Discuss Reviving a Tap: Stubborn Tap Head in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deck mixers like this are the easiest! Just get some pump pliers on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Knipex are very good

Any difference between the alligator version and the cobra version in terms of function?? They are both quite pricey for a tool that is only going to be used once in a while..i will pop into the local hardware shop to see what they have..

They can be a bit stubborn due to limescale build-up etc. Try tightening slightly before loosening. You shouldn't have too much difficulty as it's a vertical tap. Just apply some force slowly when trying to remove the valve - using a cloth around the jaws of the wrench may stop it from slipping. Make sure the wrench is adjusted tight.

Alternatively, you could try a deep socket say from an automotive tool kit or a normal spanner.

Otherwise, just purchase some inexpensive pump pliers if you are only going to use it a couple of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat with gas gun,and use grips to remove old tap revivor

I would use this as a second option as it has always worked for me on paticularly stubborn ones! My first port of call would always be the pair of water pump pliers your using it should come quite easily.

Otherwise, just purchase some inexpensive pump pliers if you are only going to use it a couple of times.

This is very poor advice. Cheap pump pliers won't have a very good locking action and are likely to slip and damage the tap.

The best way to get good tools at a reasonable price is to have a look round boot fairs. You'll often find some very good tools where people have cleared garages and aren't aware of the value. Some years back my wife was looking round a farm sale when she came across a monument stand pipe bender with formers for 15, 22, 28, and 35 but missing the 15 and 22 guides for a fiver. It had barely been used and had a slight coating of rust. After she bought it someone offered her twenty quid for it but she fortunately refused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know it might be a silly question, but are you turning it the right way?

Tried both ways. If I am not wrong, it should loosen along an anticlockwise direction. I ordered a pair of knipex water pump pliers. Will have another go when it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reviving a Tap: Stubborn Tap Head in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am trying to replace my bathroom tap with a new one, I am trying to remove the existing rusty flexible tap connectors from this bit of 22mm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, I have an issue with our shower's hot water. The shower is operated using two separate taps for cold and hot water. When the hot water tap...
Replies
Views
Please can you help. I’m trying to replace the cartridge on our monobloc kitchen mixer tap. I’ve found the secret hexnut and removed the handle...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock