Discuss Water leaked from tank in the attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yeneh

I've had a job done in 2009 I knew the plumber well as he was a customer in my London print business, we had several conversations and we had great exchanges over 8 years. When our old boiler needed replacing I asked him to do the work. When he finished, I had to call him back because of pipe rattle and he stuck in a valve which stopped the noise. We always go to the Epsom Races and when we got back the whole house was flooded and a complete mess. What happened was, the ball on the stopcock in the attic storage tank had vibrated off its connection and the water flooded through the house. The plumber apologised but that was all he offered. The question I have is how common is an incident like this and does anyone in the plumbing community know of a similar event like this happening. Thanks for reading my story. Brian

What did he apologise for? He fitted the boiler, not the cold water storage cistern. Did it not have an overflow pipe fitted?

What did he apologise for? He fitted the boiler, not the cold water storage cistern. Did it not have an overflow pipe fitted?

+1

or did the mains blow off the inlet to the ball valve?

He did replace the stopcock in the storage cistern and yes the overflow should have worked but it didn't. The house was completely flooded. So its not common for this to happen as the overflow would kick in!

Was all this back in 2009 or are you linking a pipe rattle to the ball valve vibrating loose 6yrs later?
You will find it best to register as a member to continue this thread.

This sounds like the float has come off , I think .
.Either way as the lads have said, thats nothing to do with the boiler.

I'm still struggling to understand how it's his fault? Unless the pipe blew from his new stopcock in the loft but you said the float valve rattled off. I think your barking up the wrong tree tbh

The ball that floats when the tank is full came off the arm that stops the tank from filling up. As a consequence the water flowed down through the house. The safety of the system is the over flow pipe that failed to work. The insurance paid for the repairs. My question to the plumbing community is how ofter does an event like this happen. I am telling it as it happened. Absolute promise here this is what happened.

No it all happened the weekend after the boiler was installed.

The ball that floats when the tank is full came off the arm that stops the tank from filling up. As a consequence the water flowed down through the house. The safety of the system is the over flow pipe that failed to work. The insurance paid for the repairs. My question to the plumbing community is how ofter does an event like this happen. I am telling it as it happened. Absolute promise here this is what happened.

not very often the ball comes of but normally the balls split and water gets in, which in turn keeps the ball down and the tank is overfilled and excess water out the overflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water leaked from tank in the attic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water, so we have the main water tank in the airing cupboard, plus a small pressurised (I think) tank. The...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock