Search the forum,

Discuss ARCHIVED - Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE DIRECT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Londoner

Fellow people,

I urge you, please don't ever call Plumb Force Direct as they are cowboys!

The company is advertised as a sponsored link on Google. I called them as I need minor work on my toilet (syplon needs changing) as when flushed it doesn't always take down the toilet paper in one flush. I called last Friday and explained this on the phone. I was told that if a plumber came out over the weekend I'd be charged £75 as the plumbers work for 1 hour minimum. I explained that the problem was minor and wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to sort out. I was advised to book an appointment for Monday and so I did. I was told the plumber would come between 7 - 9pm and that it would be £37.50 for every 30 minutes.

The plumber arrived this evening, he concluded that he couln't fix the problem as he didn't have the right part. Instead he adjusted the water flow in the toilet which helped control the problem but it's still 50/50 as to whether it flushes correctly the first time round. This was all done in 15 mins. So when it came to paying I was shocked to see a bill of £75 plus VAT. When I asked the plumber he said they charge an hourly rate on weekday evenings regardless of the length of time taken to do a job! I was shocked and explained this wasn't what I was told when I called up and if that were the case I wouldn't have waited TWO days to pay the same price (I would have just had them come on Saturday - which would have been more conveniant instead of me rushing home from work).

I wasn't happy and called the manager back at the office. He was VERY rude and said he didn't 'have time' to deal with my complaint and that if I didn't pay the whole bill then he'd send my details to a debt collector. He explained that other companies usually charge more than £100 and that I got a good deal! It's the principle of the matter - I was mis-sold a service and he didn't seem to care that I was mislead on the phone. Not a good customer service experience in my book! I'm not a cheap person and will pay good money in order for peice of mind. But I do not feel I have been treated fairly - they absolutely mis-sold the service and I waited TWO days to pay the same price, and not even have the problem resolved!!!!

I intend to take this complaint to trading standards and I will complain on every plumbing forum/ website going until I am refunded £37.50. I'm happy to pay for 30 minutes as that's what I agreeed to, even though the plumber didn't even have the right parts (even though I did explain the problem on the phone when booking!) but I'll be damned if I have to foot the bill for another 30 minutes of work that didn't even take place!

These cowboys can't get away with it! It's not fair. How do they sleep at night?? This is the worst service I've ever had and gives the plumbing industry such a bad name. It makes me feel sad that incompetent and unlawful companies like this can advertised on Google, be on top of the search results and therefore get lots of business and rip customers off. I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about this type of treatment!

I urge you - please do not use PLUMB FORCE DIRECT (0800 879 9041). You will be ripped off and left unhappy.

Plumber London | Plumbforce Direct

They are complete crooks. It's the worst customer service I've had in a long, long time!!

Please do not use them. Companies this should not be allowed to operate.

Re: Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE DIRECT

If I came out at 6pm to do this job it would have cost you £60 ex Vat but it would have been fixed for that and I would have told you the price in advance. If I couldn't fix it generally I'd get the part return & fix same price. As you may have guessed I carry sufficient spares for this type of thing but do get caught out occasionally.

I do think you should be carefull and tone down your opinions of this firm on a public forum, although I sympathise with your plight. Post up your area and perhaps one of the guys on here will help you out or check the find a plumber section in the sticky threads.

moral of this story is the more exspensive the ad the more youll pay all ways go for local paper first then if using directories always miss out the top ads as they only get to be top of the list because theyve paid the most
majority of big ads are agencies who take half or more of what the plumber charges you

Hi Tackleburger,

Thanks for your response.

I think the sheer fact that I've found the energy to post on a plumbing forum must speak levels about how strongly I feel about the level of mis-selling from Plumb Force Direct. I would really hate for another person to fall prey to their mis-quoting. I'm sure I'm not the first but I do hope I'm the last.

It's such a bad experience. I still have a faulty toilet and don't know who to call. Good reputable customers are losing business because of people like Plumb Force Direct!

Their website says: London's astute choice for plumbing, gas and boiler repairs - Plumbforce Direct sets the standard for reliability, quality workmanship, and punctuality.

Are they having a laugh??

I'm afraid you will probably have to put this down to experience (learned the hard way) as i doubt if trading standards will help as their price was verbal and will probably be seen as reasonable.

Any out of hours call (weekends and evenings) will always be at a premium rate. Usually 1st hour at £x then half hour increments. Even if the job only took 5 minutes you pay for the hour (he has to travel to you).

You have been unfairly treated and i do sympathize.

It might be worth mentioning that a syphon change (unless type with detatchable body or perhaps inside a low-level cistern) is quite likely to take longer than half an hour. It can take much more than 3 times that if things go badly. And there are loads of different types, shapes and sizes so carrying every possible type is not likely. Also, if your syphon flushes fine but not all the paper flushes away it might not be the syphon. Especially if it always worked before. It might be a blockage. £75 for a weekend or evening call to a syphon change in London actually sounds reasonable to me.

hes hardley a cowbow for charging you that for a call out in london on a night time. that is a bargain it should of been 100 at least

how does he sleep at night?? haha calm down

First I don't think you should be naming a company on this website and the thread should be deleted or at least edited. Second there is no point you urging us not to use the company as we are unlikely to as we are mostly all plumbers. Thirdly the company in question is not here to defend themselves to hear their side of the story. I had a job to attend the other day. The custard was not onsite on my arrival and a phone call later revealed that they thought I had stated a different time several hours later in the day,my diary says different. It is my opinion that custards on rare occassions like to bend the truth just as there are naughty plumbers. Large comapnies often record their calls and if this company does so you can usually request a copy of the conversation which may clarify the arrangement made. Also although I carry several syphons & drop valves on my van at all times it would not surprise me to turn up at a job & find none of mine fitted and I needed one of a odd shape only available at the merchants. Having said that I could have probaly cut you a new diaphram from a sheet of poly. If a syphon install/repair goes well 20 mins but as stated before it could take well over an hour if some plonker has plastered silicone everywhere or wingnuts are rusted to hell.

I agree although 70 giblets is a reasonable price especially at an out of hours price, i recently did a job in Buckingham where i had to change the siphon and i had to drain down the cistern , sponge out the rest of the water then remove the cistern from the wall and pan , remove old siphon, put in new siphon, screw back on to wall and reconnect to pan fill up to test and check for leaks and that all is correct and working and this took me just under an hour to do and my price was £65 inc parts and like the rest on here i do sympathise but you cannot call them cowboys when there is only one side to the story.

sponge out the rest of the water

You don't have to get all the water out. You can just lift if off the pan and tip it in the bath. If it won't flush at all I usually syphon out some with hose into bath and then lift it off and tip rest out.

i know i could have done that but it was a downstairs cloak room with no bath and a very tiny pointless corner sink ;)

I use a wet vacuum - emptied in less than a minute.

i am toying with the idea of purchasing one of these as everybody on here raves about them but are they really that good?

You don't have to get all the water out. You can just lift if off the pan and tip it in the bath. If it won't flush at all I usually syphon out some with hose into bath and then lift it off and tip rest out.

So why not pour it down the pan?

Unless the threads are rusted on a CC WC or some clown has boxed it in it is generally a 15 minute job. I always repair them can't remember the last time I swapped a syphon hence why i am surprised that this mob couldn't fix it. It could be a flush valve of course but any self respecting plumber will carry syphon, flush valve doughnuts all in 2" & 11/2. I think they have mis-led this chap and have a cheek chargfing if they didn't fix it.

My opinion.

did they offer to come back the following day and fit the syphon that was required ?

and if they charge 75 for a hour on a saturday then out of hours on a monday would be the same - well it would for me anyway - anything that is out of 9-5 mon to fri is premium rate.

they have mis sold info if they've let you book it monday saying they charge less and then chargin the higher amount - but not having the part on the van is not a sign of a cowboy - shoddy working standards is.

i would be very careful doing all this over the internet - as someone else said we would not use them as we are all plumbers so your post has probably not had the effect that you may wish it to have - but i certainly would take legal action if a non paying customer posted libelous comments about my business all over the internet and i would have plenty of proof also.

good luck with it all - but please be careful as it could end up costing more than the 75 pound call out charge your fretting over.

Only tried repairing one once. Spent ages cutting an exact replacement out of thick plastic bag. Fitted it, rebuilt. Didn't work. Since then I carry various different diaphragms. But if I haven't got the one, it's a new syphon. Maybe I should have another go at cutting a new diaphragm, 'cos it would make things easier.

I've made and replaced about half of the diaphrams I've come across. If the syphon is the wrong size I then repair. Never yet been called back. Trick is to find some reasonably thick plastic - luckily my merchants use thick bags for shopping bits.

On Boxing Day I didn't have any suitable plastic so a supermarket bag had to suffice (and is still working to the best of my knowledge).

I don't drive around with a van overloaded with stock. It's up to you if you want to, but it doesn't make anyone a cowboy by not having half the plumbers merchants in his truck.

I carry a plethora of copper fittings, but only in 15mm & 22mm, I also carry a large selection of waste fittings in inch and quarter/half. I also have a large selection of washers, and some simple valves, ballafix,drain off,WM.

I also carry one donut, and of course various pipe, oh and flexi hoses, and a few gas parts, plus some immersion heaters/stats, earth straps, fuses blah blah blah.

Long story short, I will come out, look at what I need and go buy it...in the clients time, not mine. I dont take the pee I just go there, buy what i need and return.

You can't expect people to carry more than I do (though I know some do)

A dodgy WC syphon, it's hardly high drama....and these guys haven't exactly charged you an astronomical amount of money. Fair enough you're annoyed but is it worth all this drama? I'm sure trading standards have better things to do.

There was a locksmith on rogue traders last week. He charged an old boy in his 70's a thousand pounds for an hours work. That's worth talking about.

i watched that one to Danny the guy had a ferrari and top of the range land rover no wonder the bugger could afford them!

i think the truth here is you really didnt want to pay alot because in your "professional" opinion the job would take 30 mins?

theres the problem!
bob

i know plumbers who charge a lot more(not me)and people are more than happy to pay their fees,you cannot please all of the people all of the time,if people do not like my quote i do not do the job simples,all too often nowadays people want all for nothing,it costs a lot of money to just be in the plumbing/heating trade before you even start to make a crust,people think every plumber/heating engineer is a cowboy waiting to rip them off,gets me irrate sometimes when i read posts like this,ah well whinge over.

Buff and Wards summed it up. You want a guy to drive across London and fix your bog for under £40.00, I mean really who's going to do that? I wouldn't. As these guys have pointed out, just being a plumber is a huge expense. Just covering our overheads every year costs us a fortune. Cheapskates like this get my goat, and then they come on a plumbers forum and bad mouth a plumbing firm...do we really care?

Buff and Wards summed it up. You want a guy to drive across London and fix your bog for under £40.00, I mean really who's going to do that? I wouldn't. As these guys have pointed out, just being a plumber is a huge expense. Just covering our overheads every year costs us a fortune. Cheapskates like this get my goat, and then they come on a plumbers forum and bad mouth a plumbing firm...do we really care?
Don't expect a guy to travel across London and fix a bog for £37.50. But if, as the OP stated, I was told the rate was £37.50 for half an hour and the guy was there for 15mins I would have paid £37.50. If I was told the minimum charge was anhour then fair enough, £75.

We all charge minimum of an hour. That's standard. Either you charge a call out fee, or you charge for the first hour, whether you're there an hour or ten minutes. It takes you time to drive there and back, so it's only fair to do so.

Fair enough they should have been warned of this, I make it clear or people. However it was a little naive to expect any tradesman to turn up and work for half hour for £37. (In London) Obviously this doesn't apply in other areas. I charge £45 for the first hour, however I'm a sole trader so i discuss prices before I turn up.

Last edited:

Just tone down your poo's aswell as your attitude and then you should be fine ;)

i am toying with the idea of purchasing one of these as everybody on here raves about them but are they really that good?

yes they're well worth the money,really useful, you'll probably wonder how you ever did without it!!.I got mine from wickes and I also bought a combined wet/dry filter for about £11 if I remember, saves you having to change filters for different tasks. I think I paid about £45 if I remember. Best £45 I've spent. No need to spend £200 on one.

You only tip them into the bath until you drop one !

The customer dropped one the other day-whilst I had the cistern in my hands......what a stink!!!!!!LOL

I've made and replaced about half of the diaphrams I've come across. If the syphon is the wrong size I then repair. Never yet been called back. Trick is to find some reasonably thick plastic - luckily my merchants use thick bags for shopping bits.

On Boxing Day I didn't have any suitable plastic so a supermarket bag had to suffice (and is still working to the best of my knowledge).

If you don't have a decent piece of polythene use a rubber glove works a treat most housholders will give you one but don't charge for the part. Did it in my mum's house on Christamas Day 5 years ago still going strong.

I see the point in that if you were told on the phone it would be £37.50 per half hour or the like, then they would have to stick to that. I would have refused to pay until i could speak to the office and sort it out, as this might just be a simple miscommunication.

As you can see we all feel quite strongly that you you should not be too quick to shout 'cowboy' as it can be quite unfair. I can think of hundreds of companies which could mis-sell you like this, so it does not make this company a bunch of cowboys.

Stilll you have got guts to that here - a bit like going into the black estates in america, to make racist remarks! See what a nice response you get though!

Everybody is too quick to shout cowboy these days, these day are a bodge job culture. The real guilty party in my mind are tight english people (who I am one of too!) who apparently want a good job, but dont really want to pay for it:

Hence the arrival of 'Bodge the Builder' who does not really know any trade skill, but will do a cheap job . . . .

These guys have a sponsored google link, a respectable website, even nice phone attendants, but be warned they are complete RIP-OFF merchants. I wanted a boiler service and two radiators repaired. I was told it would be £89+VAT for the service and £75 + VAT for the radiators. As this amount is nearly the same as an annual home care plan I said I'd go elsewhere. However, after speaking to the MD, the (then very nice) phone consultant agreed to the engineer would repair both the radiators and the boiler for the same price in order to get my business. What happens? The repair guy turns up, does the boiler service, says he won't repair the radiators and charges me the full £89+VAT. I agreed to pay (naively as it turns out) because I thought the phone consultant I spoke to had been so kind in getting me the discount that he'd sort out the misunderstanding and they would come back and honour the contract we agreed. Originally the phone consultant even told me not to go with the other company I mentioned as they said that company won't do what they say they'll do. The irony is hard to take. They have completely reneged on their contract and then denied they had said more than that the'd look at the radiators. When I asked them to provide me with a copy of our phone conversation/transcript of the call they refused. All they offered to do was to come back and fix the radiators for £89+ VAT per hour for 2-3 hours + £75 +vat for 2 radiator valves - a complete rip-off. The whole thing would have cost me £408 (including the initial £89+VAT) in total if they took just 2 hrs - £514 if they took 3 hours. It is outrageous that people behave like this (so nice an courteous before they take you for a ride) and I urge you in the strongest possible terms not to use their services as they will just rip you off. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJP - like we all here say

1-ask friends and family for a good local plumber/heating engineer
2- make a call to that person
3-be home on time for visit
4-pay as when job complete
5 - I can assure you next time you need him he will be there to help you out

This is simple method to keep you out of big company's hands who are after your £ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ARCHIVED - Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE DIRECT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock