Search the forum,

Discuss Was He Right To Disconnect Our Cooker?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becky4

Okay so we had a guy out too fit our new boiler last week end he found an internal leak in our cooker and disconected it straight away.
now i have been on to the manafacturer of the cooker they sent out there own engineer to test the cooker he has been unable to do so because the cooker isnt connected up was he right to disconnect it would you of if your a gas engineer?thanks becky.

yes if there was a gas leak ,he,s had to (with your permission),we have a legal obligation,
google gas explosion irlam

yeah if gas leak. I.D applance, capped off gas supply to cooker. label and warning notice but only with customer approval

No it's okay as the manafacturer doesnt seem to understand why it had disconnected it..(capped it off )
and can't replace it for this reason.
so it looks like we'll be having christmas dinner out of a slow cooker.
i didn't give my approval but given the chance i would of as ive got kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes if there was a gas leak on the cooker, it's not safe!
More is the issue .
The manufactures engineer should be qualified & able to reconnect it to test it. Or he shouldn't be touching it, or maybe can't be bothered!

Thats very true do there engineer's have to be gas safe?
i am completely p'd off

How much is standard for a cooker to be fitted?

If you hadn't given your approval the engineer would have been legally obliged to call Transco who would switch your gas supply off completely (so no heating).
The engineer did the right thing. How old is the cooker?

the manufacturers engineer could of just put a gauge on the gas connection on the back of the cooker and tested it using the air from his lungs to confirm a leak! Sounds like he couldn't be bothered to me.

I was just seeing who's in the right as i ent gota clue,its only 4-5months old thts was done my head in.

the manufacturers engineer could of just put a gauge on the gas connection on the back of the cooker and tested it using the air from his lungs to confirm a leak! Sounds like he couldn't be bothered to me.
ha what a div wit till i phone swan tommorrow there gunna get a right ear full thanks.

Get back on to the cooker supplier - be certain of your rights and that the supplier might divert you to the manufacturer - but to get things moving the real legal responsibilty lies with who supplied it to you. 4 month old cooker leaking and no proper help.

centralheatking

Yes - only 4-5 months old, it's not fit for purpose (Gas engineer has confirmed this), demand a replacement - even the manufacturer is unable to fix it.

so what could the engineer from swan done if the cooker wasnt connected up?
he told me that i should get on to the company i got it from and ask for a replcement but he put somethink diffrent in his report.

Make that call to the supplier and do not be fobbed off.

centralheatking

could be a bad install,i would have checked hose connections first,but thats just me,you could get a gsr engineer out to reconnect and check area of leak,may be quicker than waiting for supplier.

becky4 you are not having much luck at the minute, ask the engineer who disconnected the cooker where he found the leak on the cooker ,regarding the cooker engineer he doesnt sound to eager, you have done the correct thing safety wise , they should send an engineer out agin to fix the problem or deliver you a new cooker asap and bill them for the disconnection and reconnection plus the agg, I had this on a new hob a few weeks back and the engineer came out and insisted there was no leak on the hob which was rubbish the guy did not even have a gas sniffer,he eventually found the leak and the landlord got a replacement hob

I never do have much look to be honest with you i am not a big beliver of karma,ive got a lot of stuff happening at the moment, i need a new house to rent the tenancys up start of jan, i can't find anywhere that will take us because we havent got a deposit and there no chance of us saving for one in short time specially with christmas an not having a cooker my babys due in april and we really need some where. so im havin abit of a poo time of it.

anyway my life story...(WARDS) i don't want to have to pay to have this one reinstalled and the for the new one if we get a new one an ive just about got the money for the one installation, so its just me on the phone nagging them all day tommorrow aswell.

Does the engineer fromswan have to be a gas safe guy i am guessing he should of showed me his card.

just because your tenants agreement is up does not mean you have to move out. legally there is sod all your landlord can do especially if you are still paying the rent, yes the swan engineer has to be gas safe registered and he has to be qualified to connect and reconnect cookers

What was this guy thinking of. The first engineer did the correct thing in making safe the situation by disconnection. The manufacturers representive turns up and says he can't do nothing, because its disconnected. What an absolute waste of space. Report this to trading standards and read the riot act to the manufacturer. They have a legal obligation to you under ther consumer protection act. Also go back to the retailer and give them the story. Your contract is with the retailer, although the manufacturer gives the gaurantee.

Reg Man is correct ,ask to speak to the manager he should sort it out and get the ball rolling double quick

I know yeah im just sick of my dick of a landlord but i am stuborn as hell and i will hold on as long as i can....thats a very good idea i will defo ring them up and demand to speak to the manager and threten to ring trading standards. **** it ill demand a free cooker while im there lol

thanks guys

I was just thinking if this landlord is a prat maybe he asked the engineer to disconnect your cooker in the hope you will be going anyway ? its not out of the question , why not get him back to show you the leak on the meter and ask him how big a leak there is ? ,as the cooker firm are going to charge you ÂŁ100 to look at it and if there is not a leak the engineer will have to pay the bill as it was his mistake, I dont think that is being unreasonable

the was he put the sniffer on the side of the cooker and it was sky hight bleepin and everythink,trust me if there wernt a leak ild have him stright back out and tell him to reconnect him and he wouldnt get anythink from me.

i dont see why the company can't use one of the gauge thingys or just take it away and test it theres gotta be a way around it ent there?

depending on what type of sniffer he had there is a wheel on the side and you can make it make that noise,Yes there is a way around it call the manager and tell him what has happened ,why didnt the engineer who installed it find the leak when it was installed i wonder ?. Ask to speak to the manager and dont be fobbed off The shop have to organize getting this firm back and sort it end of story ,its their problem to sort out not yours as a last resort tell them a friend of a friend works for watchdog ,good luck

haha that might work..well there has been a couple of reviews on the cooker mentioning leaks inside the cooker so im not doubting that there isnt, i am defo on them today thankz

Okay so nothink yet i have emailed trading standards they are goint to get back to me i am on hold again, with the company.
(you may laugh but i am being deadly serious) i'm looking on free cycle and bargain pages trying to get a cooker for the mean time(doesnt mean i will give up on nagging these...soo who's got a bit of festive spirt and would fit it for cheap or free if i find one? :D(BIG smile) at least then we can stilll have christmas dinner.

or even come and fitt the one thats sitting in my kitchen as im gettin no where with any one.

Okay so nothink yet i have emailed trading standards they are goint to get back to me i am on hold again, with the company.
(you may laugh but i am being deadly serious) i'm looking on free cycle and bargain pages trying to get a cooker for the mean time(doesnt mean i will give up on nagging these...soo who's got a bit of festive spirt and would fit it for cheap or free if i find one? :D(BIG smile) at least then we can stilll have christmas dinner.

or even come and fitt the one thats sitting in my kitchen as im gettin no where with any one.

where do you live?

Birmingham?
im waiting them to ring me back first apparently there ment to be picking it up but this is the first i've heard of it so im baffled.

those of you that wanted an update,i was told the company i had it from couldnt do anythink so ive phoned swan and had then send out another engineer to look at it or i could of payed for one myself to get a report and proof of the leak being inside the cooker to he's coming out on tuesday fingers crossed!! thanks again people :)

Birmingham?
im waiting them to ring me back first apparently there ment to be picking it up but this is the first i've heard of it so im baffled.

are you not sure? haha, i asked where you were cause you were hoping to get a freebie fit, but im just outside Glasgow so its a wee bit far for me, hope you get it sorted

those of you that wanted an update,i was told the company i had it from couldnt do anythink so ive phoned swan and had then send out another engineer to look at it or i could of payed for one myself to get a report and proof of the leak being inside the cooker to he's coming out on tuesday fingers crossed!! thanks again people :)

This is absolute bull*** - ther company who provided the product to you is legally reposinible for it. Thet are just trying to fob you off. You should get the mananger of this company, and demand he supply and fit a new replacement, as the cooker they sold you isn't ' fit for purpose' and as such not do so violates you consumer rights.

I would instruct the manager that unless either does this, or gives you a full refund you will be sending them a small claims summons for the price of the cooker, plus the summons, plus the gas engineers costs plus compensation! Jump up and down and don't let them off the hook here.

If you really want to stick it to them, go into the store directly tommorrow on the busiest day, call the manager out and make a real fuss about it so all their customers can see. Refuse to leave the store unless they sort you out!

Firstly this has to be less stress than trying to sort it yourself, and secondly it will be really satisfying. Take someone with you, if you are pregnant they womnt be able to ignore your plight!!

Good luck!

think i would be on to them straight away as when tues comes and he deosnt do owt then its nearly xmas and you might no have a cooker id be on to them everyday carnt believe a company would be so complasent with gas and a normal everyday customer who doesnt no about gas not an engineer

okay so i have been on to the company and re explained everythink to then ild told them it's been capped off and that, they said okay well send some one out to you they even phoned me back and re checked all the info was correct and the guy got here and said he couldnt do anythink because there isnt a pipe connected to the wall to go in to the cooker called a safety valve or somethink GRRrr!! how much will it cost to get one of these fitted? please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Was He Right To Disconnect Our Cooker?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable to find the manual for an Ideal Exclusive. I thought I had found it but it turns out the GC number was different. Given the law says "refer to MI"...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My boiler was kind of new & installed last year July, I know there's build-in frost protection. Also, there's an old external frost protection (attached photo) that the engineer did not disconnect it when installed the new boiler. I wonder if I need to disconnect/get rid of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a Kinetico 2020c HE Water Softener, fitted in 2008 in our loft to the cold water tank in a vented system with a conventional boiler. All good, was working fine. Recently our old Potterton Suprima conventional boiler packed up and we decided to change to a Vaillant EcoTec COMBI...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock