Search the forum,

Discuss Reviving a Tap: Stubborn Tap Head in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rayleigh

Hi

I have trouble with reviving a leaky tap. the tap head just wouldn't come off with an adjustable wrench. (It slips off the wrench.) Would a Ring Spanner be of more help?? What are the other things I can try?
P1010120.jpg
P1010118.jpg

Cheers
Ray

a deep socket set might do it
do you have a set of grips or stillsons?

Get your self a good set of pipe/water pump pliers/grips will do the job

I have just got a standard pliers which hasn't got much grip at all. What kind of grips should i be getting? water pump pliers or mole grips?

Deck mixers like this are the easiest! Just get some pump pliers on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Knipex are very good

Any difference between the alligator version and the cobra version in terms of function?? They are both quite pricey for a tool that is only going to be used once in a while..i will pop into the local hardware shop to see what they have..

They can be a bit stubborn due to limescale build-up etc. Try tightening slightly before loosening. You shouldn't have too much difficulty as it's a vertical tap. Just apply some force slowly when trying to remove the valve - using a cloth around the jaws of the wrench may stop it from slipping. Make sure the wrench is adjusted tight.

Alternatively, you could try a deep socket say from an automotive tool kit or a normal spanner.

Otherwise, just purchase some inexpensive pump pliers if you are only going to use it a couple of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat with gas gun,and use grips to remove old tap revivor

I would use this as a second option as it has always worked for me on paticularly stubborn ones! My first port of call would always be the pair of water pump pliers your using it should come quite easily.

Otherwise, just purchase some inexpensive pump pliers if you are only going to use it a couple of times.

This is very poor advice. Cheap pump pliers won't have a very good locking action and are likely to slip and damage the tap.

The best way to get good tools at a reasonable price is to have a look round boot fairs. You'll often find some very good tools where people have cleared garages and aren't aware of the value. Some years back my wife was looking round a farm sale when she came across a monument stand pipe bender with formers for 15, 22, 28, and 35 but missing the 15 and 22 guides for a fiver. It had barely been used and had a slight coating of rust. After she bought it someone offered her twenty quid for it but she fortunately refused.

I know it might be a silly question, but are you turning it the right way?

Tried both ways. If I am not wrong, it should loosen along an anticlockwise direction. I ordered a pair of knipex water pump pliers. Will have another go when it arrives.

Many things you can use that you may have stillsons, footprint, box spanner,ring spanner,long socket

It would be cheaper and take less time to replace the tap, these are not expensive. I used to spend hours trying to repair taps, showers etc and find it difficult to justify the amount of time spent on labour compared to just fitting a new unit.

It would be cheaper and take less time to replace the tap, these are not expensive. I used to spend hours trying to repair taps, showers etc and find it difficult to justify the amount of time spent on labour compared to just fitting a new unit.

Agreed. And buying a pair of pump pliers instead of just getting a professional with the right tools is also nonsensical IMO.

you should be able to get a new set of taps for about ÂŁ40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reviving a Tap: Stubborn Tap Head in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock