Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please do. He's a lovely fella and will give you an honest and frank opinion of what the problem is, who's to blame and how to get it fixed to your satisfaction.

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread which you started in July last year: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/c...79-hot-water-circulating-ring.html#post791776

It's very disingenuous of you moan about the performance of your hot water system when your plumber advised you to have one AND you asked for our advice on here. We have endeavored to help you on a variety of subjects and you've received a lot of valuable AND FREE advice. I doubt very much that you'll see much more of that on here; well not from me anyway!

I feel dirty, abused & used.

Post 2 in the July thread gave you all the info required, you choose to ignore this (free) advice.

Go live with the consequences I say.

The cheek of some people to come back & ask what they can do about it now.
And then to try to blame it on the Plumber / Builder to boot.

Better give your mate the heads up Howsie they will probably try to knock him.

Last edited:
Okay, before you all get cross my posting in July doesn't tell you the complete story but I can understand why you would feel angry.

Back in July I received an e-mail from the builder which asked if I wanted a hot water circulating ring. He said in the e-mail "this is not necessary required as is only for comfort". If I chose not to have the ring then "hot water will start running in about 20-40 seconds" but if I chose to have the ring then "hot water would appear in a few seconds". This was in relation to the shower in the loft en-suite and the time it would take to get hot water. There was no discussion that the rest of taps in my house would be affected.

The price quoted was quite expensive to us which is why I posted on the forum in July to find out whether to do it or not.
Unfortunately, there were a number of unforeseen events that occurred which caused us to go over budget, for example my husband smashed the bedroom window by accident so we had to replace them. We discovered there was no insulation between the floor boards so had to add the cost of that in. When we took up the carpet in the bedroom we found that an old leak we had in the toilet had spread into the bedroom so had to replace the floor boards and so on.

As such we had to seriously look at areas where we could makes cuts and one of them was the circulating ring. We just thought, okay we will just wait 20-40seconds for the hot water it is not that long.

I hope that you and your builder come to a mutually satisfactory conclusion.

We based this decision on the information that he presented to us. Obviously if he said that I would have to wait 3+ minutes in the kitchen and all my taps would be affected I would consider this an necessity rather than a luxury item for comfort.

I spoke with Mak, really nice guy so thank Howsie for his details, he said that if it had been him he would have put it a secondary return into the design for a 3+storey house automatically and not even asked the client if they wanted it.

When I texted Mak I actually asked if he thought I was to blame as this is something that has been on my mind a lot. He replied back and said it was their fault because of the information that was presented to me.

I am very grateful for all your help and advice that has been given here. Of course I really, really regret not going ahead with the ring. My house is just finished, I have a baby and a young child, so the idea of the house been smashed up again makes me feel completely ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock