Search the forum,

Discuss Can't get tap head off! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone know the secret to getting these heads off?? Took screw out, tried to pull head off and stuck solid on both hot and cold. Don't know the make of tap although there is a swan logo on the head.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 78
Universal tap head replacement will fit, just yank it or break it. The tap head kits come complete with new covers etc.

Your almost there... They do seize on like that... Remove screw and prize off!!

Maybe some wd40 or apply some heat!

Swirl Modern Reviver Kit Bathroom Basin Contract Tap ½" | Tap Reviver Kits | NoLinkingToThis

Grip tap head with grips. Turn it anti aclockwise with some force and I believe that the guts should unthread with it.

Try boiling water then ice that might release it, other than that hacksaw right through it horizontally ten you can get grips on tap body

Thanks for replies all, tried a towel over head and grips but wouldn't budge at all. Never known them to be this stubborn just thought there might have been secret screw or other method of release somehow before breaking the head or tap replacement.
Will try heat next, tried wd40. I've got head replacements ready to go on.

Ugly old tap that... I would just replace the thing! Prob cost the same as parts + labor of change over !

Had same problem with a similar bath mixer head & I levered it slightly on opposite sides of the head with flat screwdrivers, working all around the head. Patience & it came off after ages, but in your case if that doesn't work, just rip it off by turning the head with grips until if breaks in middle & fit complete new conversion heads.

is it a peglar?

doubt tap reviver will fit so you be buggered.

torch some heat on the brass then leaver it up!

Doea anyone ever use tap reseating tools when changing tap washers that still drip?

By who a tap sales man ? That unscrupulous southerner mr stafford???? When you look at valve seat if it looks like a polo then just new washer but if it looks like It's been round the block and back freshen it up and cut a flat and clean face!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doea anyone ever use tap reseating tools when changing tap washers that still drip?

Yes, - you have to reseat them if there is a line or a piece corroded out of seating. Or it is complete new taps needed!
They work fine, if used properly - just a first turn or two & remove the tool & look at faulty seating with a torch & you can see any bits not clean brass. Just bare minimum filing down until seating is all clean brass & flush tap out of fillings.
Don't use reseating tool unless really needed as a last resort. Modern taps seating seem to last okay, although modern taps no longer last 30 plus years like the old taps did.
I don't seem to need reseater except for really ancient taps nowadays, but water over here is good generally, compared with England I believe.

our old college tutor years ago said not to bother with them and change the taps.
I think i'll be buying one now then to keep in toolbox!

our old college tutor years ago said not to bother with them and change the taps.
I think i'll be buying one now then to keep in toolbox!

Probably only for the odd tap that you don't want to replace, or where a customer is tight with money or skint.
You could always buy a cheap reseater incase you need it. Strange little thing to use & you have to lean on it while turning it & finish it with less pressure to polish the seating. It probably leaves a finish not as smooth as original, but gives a worn tap years of use.

If you dont 're seat' then you just end up putting a fresh rubber washer onto a shredding device.

Sometimes you can't see much wrong with a seating, - even using a torch, but a rub with reseater can show a line cut into seating as if by a junior hacksaw. Often deep & caused by mains water.

I just change them, ÂŁ30 for a mixer tap why struggle then find it may still drip? In my experience youre better to change anything sooner than fixing it. Obviously, unless its a pressure guage on a 3 month old combi lol

I just change them, ÂŁ30 for a mixer tap why struggle then find it may still drip? In my experience youre better to change anything sooner than fixing it. Obviously, unless its a pressure guage on a 3 month old combi lol

Though this is very true... Just cast your memory back to those customers who, regardless of cost, insist on keeping the taps. "They match the house so well, I've grown so attached to them!"...

ive got 2 one normal one, then one I've cut the handle off and put in the drill, saves time and boredom. Use them occasionally, only ever use the hand powered one if there is a cupboard or something above the tap which stops me getting the drill in there.

Nothing wrong with our water matey boy........not like that soft stuff of yours.....so there.....nerrr!

Sorry. Must just have been the poor taste of your English beer, with all your water in it, that made me think that then. :grin:

Don't give me that old carp........most of "your" Guinness was brewed in Park Royal in Laaaarndon..........Propper stout that!

Don't give me that old carp........most of "your" Guinness was brewed in Park Royal in Laaaarndon..........Propper stout that!

Yea, some of it has went downhill must admit! :smile:
Not really my Guinness - as I am from NI, but it is good though!
Seriously, I drink a lot of filtered tap water as it is so good, even unfiltered here.

Yea, some of it has went downhill must admit! :smile:
Not really my Guinness - as I am from NI, but it is good though!
Seriously, I drink a lot of filtered tap water as it is so good, even unfiltered here.

I dive in Scotland quite a lot and always have trouble getting rid of the soap after a shower.......i don't tend to drink our water too often as i think its been recycled too many times for my liking.....

I dive in Scotland quite a lot and always have trouble getting rid of the soap after a shower.......i don't tend to drink our water too often as i think its been recycled too many times for my liking.....

The water we drink, - from whatever source, has likely been recycling through people's bodies for thousands of years - or even part of people's bodies as we are supposed to be mostly water, when you think of it!
Just as long as it doesn't contain anything else!

I do love this forum, its fascinating how help on fixing a tap can turn into one about diving in a lock, the quality of stout and guiness and showering afterwards, and now where the water we drink today was being urinated a 1000 years ago......marvelous im wondering if by page 5 we will be disscussing which comet it came to earth by in the first place lol

Quick question, I've had times where I've used the revived kit on taps, put new body in, everything's fine so I leave. customer rings back 5 mins later and the taps won't open anymore? What's happened?
has this probably 5 times now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't get tap head off! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock