Discuss why don't plumbers fit isolation valves?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MP plumb

i have come across soooo many maintenance jobs where there are NO isolation valves fitted.

some jobs have NONE whatsoever so i have to turn off the main stopcock and drain the whole system down, some use cheap valves that last a year until they get furred up or just dam right stuck!, and others put the valves in places u will never reach again!
so myy question is.... why do u old boys( i say old boys because i usually work on old sytems, and i know valves dont last forever, but even young boys dont care to fit them once they have worked on something) not fit them? is it cost or cant be bothered!!!!?

it makes such more hard work for me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always fit them. But I don't mind if they're not fitted as its only really become the norm in last few years.

.....because they're lazy tight fisted gits.

Seriously though all new installations should have them fitted as a matter of good practice. Saves gas in my pipe freezer!

Always fit them. I work on the basis it's probably me coming back at some point for servicing/repairing/replacing so make sure i can isolate and remove things nice and easily.

Until ballofix valves became commonly available there was no choice but to use stop taps and gate valves so it wasn't normal practice except on a lot of government housing contracts.

No excuse for not using them now though.

I always fit service valves,trouble is finding good quality ball a fix valves is becoming harder and harder

imho

I fit them all over the place too.

I think it was a new regulation on 1st April last year where every new tap had to have an isolation on it's supply pipe.

its not as bad as the plumbers that dont fit drain off valves on heating systems they are the spawn of satan especially drop-feed systems.

:innocent:

Oops!

I keep forgetting to fit downstairs radiators with lockshield/drain fittings ...

i don't fit them if ..

a) no room in existing installation
b) gravity fed so might impair flow
c) vented heating system

that applies to screw operated type not full bore

some will say it's just another joint to leak and drain downs are longer more skilled jobs with more money and i can see both those arguments too

OMG... thats a different argument when it come to drain off's!
ecowarm... are u admmitting to being one of 'those' plumbers who dont fit valves then?!!

i have also come across many properties that dont even have a drain off for the heating, and u end up having to take a rad off a downstairs wall to drain it, with the hope that the old rubbish valves still work and turn off properly!

drain off's are a nightmare.... some open ok, some start leaking from the screw, some are stuck shut, and some leak from every place possible!

but serioulsy...... whats wrong with leaver valves or good old fashion stop cockes here and there? u 'older' guys make our job soooo much longer to do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to why don't plumbers fit isolation valves?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back