Search the forum,

Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a balanced cold then yes I can understand the 4th floor being very slow
But not the kitchen on ground floor as this should in principle be the quickest

What is your definition of very slow in terms of time?

Even if the boiler and cylinder is at the back of the house and the kitchen and toilet is at the front of the house?

As I mentioned before, when I had the boiler in the kitchen I waited about 40seconds to get hot water in the Utility room so I did expect when I moved the boiler into the Utility room the time would be the same or better because I thought my combi boiler wasn't very good.

See post #95

What is your definition of very slow in terms of time?

Can't say as lot of factors we can't see pipe sizing route/ length of pipework ect

But to be honest if it's a 2000square foot house over 4 floors cylinder on ground floor
Average ceiling height 2.4m then that's really only a rise of 8m then whatever runs across floors ect
I can't see how it be that long to get to tap on 4th floor never mind longer for ground floor where cylinder is

That sounds like the size of my house and my ceilings are 2.4metres high. What sort of time range would you expect to get hot water to the loft based on 15mm pipes without a ring, ballpark as you don't all the factors?

I'd not be expecting any more than 1min 30 to be honest
Do all the pipes run up a wall from bottom to top floor can you see all the pipes rising

I'd not be expecting any more than 1min 30 to be honest
Do all the pipes run up a wall from bottom to top floor can you see all the pipes rising

Hmm, that is a another sign that something is not right.
Sorry I don't know what you mean by can I see all the pipes rising, can you explain a bit more?

I wonder if the Sprinkler pipework gets warm when the kitchen tap is used??

The sprinkler system is connected directly to the mains. I know this because the sprinkler company showed me the lever I need to turn in case of false alarms to cut off the water. But I will check to see if this happens - but you do mean the pipework under the sink as I obviously can't check pipes in the ceiling.

Hmm, that is a another sign that something is not right.
Sorry I don't know what you mean by can I see all the pipes rising, can you explain a bit more?

You will have a hot and cold pipes and heating pipes going from the utility room up to the next floors above can you see them

Pay a professional to have a look at it! You'll be glad you did before the builder/plumber has disappeared.

A long long shot but anywhere round the cylinder area do you have something that looks something like this ?

image.jpg

Even if the boiler and cylinder is at the back of the house and the kitchen and toilet is at the front of the house?

As I mentioned before, when I had the boiler in the kitchen I waited about 40seconds to get hot water in the Utility room so I did expect when I moved the boiler into the Utility room the time would be the same or better because I thought my combi boiler wasn't very good.

As I explained before it has no bearing how far the mains is from the cylinder but rather on the hot pipework coming out of the cylinder. Your water is not instantaneously heated as with a combi you now have a hot water store

Pay a professional to have a look at it! You'll be glad you did before the builder/plumber has disappeared.

I was going to get a second opinion after I have met with the builder and plumber and hear what they have to say about it. Is it naĂŻve but I am hoping the plumber after investigating will find what is wrong and fix it. From people's postings, I know something is wrong and even without the ring it shouldn't take this long to get hot water.

Are you suggesting I should get someone in first before seeing them?

Would you not feel better informed talking with your plumber and builder if you have somebody in to investigate beforehand ? You've already admitted that you know next to nothing about plumbing so what is to stop you being fobbed off by the builder/plumber if you are no more knowledgeable than when they did the work. It's up to you of course but at the moment you just seem to be going in circles and the money spent on an independent investigation might save you a headache in the long run

You will have a hot and cold pipes and heating pipes going from the utility room up to the next floors above can you see them

I think so. inside the cylinder cupboard above the cylinder there is boxing which must be hiding the piping.

Hot water 1.jpgHot water 2.jpgHot water 3.jpgHot water 4.jpg

Would you not feel better informed talking with your plumber and builder if you have somebody in to investigate beforehand ? You've already admitted that you know next to nothing about plumbing so what is to stop you being fobbed off by the builder/plumber if you are no more knowledgeable than when they did the work. It's up to you of course but at the moment you just seem to be going in circles and the money spent on an independent investigation might save you a headache in the long run

You're right. I will give Mak a call back and ask him to come round. I know he was recommended by Howsie but should I still ask to see his card to make sure he is G3 level?

You're right. I will give Mak a call back and ask him to come round. I know he was recommended by Howsie but should I still ask to see his card to make sure he is G3 level?

It won't harm prob have it on the back of his gas safe card

How the hell did he expect to get at them zone valves if and when need. Changing muppet

He was planning on never coming back. That's why.

We've all done things like that...and also been on the receiving end.

Gee, have I cursed some Plumbers Souls.

No doubt, mine will be cursed someday also.

Last edited:

And so you should. Mak was trying to help you out over the phone without incurring expense. If he's willing and able to come then you'll be in a much better position to have an informed discussion with your builder/plumber.

It's been such a painful event, I'm in half a mind to come over myself!

I was thinking the same Howsie bit of a day trip.
This thread is a spitting image of a ongoing job that i am trying to put right.

This one is rolling on. The OP now knows its the little things in life that means the most.
Maybe shoulda lived with a sheet of osb over that broken window for a few weeks :)

Hang on a second. Despite not having a ring, you must think that 3+minutes to get hot water in the kitchen is not right when the boiler and cylinder are located on the same floor.

With all due respect, the builder's plumber came round and did a survey on the house before they quoted for the job and our requirements were discussed with them. I never said "at the moment it takes around 20seconds to get hot water in the kitchen and rest of the house but please take thousands of pounds of my money and extend that time to 3+minutes".

As for the ring, the builder said to me "...As I said it's not really required." I have this on e-mail and will use it in court if it comes to that but I am hopeful this matter can be resolved without having to go down that road.

Have you managed to talk / get the plumbers gas safe and G3 no

I have not heard back from them unfortunately. I didn't heard back from Mak either (Howsie's contact) but another plumber on this forum has kindly PMed me another plumber I could reach out to so just waiting to hear from him.

Hang on a second. Despite not having a ring, you must think that 3+minutes to get hot water in the kitchen is not right when the boiler and cylinder are located on the same floor.

With all due respect, the builder's plumber came round and did a survey on the house before they quoted for the job and our requirements were discussed with them. I never said "at the moment it takes around 20seconds to get hot water in the kitchen and rest of the house but please take thousands of pounds of my money and extend that time to 3+minutes".

As for the ring, the builder said to me "...As I said it's not really required." I have this on e-mail and will use it in court if it comes to that but I am hopeful this matter can be resolved without having to go down that road.
and I think you've hit the nail on the head. Due to the plumbers poor English I suspect that the builder has been answering a lot of these questions when he's not qualified or knowledgable enough to do so. Some builders are ace and know a lot but many know building and no other trade and will talk the talk in order to win work and will worry about the consequences afterwards. I think you already said earlier that the plumber did recommended a secondary circuit and obviously I realise that due to cost you didn't go for it. Makes me question why the builder is undermining his plumbers advice. Could be a costly mistakes. I would still be pushing to see your plumbers qualifications as it does set alarm bells ringing that none of the benchmark paperwork is filled out. If he's not qualified then it does add additional weight to your argument which could be useful. I'm not really backing either side here but it sounds to me like a right communication cock up

I'm still very confused by your ridiculously poor flow rate at the kitchen tap

and I think you've hit the nail on the head. Due to the plumbers poor English I suspect that the builder has been answering a lot of these questions when he's not qualified or knowledgable enough to do so. Some builders are ace and know a lot but many know building and no other trade and will talk the talk in order to win work and will worry about the consequences afterwards. I think you already said earlier that the plumber did recommended a secondary circuit and obviously I realise that due to cost you didn't go for it. Makes me question why the builder is undermining his plumbers advice. Could be a costly mistakes. I would still be pushing to see your plumbers qualifications as it does set alarm bells ringing that none of the benchmark paperwork is filled out. If he's not qualified then it does add additional weight to your argument which could be useful. I'm not really backing either side here but it sounds to me like a right communication cock up

Just for the record, the plumber never recommended a secondary circuit. This is the e-mail that the builder sent to me in July 2015.

"..speaking to plumber today I should ask wether you required hot water circulating ring. This is not necessary required as is only for comfort. I have not quoted for it and should you require would be ÂŁ1150 extra. Circulating ring sometimes useful if some clients wants instant hot water. It can be switched off or it also can be put on timer. To explain in short, when you open hot water tap in shower, hot water will start running in about 20-40 seconds depending on how far are they from the cylinder and how long time ago it was used. With circulating ring on hot water would appear in few seconds."

The shower he is referring to relates to the shower in the loft en-suite. There was no indication that the taps for the rest of my house would be affected.

From his e-mail, especially as he then later wrote that "it is not really required" made it feel there was a choice and it was not a necessity.

Just seems odd that they'd even suggest it if it wasn't suitable. I still think part of your problem is flow related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock