Search the forum,

Discuss Should a PLUMBER ever have to get involved in drilling holes in TILES or is that a no in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

365drills

Had a woman call our company on Monday morning in some distress. She asked if we (*********) could come out to site and help her (We charge £200+ a day) because nobody on the project wanted to drill holes in her tiles.

She said

The shop where she bought the tiles said it was not their problem.

The tiler said it was not his job to drill holes in tiles.

The plumber said it was not his job to drill holes eithe
r.

So she had to resort to trawling the net until she found our website where we offer a tile drilling service. But I agreed to save her a lot of hassle and send a £49.99 kit of drills out tonight to her BOYFRIEND and he is going to drill the tiles tomorrow...

I mean is this crazy or what? I have actually taken the time to write to the tile company to explain that we do exist out here - and have the solution!

I wont say their name (they are not any of the sponsors on here) but if you can get it cryptically then they are called something to do with the End Of The World and a huge place in London.

In my opinion all three were negligent in helping a client. A lot of finger pointing and yet the solution is so so simple.

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/kit2.jpg

On an £8000 bathroom project using top end tiles a fifty quid kit is just a simple solution and so her boyfriend now has to take over the drilling of tiles !!

We are in a crazy world folks !!

Upshot of this is that I have WRITTEN to the sales team at "that" company and clipped a copy of the invoice to the letter to show them that their customers are in distress over a simple problem which they should have the knowledge to provide a solution too.

She gave me the contact details of what she called a "very helpful lady" who can match tiles to trims and has a complete and deep knowledge of style and bathroom layout plus design and a good employee.

And I am hoping my letter will stir some action for future customer care.

And yes I may have done myself out of an easy £200 drilling job but its not about the money its about getting the right results.

Anyway.. Back to my corner !!!
lol.gif

(PS: Having just gone back and re-read this post I realise that she was also let down by a fourth person refusing to drill holes - us !!)

Haha - She rings up "the company that drills tiles" and we say to her "No No" and so her boyfriend ends up with this job. She must think we are all mad (Please note we WOULD have done it but the task is so easy its criminal to take £200 for such easy work)

thats_not_my_job-p148625291198305783qz14_400.jpg

Suitable protective wear at that job site !

Should a plumber ever have to get involved in drilling holes into tiles ?

Re: Should a PLUMBER ever have to get involved in drilling holes in TILES or is that

I drilled a tile once.

Re: Should a PLUMBER ever have to get involved in drilling holes in TILES or is that

Hahaha , I think I can recall a time too, though I was in a very good mood that particular day .

use a masonary bit once, managed to drill 3 of the 25 holes without breaking the tile, thought that was a decent return

usually just use them pointy 8mm 's just for leccy showers.

And I drilled 3 holes in tiles to fit a shower today, what was I thinking.

we always drill the tiles it is a plumbers job after all we put the pipes there and we fix the fixtures have never heard of this before

Got to be the plumbers job to drill holes in tiles in relation to pipework for showers, WC's, etc. same as boxing in pipes, concealed cisterns and all those other non plumbing tasks that are required when fitting bathrooms/shower rooms.
I keep a full set of tile drills of various types in the van and offer a complete install service.
As a self employed I'd be massively embarrassed if I got the job and then said I couldn't complete it 'cos I wouldn't drill holes in tiles. I even fit toilet roll holders & towel rails if the customer wants it done as part of the job. How could you seriously expect to get the job otherwise.

Got to be the plumbers job to drill holes in tiles in relation to pipework for showers, WC's, etc. same as boxing in pipes, concealed cisterns and all those other non plumbing tasks that are required when fitting bathrooms/shower rooms.
I keep a full set of tile drills of various types in the van and offer a complete install service.
As a self employed I'd be massively embarrassed if I got the job and then said I couldn't complete it 'cos I wouldn't drill holes in tiles. I even fit toilet roll holders & towel rails if the customer wants it done as part of the job. How could you seriously expect to get the job otherwise.

totally agree

I think we were being sarcastic. of course its our job, along with the toilet roll holder, the tower hook, the mirror.

if i 1st fix 2 pipes for a shower, or a 15mm stub for a wc feed, Then pay my tiler to tile the wall/floor then i would expect my tiler to drill the holes so that he can slip his tile over my pipes. I dont like drilling tiles.

if i 1st fix 2 pipes for a shower, or a 15mm stub for a wc feed, Then pay my tiler to tile the wall/floor then i would expect my tiler to drill the holes so that he can slip his tile over my pipes. I dont like drilling tiles.

Drilling for pipes is a little different to drilling for the purpose of making fixings. It's the tiler's job to cut holes to negotiate first-fix pipework, it's very definitely our job to drill for pan fixings/basin fixings/pipe clip fixings/any other 6-10mm hole

lol this is as mad as charging £150 quid for a bath suite install, plumbers drill tiles you can buy mega cheap tile drill bits just dip it in water every 30 seconds or so to cool it down. failing that marcrist do a kit with sprayer bottle and diamond bit set. easy peasy

Lol, Im sure ********* would have something to say to that Shaun!

I think we were being sarcastic. of course its our job, along with the toilet roll holder, the tower hook, the mirror.

.............the row of ducks.

don't forget the mirrored cabinet for all the pills and potions.

Lol, Im sure ********* would have something to say to that Shaun!

Well the point of our company is to offer a middle ground product. Its not a cheap "use it once throw it away" solution. Its not a Mactrist, Rubi, Armeg "£300 investment" We have the middle ground covered with the £49.99 solution that cuts the holes for the service pipes as well as the fixtures and fittings.

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/bfk4.jpg

Above will cut the 6mm rawl plugs out - http://www.*********.com/jpgs/redplug.jpg And the 8mm rawl plugs http://www.*********.com/jpgs/redplug2.jpg plus the service pipes like radiators, shower heads, waste pipes, bath pipes.

http://www.*********.com/other/2.jpg

All the above holes are 16mm 30mm and 40mm for radiator pipes (15mm) and then bath pipes (22mm) plus you can slip a tile over a Fischer fixing kit for a basin by using the 30mm in the kit or the 16mm.

Works out at http://www.*********.com/jpgs/valueformoney2.gif for the kit which is good value for money.

Its the middle ground.

But I agree if the plumber puts in first fix and then a tiler comes along to tile then it should be the tiler who handles cutting holes in the tiles. If the plumber is doing most of the job then it shouldn't be too difficult to put the standard set of holes into a tile for a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should a PLUMBER ever have to get involved in drilling holes in TILES or is that a no in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock