints as most look a bit dubious and planted. That other thread looks that way.

Anyway thats me done, rant over. Whoever you go with good luck.

I am also with t4ts and think they have been amazin! No problems like all these old school people on here avin a good old whinge about it! I think I have learnt an awful lot at my own pace and able to learn practically at my own pace to! Doing all of this while holding down a full time job too so put the hours in and it will pay off!

Good luck trying to find a job in this climate once you all finish ya 20 day training courses, try explaining to an employer while your better than a bloke who's done a 3 year hands on apprenticeship.

Cheers heinz it's hard enough to get on with it without people like u always putting downer on things! We can't all afford to retrain full time!

Hey Heinz, is 57 your IQ?

Our training includes a comprehensive section of business training so we dont have to look for a job, or rely on others. The purpose is to get us starting our own business by being self employed. You obviously know nothing about the course or what it involves. Sorry, but your downer attitude is typical, maybe your life is negative but keep it to yourself eh?

To some the pint pot is half full, to some its half empty but negative people like you seem to just want to take away the pot from others.

And Mr Neggy Heinz, the course is based over 11 weeks of full on practical after a very comprehensive theory training. WE learn how to avoid making mistakes by learning not just how to do it properly, but also by learning all of the potential mistakes and their consequences so we dont make them in the first place. Your 3 year hands on guys get 3 years of learning from their mistakes in the customers homes with most of the theory being given by the guys they work with, thats not necessarily a high standard of training; thats less than reassuring isnt it. That 3 years is mostly spent as slave labour anyway, doing the grunt work with very little real training except for the college nvq2 day release so its nothing to boast about. Very 1970's "good enough for my father and his father" attitude. New standards and new techniques seem to have left you behind somewhat but nevermind. If you dont properly understand it your opinion is not really worth considering in the greater scheme of things.

Hey Heinz, is 57 your IQ?

Our training includes a comprehensive section of business training so we dont have to look for a job, or rely on others. The purpose is to get us starting our own business by being self employed. You obviously know nothing about the course or what it involves. Sorry, but your downer attitude is typical, maybe your life is negative but keep it to yourself eh?

To some the pint pot is half full, to some its half empty but negative people like you seem to just want to take away the pot from others.

"Our training" Are you an employee of train4trade skills? Sure sounds like it! Im laughing for so many reasons and you'll find out why when you get out there into customers homes. Your ignorance is staggering, they have reeled you right in and you have fallen for their BS hook line and sinker. I think its bad how you've been conned and when you go out there self employed you'll know it too. The amount of fast trackers that get kicked off jobs is staggering and no i don't think its funny but all i see is people like you making a balls up. Have you got £10000 ready for your self employed adventure? I spoke to a guy who did his fast track course, he was taken aside with the other boys and was told to do a CV, this five minute conversation was the "business advice" so good luck with that. As for my iq, it was 147 in college, thats doctor standard baby so maybe i'll go and do a fast track brain surgery course and you can be my first patient!:p

People want to believe that fast track courses are great and lucrative at the end. Employees or owners of private companies will have you believe its a positive attitude that wins the day.

The reality is somewhat different, but if you point this out your likely to be called 'negative'. Well if all these people belive the positive frame of mind wins the day pay out your money and good luck to you. I hope for yourselves it works out, the stats suggest otherwise.

dont believe something to be true just because someone said it was

Don't get me wrong I am not so naive onto thinking that once I have finished my course I am going to be fine working all in my own self employed! I am going to try and get a job with a company or plumber for some years to come because I know you can't learn everything from practical and written exams!!!!

So sorry to hear your dreams of being in the medical proffession were dashed but so glad you didnt choose to be a doctor heinz, championing a training style that favours learning from your mistakes in the field. I can just see you in surgery going oops. Dont believe your generalisations let alone your IQ. Just sticking up for the guys like me who do the course at southampton. Fuzzy has a good point for both sides of the debate;

"dont believe something to be true just because someone said it was"

Likewise dont believe people like you who knock training courses just because they dont like them themselves, its each to their own and i needed to keep working as well as training so the style was ideal for me. You dont know the content or the methods of training so your opinion is baseless. If you had done the same course I am going through and your opinion was based on personal experience then I would value your opinion. You havent so I dont. So it doesnt take a brain surgeon to recognise you are just someone with an inflated sense of your own importance, like people should listen only to you. I am already getting work coming in self employed, only stuff like radiators and bathroom fits, but i am on a secondary income of about £220 working my weekends. Might be best in your life to stick to what you know yourself not pass opinion on something you know nothing about. Your life must be very sad. Spare us the benefit of your less than valuable opinion and stick to what you know not what you want others to THINK you know. "Doctor standard baby" my ar*e, more like the janitor.

Good luck trying to find a job in this climate once you all finish ya 20 day training courses, try explaining to an employer while your better than a bloke who's done a 3 year hands on apprenticeship.

3 year? mine was 4 also all the ones ive ever been invloved with have been 4.

others, make your own mind up, which route is right for you, just dont believe that there is a good living out there just waiting for you, not that you cannot achieve it, just that it isnt likely, some will make it and some wont, do it for the right rreasons and it was the right choice regardless

fuzz

Hi everyone! Let me introduce myself, I'm on the T4TS course, C&G 6129 Level 2 & 3. Started in April this year & I've just completed
mod24. I haven't been on any practicals yet, because just before I passed mod12 I got a letter telling me only after I reached the minimum payment of 1300. Now I've completed mod24 and a couple of days ago I got another letter letting me know to go to 3rd & 4th practical week I have to reach 1600 at least. Called them up and found can only finish the course after the full payment is made.
To be honest I'm not going to moan too much, they gave me the chance to go on this course where others refused due to my bad credit. The course is what it says on the tin. The study material is quite good and with my input and positivity I can't see how I can fail to better my life and family.
Call me sad, but I've read all posted messages in here since 2008, a lot of negative feedback but there is a lot of positive ones as well. I chose to get on with it and be positive. In my opinion T4TS are like other course providers but at least they gave me this oppurtunity and I'm going to make the most of it. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL !!
Sorry this was so long I want do it again. Angelo

Last edited by a moderator:
there is no C&G 6129 level 1? Have they even told you what your doing for your money?

its worrying how many of these fast trackers post on here thinking they can solve the biggest problem with just 8 weeks of training or ten weeks or however long these various courses tend to last.

and i know they are learning the same curriculum as we all have that did the 6129 but they are not getting it to the same standard. it is rushed!

i will never employ a fast tracker, one cos i dont kno his skills and two my apprentice is more handy to have as he is bright he knows his trade and before any of you naysayers tell me im not paying him enough i pay him a weekly wage of £400. i trust him to do the job without any mistakes, if he does he sorts them, not only that the boy learns real quick, he is an asset to my company, and im already taking applications for my next one, to replace my current one when he wants to go solo next year.

i know he is time served and trained properly to deal with the nightmare jobs and to not screw a job up cos he has that valuable expereience and learnt his trade over 4 years. in that time he has learnt from difficult jobs we have had to deal with, seen me struggle to keep the money coming in during the tight times.

i just dont think you get that with this type of course that is often bandied about the place. Good luck to all of you, but you are taking a big big risk. i for one wouldnt be wanting to pay thousands. i remember my apprenticship, i paid for it at the time, £500 per year, that is the true cost of a course, not these over inflated prices.

Im so glad that C&G are bringing in thi diploma as it might just might put a stop to these private centres misleading people over what they can actually do.

The new diploma will require you to be in employment before you can start it with someone who is already qualified i have been told (so i stand to be corrected)

ff
there is no C&G 6129 level 1? Have they even told you what your doing for your money?

Well spoted, it is true then, you do have a big IQ. Obviously there is no C&G 6129 NVQ L1. I'm actually doing C&G 6129 NVQ L2 & 3.
Yes they have told me exactly what I am doing for my money and yes it is my money, get it?

When I finish, I am not looking to be a employee again, probably a sole trader to begin with. Don't get me wrong I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, but with the right attitude a lot of effort, good advise and support I believe I will be able to make a living.

Last edited by a moderator:
ff

Well spoted, it is true then, you do have a big IQ. Obviously there is no C&G 6129 L1. I'm actually doing C&G 6129 L2 & 3.
Yes they have told me exactly what I am doing for my money and yes it is my money, get it?

When I finish, I am not looking to be a employee again, probably a sole trader to begin with. Don't get me wrong I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, but with the right attitude a lot of effort, good advise and support I believe I will be able to make a living.

good at least you know where you are going and whre you have been, lots of posters on here (rad the threads) come on with the attitude that they will be fully qual'ed inc experience and be able to take on the world, sadly thats not the case and many of them go back to their other job full time. the stats show it all!!

i wish you the best of luck as its a dog eat dog world out their.

ff

Well spoted, it is true then, you do have a big IQ. Obviously there is no C&G 6129 L1. I'm actually doing C&G 6129 L2 & 3.

So no NVQ then?

Re: train 4 trade skills scenario 4

hi

i see you are on senario 4, any tips on how to complte senario 1? thanks, apache

People say they have researched this in detail then get confused over the levels and types of qualification on offer. I think 'research' is more than often a case of talking to salespeople err i mean advisor's.
Both quals are 2 years out of date anyway, very old hat and a large cost, government are putting all money into apprentices at all ages so why would people pay all this money on an outgoing qual? Didn't the research pick that up?

We are struggling to get hold of T4TS. They came round to speak to my husband about the course. Rang to follow up but he hadnt made a decision so he said he would call back. He hasnt and now we cant get hold of them. Rang the call centre and they couldnt help. All we can do is go on a database for info to be sent. Has anyone got a phone number to enrol?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock