Search the forum,

Discuss Can I remove a disconnected gas fire,leaving the back boiler in place? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

J

Jcuk691

Hi all,

I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe.

I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back boiler.

The fire was disconnected and not been in use for over 15 years. Heating is still on unvented gravity system. The metal shrouds on the fireplace are loose and connecting brackets are missing, screw holes are cross threaded etc. She has a tendency to bump things with her walking frame and keeps knocking the bottom front plate of the fire off and is concerned that she is going to cause herself an injury if it falls off her foot etc.

He has asked me if it would be possible to remove the gas fire, (already disconnected) leaving the back boiler in place as to avoid messy removal, and then to fashion up some sort of cover for the void, something along the lines of a mirror/picture frame. Basically to remove any danger of injury with minumum disruption and cost.

Is there any reason why the back boiler cannot remain in place not to be used if the gas fire is removed? Is there anything regulations wise stopping me doing this work as the gas supply is already disconnected? Or should I advise them to consult a gas safe engineer for this one.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Gas engy I’m afraid

Reply to Can I remove a disconnected gas fire,leaving the back boiler in place? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last year . Do I recover the metal back boiler in fire cement or is their something better. The fire cement at the bottom of the photo is where I block...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all, I am looking some advice regarding our renovations. We have just bought an old house circa late 1930's. We are looking to switch from oil to gas for various reasons one being the showers are electric. My question specifically regards a back boiler in one of the fireplaces. We have had...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock