Search the forum,

Discuss New part L 55 degrees flow? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Stumbled across this when researching heat pumps surely this can't be true for gas boilers? And un-enforceable..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-05-21-08-49-99_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-05-21-08-49-99_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 15
So we have to oversize rads for this lower flow? The few point of natural gas is 54 degrees I believe. So a flow of 65 would be ok with a delta T of 11c.

A flow of 55 so return 35 ready for heat pumps eg no need to do any internal pipework alterations

Interesting if boiler controls in future simply won't be adjustable over 55degC. If there is no reg to actually fit new larger rads then if it's left set at 55degC at the end of a new boiler job then what's to stop the owner just turning it up a bit in the depths of winter? Oh yes - the gas bill!

So in the long term also fitting those bigger rads may be in the customer's interest? (Apart from many won't have the cash up front)

Hoping for a mild winter.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

No as boiler manufacturer are saying what about older installations they can’t lock 55

Interesting if boiler controls in future simply won't be adjustable over 55degC. If there is no reg to actually fit new larger rads then if it's left set at 55degC at the end of a new boiler job then what's to stop the owner just turning it up a bit in the depths of winter?
You misunderstand Roy, the boiler will only be set to 55 deg C where the system has been designed for this, in which case there would be no advantage to turning the boiler up a bit.
In reality this will be all new builds and most complete system replacements, but it won’t be possible in all cases so there is no way manufacturers will restrict to 55 in the foreseeable future ……

Means doubling the rad size if one runs with a dT of 10C.

What about legionella protection for DHW?, will all new boilers now have to have HW priority and increase the flow temp to 80C?.

You misunderstand Roy, the boiler will only be set to 55 deg C where the system has been designed for this, in which case there would be no advantage to turning the boiler up a bit.
In reality this will be all new builds and most complete system replacements, but it won’t be possible in all cases so there is no way manufacturers will restrict to 55 in the foreseeable future ……
Thanks but why are they stating a 55c flow? I usually set at around 65 if possible so should return at 54c so will condensate? Are they saying they want the full heat exchanger in condensating mode at all times?
Or is it more design your system to run at 55c flow temp. So can be swapped to a heat pump later? Heat pumps run at around 45-50c flow? Thanks

Condensing boiler 55/35 dt is 25
Heat pump 47.5/42.5 dt is 25 that’s why so systems are heat pump ready

What about legionella protection for DHW?, will all new boilers now have to have HW priority and increase the flow temp to 80C?.
That would be good. Had a long discussion with a customer recently about what temperature she should set her boiler flow to and I mentioned that ideally, the boiler would do just that (but hers doesn't).

I've never managed to get a 25c delta T. Have struggled to get 15. We can't adjust the pump in the boiler. So just lockshield? I think Vokera mentioned on one of there boilers they had a pump were you could set the delta T.

I've never managed to get a 25c delta T. Have struggled to get 15. We can't adjust the pump in the boiler. So just lockshield? I think Vokera mentioned on one of there boilers they had a pump were you could set the delta T.
Vokera Unica Max I read somewhere and perhaps some version of Ariston??

Reply to New part L 55 degrees flow? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock