Discuss ARCHIVED - Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE DIRECT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE DIRECT

I don't drive around with a van overloaded with stock. It's up to you if you want to, but it doesn't make anyone a cowboy by not having half the plumbers merchants in his truck.

I carry a plethora of copper fittings, but only in 15mm & 22mm, I also carry a large selection of waste fittings in inch and quarter/half. I also have a large selection of washers, and some simple valves, ballafix,drain off,WM.

I also carry one donut, and of course various pipe, oh and flexi hoses, and a few gas parts, plus some immersion heaters/stats, earth straps, fuses blah blah blah.

Long story short, I will come out, look at what I need and go buy it...in the clients time, not mine. I dont take the pee I just go there, buy what i need and return.

You can't expect people to carry more than I do (though I know some do)

A dodgy WC syphon, it's hardly high drama....and these guys haven't exactly charged you an astronomical amount of money. Fair enough you're annoyed but is it worth all this drama? I'm sure trading standards have better things to do.

There was a locksmith on rogue traders last week. He charged an old boy in his 70's a thousand pounds for an hours work. That's worth talking about.

i watched that one to Danny the guy had a ferrari and top of the range land rover no wonder the bugger could afford them!

i think the truth here is you really didnt want to pay alot because in your "professional" opinion the job would take 30 mins?

theres the problem!
bob

i know plumbers who charge a lot more(not me)and people are more than happy to pay their fees,you cannot please all of the people all of the time,if people do not like my quote i do not do the job simples,all too often nowadays people want all for nothing,it costs a lot of money to just be in the plumbing/heating trade before you even start to make a crust,people think every plumber/heating engineer is a cowboy waiting to rip them off,gets me irrate sometimes when i read posts like this,ah well whinge over.

Buff and Wards summed it up. You want a guy to drive across London and fix your bog for under ÂŁ40.00, I mean really who's going to do that? I wouldn't. As these guys have pointed out, just being a plumber is a huge expense. Just covering our overheads every year costs us a fortune. Cheapskates like this get my goat, and then they come on a plumbers forum and bad mouth a plumbing firm...do we really care?

Buff and Wards summed it up. You want a guy to drive across London and fix your bog for under ÂŁ40.00, I mean really who's going to do that? I wouldn't. As these guys have pointed out, just being a plumber is a huge expense. Just covering our overheads every year costs us a fortune. Cheapskates like this get my goat, and then they come on a plumbers forum and bad mouth a plumbing firm...do we really care?
Don't expect a guy to travel across London and fix a bog for ÂŁ37.50. But if, as the OP stated, I was told the rate was ÂŁ37.50 for half an hour and the guy was there for 15mins I would have paid ÂŁ37.50. If I was told the minimum charge was anhour then fair enough, ÂŁ75.

We all charge minimum of an hour. That's standard. Either you charge a call out fee, or you charge for the first hour, whether you're there an hour or ten minutes. It takes you time to drive there and back, so it's only fair to do so.

Fair enough they should have been warned of this, I make it clear or people. However it was a little naive to expect any tradesman to turn up and work for half hour for ÂŁ37. (In London) Obviously this doesn't apply in other areas. I charge ÂŁ45 for the first hour, however I'm a sole trader so i discuss prices before I turn up.

Last edited:

Just tone down your poo's aswell as your attitude and then you should be fine ;)

i am toying with the idea of purchasing one of these as everybody on here raves about them but are they really that good?

yes they're well worth the money,really useful, you'll probably wonder how you ever did without it!!.I got mine from wickes and I also bought a combined wet/dry filter for about ÂŁ11 if I remember, saves you having to change filters for different tasks. I think I paid about ÂŁ45 if I remember. Best ÂŁ45 I've spent. No need to spend ÂŁ200 on one.

You only tip them into the bath until you drop one !

The customer dropped one the other day-whilst I had the cistern in my hands......what a stink!!!!!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ARCHIVED - Cowboy plumbers in London: PLUMB FORCE DIRECT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I hope you can help..I'm a total dunce when it comes to all things plumbing, apologies if posted in the incorrect forum too...
Replies
Views
H
Hi im just after some advice please. I recently contacted some plumbers for quotes for a second opinion following the problems we have been...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
A
Has anyone ever worked for these? They have sent me an application pack to join but I have a little alarm bell ringing in my head and i can't put...
Replies
Views
Winston
W
G
Just been doing a bit of marketing via some flier drops. I approached an old guy and was very polite, explained we're a new local business so...
Replies
Views
oldplumber
O
Had a woman call our company on Monday morning in some distress. She asked if we (*********) could come out to site and help her (We charge...
Replies
Views
365drills

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock