Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler pressure is rising? Did indirect hot water tank coil fail? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water.

Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped and the pressure on the boiler was at 30 vs the usual 20. I drained down the boiler pressure from the spigot on the boiler and it held steady at 20. 4-5 hours later, it's back to 30 and relieving pressure through the valve.

I suspect that the element in the SuperStor has failed and pressured water from the tank is flowing back into the element and thus back into the home heating system. I had this exact problem only 4 years ago. I know because I cut the tank open and could see the corrosion and break in the element. The SuperStor was replaced 4 years before that so these tanks/elements are failing on me every four years. That seems nuts.

The tank is guaranteed for life, but the plumber fee is not so it's still costing me.

I read about electrolysis and the house electrical is grounded separate from the water/plumbing system and the water quality report done 9 years ago doesn't show any extreme mineral levels.

How do I go about troubleshooting this and ruling out other causes of overpressurization. Thanks all!

When you tested the boiler pressure, was that with it running or standing cold?

Has the well water been tested in more recentl years?

HTP warranty is void if the water pH is out of the below limits.

23. Any damage or failure resulting from improper water chemistry.
WATER CHEMISTRY REQUIREMENTS (RESIDENTIAL USE) – Water pH
between 6.5 and 8.5.

PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water report is 8 years old. The boiler is hot, ie between 150 and 190 depending on whether it's firing or not.

I also am constantly battling to try to get air out of two long runs which I have several (6 zones total including indirect tank). Just another data point but I don't suspect is relevant.

Last edited:

Reply to Boiler pressure is rising? Did indirect hot water tank coil fail? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock