Discuss 'Trade' Pricing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an idea I'm playing with at the moment, but it would be good to know what others think of it. As I said, I'm particularly interested to hear from other plumbers in Hampshire, perhaps one in each town, so that it can be looked into in more detail.

I tried this idea years ago when I used to go to plumbing federation meetings, then there was not so much competition between merchants, and we could have got some good terms but could not get everyone together, though,thought,form a little co-operative, but each thought they could do better, none wanted to invest in stock items, that they had to buy anyway, many thought othesr would know their business and find out what jobs they were doing and who for, thought we would all dive in there and pinch each others work, that was then
Now we have more completion and with the internet, think not really viable,still say the best way to save ,is to plan ahead
Also when I first started out, one of the most credit worthy people in the community were plumbers, anyone would except a cheque or give credit to one, over any other trade and on power with solicitors or accountants or bankers, sounds strange now but it meant you would not have had to worry about payments ect, when goods arrived, now ,think that could become a big issue :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my merchant has been telling me that there biggest problem is getting plumbers to pay their accounts on time each month. They've seen a marked increase in firms not paying over the last year or so. All of this is happening in Hampshire which is scary as it's supposedly quite a well off county.

I agree with you re the internet. You can get some cracking prices on their to be honest - found this site last night at Bathroom Suites Shop. Bathroom Furniture, Vanity and Shower Enclosure UK . They seem to be very cheap on a lot of items, has anyone used them at all?

Why should there be any difference in the prices?

It seems there are simply far to many people trying to get a slice of everything these days for doing nothing much. Its not added value its just mark up for nothing.

Why do contractors want things cheaper than their customers can buy them?

Surely if your being fair, you should never be afraid to let people know how much your making on materials.

The thing is if your not open about prices you may just get called a "rip off merchant" and loose work.

i expect lower prices than the public as i buy a lot of that certain product... i also have to organise my accounts, pick materials up, chase up different materials for jobs - i dont agree with making a killing on materials but i expect 20 -30 percent.

dont think its not being fair - its being shrewd in business.

Yes, my merchant has been telling me that there biggest problem is getting plumbers to pay their accounts on time each month. They've seen a marked increase in firms not paying over the last year or so. All of this is happening in Hampshire which is scary as it's supposedly quite a well off county.

I agree with you re the internet. You can get some cracking prices on their to be honest - found this site last night at Bathroom Suites Shop. Bathroom Furniture, Vanity and Shower Enclosure UK . They seem to be very cheap on a lot of items, has anyone used them at all?

yep ive used those guys a few times...never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Trade' Pricing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock