Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This posting started off with the question whether 3+minutes was normal to get hot water in the kitchen. I thought it could be to do with a setting on the boiler. I did not even connect it to the circulating ring because that, in my mind, was in relation to getting hot water in the loft so why would my kitchen be affected.

This posting started off with the question whether 3+minutes was normal to get hot water in the kitchen. I thought it could be to do with a setting on the boiler. I did not even connect it to the circulating ring because that, in my mind, was in relation to getting hot water in the loft so why would my kitchen be affected.

the longer the run the more cold water you have to draw off before fresh hot water from the cylinder is used, the pipe might not be lagged/ insulated

with a secondary return the cold water in the pipe is sent back to the cylinder and fresh hot water is put in its place

in simple terms

Thanks for explaining Shaun.

What I can't get my head round is why it takes such a long time to get hot water in the kitchen. I know the boiler has been moved from the kitchen to the Utility room but when the boiler was in the kitchen I didn't have to wait over 3 minutes to get hot water in the Utility room. The wait was more like 40seconds. My husband thinks the hot water must go to the loft first before coming back down to the kitchen in order to take that long rather than straight from the Utility room to the kitchen...

Hopefully it will all be resolved and this will be a story I will tell to my children when they are older about the dramas involved with renovation projects.

Thanks for explaining Shaun.

What I can't get my head round is why it takes such a long time to get hot water in the kitchen. I know the boiler has been moved from the kitchen to the Utility room but when the boiler was in the kitchen I didn't have to wait over 3 minutes to get hot water in the Utility room. The wait was more like 40seconds. My husband thinks the hot water must go to the loft first before coming back down to the kitchen in order to take that long rather than straight from the Utility room to the kitchen...

Hopefully it will all be resolved and this will be a story I will tell to my children when they are older about the dramas involved with renovation projects.

from the boiler to the kitchen distance wise? and very unlikely it will go upstairs first and then back down to the kitchen

It is around 8 meters away, is that big? The kitchen and living room is open plan so one room. The Utility room is next to the living room, so across the living room to get to the kitchen sink.

It is around 8 meters away, is that big? The kitchen and living room is open plan so one room. The Utility room is next to the living room, so across the living room to get to the kitchen sink.

depending on run you could have 10-12m maybe 15m if theres things in the way of pipework esp if its un- insulated yes

at a rough guess 0.2L per m of 15mm or 0.35L for 22mm

worst case 22mm estimated at 15m 5.25L

Sorry this doesn't mean anything to me. How does this translate timewise? Are you saying 3+mins is normal then because of the distance? If so, why didn't I have an issue with the time to hot water in the Utility room when the boiler was in the kitchen?

Sorry this doesn't mean anything to me. How does this translate timewise? Are you saying 3+mins is normal then because of the distance? If so, why didn't I have an issue with the time to hot water in the Utility room when the boiler was in the kitchen?

depends on factors length and run of pipework is it insulated etc, but building reg/water regs state you must have hot water within 30 seconds

"government guidance recommends that when opening a hot water tap, or other outlet, the water should reach 50°C within 30 seconds." to stop wastage of water

Do you know which section of building regs your quote came from so that I can refer to it. It does say it is only a recommendation though.

I had instructed private building control for my renovation project but the surveyor for some reason is not replying to my e-mails about this issue as I had asked him first whether 3+mins was normal before posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock