Search the forum,

Discuss Water leaked from tank in the attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yeneh

I've had a job done in 2009 I knew the plumber well as he was a customer in my London print business, we had several conversations and we had great exchanges over 8 years. When our old boiler needed replacing I asked him to do the work. When he finished, I had to call him back because of pipe rattle and he stuck in a valve which stopped the noise. We always go to the Epsom Races and when we got back the whole house was flooded and a complete mess. What happened was, the ball on the stopcock in the attic storage tank had vibrated off its connection and the water flooded through the house. The plumber apologised but that was all he offered. The question I have is how common is an incident like this and does anyone in the plumbing community know of a similar event like this happening. Thanks for reading my story. Brian

What did he apologise for? He fitted the boiler, not the cold water storage cistern. Did it not have an overflow pipe fitted?

What did he apologise for? He fitted the boiler, not the cold water storage cistern. Did it not have an overflow pipe fitted?

+1

or did the mains blow off the inlet to the ball valve?

He did replace the stopcock in the storage cistern and yes the overflow should have worked but it didn't. The house was completely flooded. So its not common for this to happen as the overflow would kick in!

Was all this back in 2009 or are you linking a pipe rattle to the ball valve vibrating loose 6yrs later?
You will find it best to register as a member to continue this thread.

This sounds like the float has come off , I think .
.Either way as the lads have said, thats nothing to do with the boiler.

I'm still struggling to understand how it's his fault? Unless the pipe blew from his new stopcock in the loft but you said the float valve rattled off. I think your barking up the wrong tree tbh

The ball that floats when the tank is full came off the arm that stops the tank from filling up. As a consequence the water flowed down through the house. The safety of the system is the over flow pipe that failed to work. The insurance paid for the repairs. My question to the plumbing community is how ofter does an event like this happen. I am telling it as it happened. Absolute promise here this is what happened.

No it all happened the weekend after the boiler was installed.

The ball that floats when the tank is full came off the arm that stops the tank from filling up. As a consequence the water flowed down through the house. The safety of the system is the over flow pipe that failed to work. The insurance paid for the repairs. My question to the plumbing community is how ofter does an event like this happen. I am telling it as it happened. Absolute promise here this is what happened.

not very often the ball comes of but normally the balls split and water gets in, which in turn keeps the ball down and the tank is overfilled and excess water out the overflow

No it all happened the weekend after the boiler was installed.

unless it was the f and e tank or he changed the ball valve in the cwsc tank not his fault

It's not his fault your cold water storage cistern had a dodgy overflow pipe. How on earth would he know that? It's like having a wheel bearing done then blaming the garage you got a puncture. It's not related

Post 9 Shaun?

so its only just leaked now ?????? i thought he was just asking now and it leaked back then , lol its getting complicated now :D

# 5 No the job was completed end of May 2009 and the leak happened first Saturday June 2009. The pipe rattle was so loud it must have had an effect on the vibration throughout the whole network of pipes. Without this I can't see how the ball would have come off. The nut was not tightened against the ball is the only way this can come undone.

# 11 unless it was the f and e tank or he changed the ball valve in the cwsc tank not his fault I don't understand the f and the e tank?

# 5 No the job was completed end of May 2009 and the leak happened first Saturday June 2009. The pipe rattle was so loud it must have had an effect on the vibration throughout the whole network of pipes. Without this I can't see how the ball would have come off. The nut was not tightened against the ball is the only way this can come undone.

# 11 unless it was the f and e tank or he changed the ball valve in the cwsc tank not his fault I don't understand the f and the e tank?

put it this way its not his fault

got there in the end :D

Last edited:
# 5 Was all this back in 2009 or are you linking a pipe rattle to the ball valve vibrating loose 6yrs later?

The boiler was fitted in 2009 May and the leak happened on 5th June 2009. I'm just asking how common is this to happen. Should he not have checked that the overflow was sufficient to handle the amount of water going into the tank? And should he not have checked that the ball was properly secured in the tank?

# 5 Was all this back in 2009 or are you linking a pipe rattle to the ball valve vibrating loose 6yrs later?

The boiler was fitted in 2009 May and the leak happened on 5th June 2009. I'm just asking how common is this to happen. Should he not have checked that the overflow was sufficient to handle the amount of water going into the tank? And should he not have checked that the ball was properly secured in the tank?

no all you asked him to do is change the boiler he wouldnt need to touch the cwsc at all

PLEASE somebody 38.11 this to clear space for Mr Stafford`s next installment of tease.

he did replace the stopcock in the cold water storage container. My question was how frequent does something like this happen? I am telling the complete truth as it happened.

PLEASE somebody 38.11 this to clear space for Mr Stafford`s next installment of tease.

:D that was a good read last night and 38.11 is for gas :D

Last edited:
he did replace the stopcock in the cold water storage container. My question was how frequent does something like this happen? I am telling the complete truth as it happened.

Why are you asking 6yrs later and as said before it is not his fault that your overflow pipe didn`t do it`s job.

The top and bottom of it is that sometimes excrement happens.

Im on with a bathroom. Took the rad off. Cust phoned at 7 last night to say water coming through living room ceiling. The 10mm pipe had pulled out of the manifold under the bedroom floor. Bearing in mind it was soldered and I hadnt been under the bathroom floor to touch anything. Turns out it was poorly done 21 years ago. Excrement happens :)

The top and bottom of it is that sometimes excrement happens.

Im on with a bathroom. Took the rad off. Cust phoned at 7 last night to say water coming through living room ceiling. The 10mm pipe had pulled out of the manifold under the bedroom floor. Bearing in mind it was soldered and I hadnt been under the bathroom floor to touch anything. Turns out it was poorly done 21 years ago. Excrement happens :)

same old same old you were here last must be your fault

I find the plumbing community online huddling together and saying it wasn't his fault. The reason I am asking is for my knowledge of the event maybe I was badly treated and should I have done something differently. It was a Victorian house in London three floors were damaged and the stress on the family was very difficult to handle afterwards for 4 months until the repairs were completed.

same old same old you were here last must be your fault

Thats why I have the 'no guarantee of existing pipework' on my estimates.

But aye, love the, well it was working before you touched it. First rule of servicing, turn it on.

I find the plumbing community online huddling together and saying it wasn't his fault. The reason I am asking is for my knowledge of the event maybe I was badly treated and should I have done something differently. It was a Victorian house in London three floors were damaged and the stress on the family was very difficult to handle afterwards for 4 months until the repairs were completed.

not huddling together if he didnt fit or fix it or touch it (the ball valve that is , its not his fault

Yeneh, yes this can happen and no thankfully not all the time but it's all been repaired and the leak fixed so my question if you please is why bring it up now?

The plumbing community doesn't huddle together.

We tell it as it is. WERE it the boys fault we'd let you know.

In this case it's not. We could be here all night and this will still be the only opinion you'll get, no matter ho many different ways you ask.

Let it go old son. Merde occurs I'm afraid.

This happened 6 years ago? Been away somewhere?

Just to summarise.

2009 you had a new boiler fitted and the bloke changed the float valve. Or did he just change the washer.

A month later, the ball valve failed, but the overflow didnt work.

Your insurance coughed up, and you had major remedial works to the house, that took 4 months and probably included new carpets and decoration.

6 years later your now having a whinge that you were hard done by, by the plumber.

If I have summarised correctly, then the phrase you are looking for is jog on, thats putting it politely.

You can't check all of other people's work all the time. If I had replaced the entire ball valve, then I can guarantee I would tighten the nut against the float, but as to the overflow - I would take a look at it if it was handy to get or looked dodgy while I was there & I would check it was tight fitted onto the cold water tank. But I wouldn't always water test the overflow.
Maybe your plumber was careless, but I don't think you can be sure by your wording tbh.

I understand where you are all coming from, something happens and who ever was at it last must be to blame. So I just have to accept I was unlucky that is all it was. ok but something in me can't accept the way the work was done and the final outcome. It is my belief that the ball was replaced with incompetence. My definition of incompetence is that you can do 100 things in a day and double check 99 of them but the one you didn't check is the one you are judged on. I will accept all of what has been said here on the forum and thanks very much for giving your time to me. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water leaked from tank in the attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock