Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator return valve shutoff issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in the other bedrooms and noticed most of them have a peg sticking up on the return valve that allows you to turn with an adjustable wrench.
The problems rads (two of them) don't seem to have an option to shut them off? I tried a flat head screw driver in the top but they would not turn, even with WD40 and some brute strength.
I have not seen these valve types before so hoping someone can help me out here.
Thanks in advance!
Valve Issue 1.jpg

Valve Issue 2.jpg

It sounds like you've encountered lockshield valves, which are common on radiators but often don't have those more visible handles found on TRVs. These valves are designed for a specific setting and not regular adjustment, which is why they seem less accessible. To turn these off, you typically need a radiator key or an adjustable spanner. The flat head slot you found should be the right one to adjust it, but these valves can be really stiff if not turned for a while. Apply WD40 as you've done, then gently tap the wrench with a hammer to help loosen it without applying too much force, to avoid damage. Once closed, remember their original positions (count the turns) to ensure they're reset accurately after redecorating. If they remain totally unmovable, perhaps contact a plumber and see if they can assist with the proper tools and technique.

I wouldn’t even entertain turning them off best to replace them with standard spindle and gland type ones eg

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-white-angled-manual-radiator-valve-10mm-x-21mm/123fw

And downstairs

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floma...diator-valve-with-drain-off-10mm-x-21mm/539fw

Reply to Radiator return valve shutoff issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock