Search the forum,

Discuss Trade prices and co-op for better discounts etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plouasne

Just a question do any of the local trades persons get together, and arrange a bulk buy discount with the merchants, my son is with a co-op in France, I do not know all the ins and outs, but for a small yearly fee, he and the plumbers get a larger discount because its all bulked together with the other plumbers, he reckons that it pays handsomely, with another on average 15% off the price, all though he get his materials when he wants them,from the merchants and is invoiced separately
Best way I can describe it, is that 20 or so plumbers get together and say to the merchants we will by from you what is the best discount, or we will go elsewhere, mind you the merchants look after the trades people in France

[that bathroom suite ?? are you a professional? Oh your not, that will cost you 1500€, but why do you only charge the plumber who is installing it 800€?, its like this, he comes in every week and buys goods, you will only buy once or twice from us, and it covers him when he charges you the full price the odds and ends which he cannot price, like the three hours he spent with you giving you advice and a free estimate, now do you want the bath or not, if not I have other clients to see to]

About 4 times a year the merchants will hold maybe a full day trade show, it could be just the mid day, normally shut, or an evening do, a light meal (meats and bread and butter, plus wines and spirits), I have seen wine bottles opened with a pipe clip before now (screw the threaded end of the pipe clip into the cork and pull)

The very first oil fired condensing boiler sold by the merchant, which my son installed, second day on site the rep turned up with two bottles of wine, for the fitters and the client, then he treated us to a mid day meal

Last June my son and his wife were taken along with 400 others to just outside Dakar, for a weeks holiday, in holiday chalets, didn't cost him a penny, it was laid on by the merchants and manufacturers, for being good customers

This smells like a scam.

Not a scam, the first part was a question, the rest is what it is like in France, I live there and my eldest son is an artisan electrician / plumber in France, if you had read the posting correctly I asked if this is what happens in the UK and compared it with what I know happens in France

The reason I posted this how it was, is I was wondering if the same thing could be worked out by some of you lads to get you better discount etc, I have no connections with the UK, apart from speaking English has my native language, have no desire or wish to go back there at all

Nationalité Française, is my next goal, after all the French state is paying my pension, and its better than one I would have got from the UK

I live in the village of my forum name, google will show you where it is

looks very nice,see thats its cloudy and rainy tomorrow though,rap up well :D

Tried forming a trade group years ago with members of the local plumbing institute members, nobody wanted too know, frightened others would know their business and what they were up to, or as said, someone was trying to scam them, good old British nature
To many tradesmen think about profit from labour, getting a extra hour here and there, they tend to neglect the potential profit to be made from getting the material at the right prices, the amount of builders or plumbers I have heard say after a big job is finished, god look a what I have spent on materials, did’nt think it would be that much,not made as much as I thought ect.They should know the figures before hand or as spent
They winge all morning about ½ hrs wasted somewere,which is right but then will just pick up the phone order a couple of grands worth of stuff and not ask price or shop around, if they did,apart from making a lot more profit, dare say a lot of the big rip off merchants would be no longer

Last edited by a moderator:
It a 1500 population in the commune, but that includes the outlying areas, 1 post office/postal bank, 2 bakers, 1 minimarket, 1 pharmacy, 2 sets of doctors, 1 dentist, 1 garage, but best of all 6 bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trade prices and co-op for better discounts etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

W
Hi, I don't know if you could advise me best in regards to the following situation. I had leak on the boiler but could not see where this was coming from. Eventually I got a plumber in to have a look. They diagnosed that the condensate pipe has become blocked between the boiler on the landing...
Replies
Views
windoz
W
Hi all, I've just received a quote for the supply of a fitted bathroom today from my supplier and decided to do a bit of shopping around to see how competitive the prices really are. I've just discovered that they are (in theory) offering me generous discounts of 20-40% however all they are...
Replies
Views
Obviously sometimes you need to go to a merchant but for general re-stocking I think you'd be mad not to use online companies like bes.co.uk. Even in the most decent trade merchants the price is double or triple what it is online. Whenever i buy something in a merchant I end up checking to see...
Replies
Views
ncowburn
N
L
Fellow people, I urge you, please don't ever call Plumb Force Direct as they are cowboys! The company is advertised as a sponsored link on Google. I called them as I need minor work on my toilet (syplon needs changing) as when flushed it doesn't always take down the toilet paper in one...
Replies
Views
Plum Bob 66
P
S
Got your attention, good. Its a while since I started a thread and this is possibly a bit controversial and I'm hoping for some lively debate (possibly). I've followed a few threads about pricing, work, customers, being undercut etc. So, what's my point, bear with it. We, you any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock