Search the forum,

Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

world9563

Hello All

Looking for some advice are these worth anything in plumbing world as just paid alot money for this course C&G 6022-02 / 6032 / 6128 / 6084 also do bepec water supply reg 1999 and bepec shower installation module please help as will try cancel this if possible if they mean nothing

if you are looking for a job in plumbing then no there not worth much, if your looking to go self employed as plumber or bathroom fitter then you would be better looking at C&G 6129

I qualified last month with train 4 trade skills and i had no problem finding work. The qualifications are city and guilds and as far as i know the only difference between the 6128 and the 6129 is that the 6128 does not include a lead assesment. Its also no nvq related so theres no level 3 attached at all. Instead of 2 years of on the job assesment i had a large assesment covering all aspects at the training centre from c and g assesors. I put my CV with c+g quallification numbers into a number of local heating and vent companies and all bar one got in touch with offers to start work the following week. The reason i used these guys was simple. Level 2 is not qualified and without a work placement its impossible to get the certification you need at level 3. Speaking to the City and guilds staff at the training centre i was told that train 4 trade skills will make a huge impact on the industry because of the 3d simulation software. The fact is even if i was lucky enough to find a placement i would not have been exposed to the general repair and problem solving aspects of the trade so even with level 3 i would need more experience to be totaly compitant.

The NVQ system had churned out a low standard of plumber, so much so that the pass mark for the end exams is 40% just so we can get new guys in the industry. Myself and most of the other students passed in the 90's partly to do with the standard of the training. I fell that most of the negative comments on this site are proberbly from people who know little about the qualification or people who were not offered the training and bare a grudge or prehaps competitors. I work with guys who qualified over 3 years ago and although they are quicker than me on the practicle aspects they seem to have less knollege about the trade than me! what does that tell you???

what is the 6128? i dont understand the comments about NVQ and L3? you can do a tech cert att level 2 or 3 purely in college. to do a 6089 nvq you need to complete all the college work based stuff anyway? there is no cross over in plumbing, unless this is a sepaerate course and qual that you can describe to me

An excellent place to start your training would be with Trade Qualified Ltd they offer the Professional Plumbing Course which comprises of 4 home study modules plus 4 Five day weeks at a training center, on successful completion of the course you gain the following qualifications & extras:
  • City & Guilds 6129-02 - Plumbing Level 2 Technical Certificate
  • City & Guilds 6022 - Domestic Copper Pipework Installation
  • City & Guilds 6032 - Sanitary Accommodation Installation Maintenance and Design
  • Water Supply Regulations 1999
  • Design Installation and Maintenance of Power and Gravity Fed Shower Systems
  • Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems
  • Domestic Electrical Installer Defined Scope Part P Certificate
  • CSCS Site Safety Card
  • Appointed Persons First Aid Certificate

do they double up on the assessments? they seem to train you and apply for more than one certificate??????? tc6129 + 622/6032? the 6129 contains those as modules?

Hi, As a supervisor for a plumbing company I would not employ any plumbers that have been through these types of expensive 'get it quickly' courses. The short cuts that these courses offer will be seen by most quality plumbing company's as a easy path. Pop yourself down to you local college and find out what courses are on offer. They will advise and guide you and won't be to over concerned about how much money they are going to earn out of you. I can understand how tempting these courses sound but they are hardly going to fail you are they after just taking £5000 off you. If you do attend college you will have to sit 13 exams just to get your level 2 certificate (not NVQ2) and you will be required to reach a pass mark of 80% NOT 40%. Qualifications are only a small part of being a good plumber but they prove to a employer that you have been through the mill as it were. One day you will be standing in front of a problem and quietly thinking to yourself I wish I had gone to college and done this properly and learn't my trade from a experienced plumber. Oh and just remember if by some chance you or any plumber were to cause some damage to someones property or God forbid injure someone or make them ill because of your actions due to lack of knowledge. You will be held to account be either their insurance company, riddor or worse still the police and you can't use the excuse that my 10 week course didn't cover that or I thought it would be o.k to do that! Because the law is written in black and white and doesn't have short cuts!
Buster

Agree Buster.

Why do the people who pay the money think all that is required is a qualification, these training places are taking advantage, as plumbing is a physically demanding job with high manual skills , ......it aint a computer course.

Any company worth its salt will go the route you state.

I,m quite academic and have a good memory, but after 32 yrs in the trade I think I have had enough, I fancy earning more than £ 80,000 a year , I think I will 're-train' as a dentist tomorrow, the theory will be a doddle, I havent looked at any teeth yet... never mind, how hard can it be, I'll have some qualifications ...sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enrolled in the train 4 trade course last week i agreed to pay the £3950 over 35 months through barclelys. I recently found a page on money expert saying i would not be able to get a job with the practical experience of only 6 weeks on site. This prompted me to call a few plumbers in my area to ask there views they say the same. I have now cancled the agreement with Barcleys bank and am trying to cancel the course through train 4 trade. It's shocking that they are willing to take that kind of money off people and even with these qualifications that it still going to be so hard to get into the trade. As a 26 year old female a apprentiship is out of the question as im considered too old and going back to college full time is not really what i want to do. If anyone knows how i can get into the trade please let me know. Thanks.

I enrolled in the train 4 trade course last week i agreed to pay the £3950 over 35 months through barclelys. I recently found a page on money expert saying i would not be able to get a job with the practical experience of only 6 weeks on site. This prompted me to call a few plumbers in my area to ask there views they say the same. I have now cancled the agreement with Barcleys bank and am trying to cancel the course through train 4 trade. It's shocking that they are willing to take that kind of money off people and even with these qualifications that it still going to be so hard to get into the trade. As a 26 year old female a apprentiship is out of the question as im considered too old and going back to college full time is not really what i want to do. If anyone knows how i can get into the trade please let me know. Thanks.

heya,

did a fast track into domestic gas and got a job after three weeks but the experience is a must for most companies.i apllied for about 50 positions in a 50 mile radius and i took the first job i got offered as a heating engineer but at the end of the day it was luck and my choice to pay the money to do the course.
i enrolled on an nvq2 plumbing apprenticeship evening class last week and i start this tuesday part time evenings tuesday and thursday for £455 per year for 2 years,so theres an option.
there is a couple of training academys that do weekends for the 6129 but the price is steep.

Im not too fussed about the price of it, its just the fact that from what i have been told its really the nvq level 3 you need before any employer will even think about giving you a chance. I have today looked into a company called BTSC but the prices are £5000 for level 1 and 2 and a extra £4000 for the level 3. The college courses sound good but as i work away from home every week this would mean giving up a job i enjoy to go back to college.

Well the job i do at the moment i have done for 8 years and this year i have had very little work coming in and i have went from around £20,000 per year to around £12,000. Plumbing has always been something i have wanted to do but think now with my work the way it is would be a great time to do it.

The guy who gave me the interview says at the end i would get a NVQ level 1 and 2. Sorry if that information is wrong im just going by what i was told in the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: train 4 trade skillser

Hi Guys

I did a course with train 4 trade skills and am working for myself. its been very good, I went and tried a course at the college but hated it full of bloody kids mucking about couldnt get to use all the stuff and not enuff help from trainers,bloody waste of time would have taken me 2 years and still not much expereince the only way to get expereince is to actually do the job as I am finding out. I do need help sometimes but the trainers at train 4 trade skills still help me on the phone if ring em up and to be honest most of the stuf i do is bog standard. I did the course in a year and found a bloke in my area to help out a bit while I was doing it he paid me a few bob but i recomend it if you can to get a bit more confidense. Ive been working as a plumber now for six months mainly bathroom and kitchin stuff but its great tge moneys good and the mrs is happy lol

Hi all

I've been reading comments about Train 4 Trade Skills. Mixed bag really. Has anyone had any bad experiences with training to become a plumber with Train 4 Trade Skills? I've had a guy come to see me from them and he said it will be between 24 and 36 months to get trained and qualified. Is the course worth the money? I've got my hesistations...but can't afford to give up my current job to go back to college to do the training. Plus I'm 34 I don't many plumbing companies who'd give me a look in...they'd rather consider someone younger.

Yeah mate you are too old to get a job in plumbing now unfortunately at 21 you are probably pushing it . Good luck with whatever you do .

just and update, i found that the course with the stated numbers was enough for me to install bathrooms and some basics on central heating. I only wanted to go self employed doing a few bits. As far as getting employment in concerned then i would need an nvq level 3. The 6128 it a technical certificate that covers all of the theory of an nvq level 2. This still was not enough and with the recent credit crunch my work has dropped. I contacted t4ts and they informed me that they are now doing a nvq level 3 course. The deal is i have to find my own work placement but if i fail and i am sure i will they will give me a work placement to get me through the practicle assesments. The new course is cheeper and better and i was a bit anoyed but there is noting i can do. I intend to get onto the new course because there is plenty of work in heating and ventilation as a subcontractor for the local councils. The new course includes underfloor heating, part p electrical and solar energy and its about a grand cheeper. Im not sure how they have pulled this off but they tell me that the practicle centres are a seperate company that they now own and since they train major contractors, they have an agreement with them and can now offer work placements. More study for me but the old courses have been dropped and they were only a tempory mesure. 9 weeks practicle with on the job assesment is the new deal so i guess you lot have nothing to compalain about anymore!

train4 trade skills new starter

hi all, im enrolling on the advanced course with t4ts this week.. im very excited about this as ive done nothing but check out all the programs on offer from all the different companies and finally chosen this one.. i remember checking out olci and they seemed so expensive for what thy offered plus they seemed so unorganised that i just couldnt trust them.. im not stupid enough to think that im not going to pay over the odds for a plumbing course but tfts seems to offer more than others so i will keep you updated on my progress thru the course.. can anyone whos on this course give me some feedback as to how there doing on it and if they are enjoying it... regards greg

Re: train4 trade skills new starter

hi, i'm in the same boat as you, i looked around & this course seemed the best value for money. i've just started mine & the course work so far is quite easy so i've zoomed through it. You never know, depending on which area you are in we might even meet up on the practical training course!
Good luck on your course anyway!

hi. did u get my other email? have been on the course since last wed am am now on module 2 which is great.. look fward to hearing from you as its great to know others are on the same course. how ya doin?

Alright guys, i just started course a few weeks ago as well, enjoying it so far.
Just finished the first book today, so sent in my TMA, then think i'll get another one sent out, and if i'm not mistaken, need to book myself in for test centre.

hi andy mc how ya enjoyin the course? bin at it since last wednesday and cant put the bloody book down... what do you do at the moment and how do you find it doing the studyin? best regards greg

Has anyone got the address for the website where you can check the progress onsubmitted TMA's etc? I've brought my college number to work to check but forgot to note address!
andymc can you help?

Last edited:

Im a joiner/carpenter, but struggling work wise due to the credit crunch, no one buying houses so limited unsteady work out there for us just now.
Finding the studying ok, enjoying it, and thats the main thing, using my brain again in the mathematics side of it lol.
Not able to do it as much as i'd like due to the kids etc, but still putting in enough hours.
:D

thank alot, hopefully my result will be on there!

Hi Guys,

I have just signed up for the course so looking forward to it will try and keep an update of how its going. is there any one who has done the full course yet it would be great to here from you on how you found the course. On of the big things on this fourm is time served plumber dissing the courses has anyone done this course and gotten a job or work?

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't do a college course because of working a mixed shift pattern on nights. I have spoken with train4trades and the course is costing £5770 spread over 42 months.

I have 3 weeks to decide if the course is worth my time before I have to start paying. I'm not looking to work for a company but start as a sole trader and work for myself.

The course covers the following areas:

C&G 6129 Technical Certificates Level 2
C&G 6084 Energy Efficiency Certificate
C&G 6022-02 Copper Pipework installation
C&G 6032 Sanitary accomodation installation maintenance and design
BPEC water supply (water fiitings) Regulations 1999

As well as Practical traing assessment.

I'm dubious about these courses after reading some posts and would be interested in hearing from anyone that has done the course and got something out of it. Preferably someone who hasn't only posted once to big up the course (undercover employee of train4trades?). I'll also be getting in touch with organisations such as the PHI and IPHE.

Should have done this sooner really.....live and learn!!!

Hi i am newbe.

I did the same thing 2days ago, signed up to do the course with Train 4 Skills 47 month agreement. The Rep made it sound like the best thing since sliced bread!!!

Is Train 4 Trade Skills really what i should be doing or does someone have any suggestions????

I'm going to cancel this course as i feel i'v rushed into things to quickly.

I work fall time and cant afford not to be in work. I have been wanting to do Plumbing for a while but i want to break into the trade the right way.

Can anyone help.

hi guys

I have been on train4tradeskills plumbing course for a few months now and feel it wa the best course out there as i spent months looking into it. All i can say realy is its a stepping stone into the plumbing trade. Take your time at the studies and remember even plumbers who have been in business years are still learning you never stop.

I really want to do it and i know i can but i dont want to be stuck in a £5500 finance agreement if something was to go wrong.

I'v lost a bit of faith in the company as it seems to only have a web site and nothing else.

It's all glossey books and very gimickey.......or am i just being naturally paranoid, about such a commitment.

Its alot of money to pay out if just something as simple as night courses can get me where i need to be just as well.

If this course really is what its cracked up to be can anyone tell me of their expierience with it please?????????

Hi guys

I really want to do "a" course and i dont know weather the train 4 trade skills is going to be the best, i know can do it but i dont want to be stuck in a £5500 finance agreement if something was to go wrong.

I'v lost a bit of faith in the company as it seems to only have a web site and nothing else.

It's all glossey books and very gimickey.......or am i just being naturally paranoid, about such a commitment.

Its alot of money to pay out if just something as simple as night courses can get me where i need to be just as well.

If this course really is what its cracked up to be can anyone tell me of their expierience with it please?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock