Search the forum,

Discuss )TMV - non-return valve (school) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school.

During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem that the cold water is mixing with the hot.

I believe the most likely cause is the hot water non-return valve failing somewhere. Due to the size of the site, there are approximately 40 TMV valves!

As part of the annual service, the strainers on the TMV's are taken out and cleaned, so I don't think that will be the issue.

Can someone advise the fastest most cost effective way of identifying the TMV's that may have failed? Is it a case of removing each TMV and blowing down the valve to check the non-return is working and not 'letting-by'?

I am aware that a temperature could be taken off the hot water pipe when the pipes are running but haven't found this method totally reliable.

To give a full picture, the school also has no secondary return!

Any sound advice welcome.

Thanks

Max

I used to maintain commercial buildings each with many, many TMV's
Crossover was a common problem where tank fed hot and mains cold were at the same TMV.

The best way I found to track down a faulty TMV,,

Gain access to the TMV and it's pipework at point of entry,
Place one hand on the Hot pipe as close as possible to the TMV,
Run the tap and the Hot pipe will warm up,
Close / let go of the tap and the Hot should stay Hot / warm,
If there is crossover the Hot will go Cold as soon as the tap is closed.

The future solution would be to fit Non return valves in the Hot at the time of the annual TMV filter clean.

Last edited:
I used to maintain commercial buildings each with many, many TMV's
Crossover was a common problem where tank fed hot and mains cold were at the same TMV.

The best way I found to track down a faulty TMV,,

Gain access to the TMV and it's pipework at point of entry,
Place one hand on the Hot pipe as close as possible to the TMV,
Run the tap and the Hot pipe will warm up,
Close / let go of the tap and the Hot should stay Hot / warm,
If there is crossover the Hot will go Cold as soon as the tap is closed.

The future solution would be to fit Non return valves in the Hot at the time of the annual TMV filter clean.

There was a single tap causing the issue. We replaced the thermostatic cartridge inside the tap twice but the problem persisted. It was only when we changed the whole mixer tap that we fixed it. I don't quite understand how this could be the case as it looks like the tap just has two flexi's you connect to the pipework and nothing else that controls the temp or would cause the water to mix..

Anyway, thanks for your response.

Max

Reply to )TMV - non-return valve (school) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock