Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet cistern won't fill up and when adjust it manually it won't stop filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gifford

When I flush the cistern, it empties but will not fill up. When I make adjustment inside to make it flush it will not stop filling (oh yeah and it is VERY slow at filling)

Any help or advice much,y appreciated.

You need a new toilet inlet valve... Like a torbeck or fluid master.

Sounds like the diaphragm washer. It's an easy fix and the washer is readily available. Turn off the water to the cistern then you need to unscrew the lever arm, remove the large black washer and replace it with a new one facing in the same direction as the original. I'm assuming it's the Torbek type fill valve or one of its variants. Post a picture and we can advise you further.

How did it fill the 1st before 1st flush?? :wink:

When I flush the cistern, it empties but will not fill up. When I make adjustment inside to make it flush it will not stop filling (oh yeah and it is VERY slow at filling)

Any help or advice much,y appreciated.

Go for the Torbeck.:wink:

cistern.JPG hope this helps, thanks

You need a new fill valve as said. Don't bother trying to repair this, get a fluid master

I think its a Siamp ballcock. you can get washers for them from B&Q. They aren't the best ballcocks though so maybe fitting a new one might be better.

The newer torbecks are turd as well. The cheap inlet tubes tear off so easily, they're connected to a cheap plastic ring now!

The torbeck style inlet valve pictured has a flow restrictor fitted at bottom and you will probably find that it is blocked

If I were you I'd just remove your one and just fit a fluid master.

So, many posts on such a simple matter, I feel the need to join in.

Change the inlet valve, with either fluid master or torbek.

I prefer fluidmaster pro, I like the brass shank, saves me cross threading the thing!

The torbeck style inlet valve pictured has a flow restrictor fitted at bottom and you will probably find that it is blocked
I agree best to replace it with new one for all the time/cost it will take, i was just explaining what the most probable cause might be

As said replace that valve they are terrible. Stopped using roar becks a few years back after having problems so wouldnt recommend them. Fluid-master will serve you and your re filling cistern requirements just right !

Thanks to all, fluidmaster ordered, received and now fitted and we have a flushing cistern once again.
Just hope I have as much like with my other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet cistern won't fill up and when adjust it manually it won't stop filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock