Search the forum,

Discuss Time for a new hot water cylinder? (foam cracks and bulges) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My immersion heater has stopped working (fuse trips when I switch it on). I was planning to check/replace elements myself but having had a look at cylinder, fear problem may be more serious.

The cylinder foam is distorted and cracked in two places. The foam bulges out perhaps 1cm around the cracks

IMAG2247a.jpg IMAG2249a.jpg

(The hole is the result of me investigating)

Does this suggest the cylinder has had it? Before the immersion packed up, it was slightly noisier than usual.

All advice much appreciated.

Fact is, if the foam is delaminating it is not insulating.
Modern cylinders, especially if you specify 'economy 7' foaming have insulation that's a good twice (prob closer to 4x) as efficent as the old one you have.
At the ever rising price of energy I believe you'll be paid back in energy costs never mind peace of mind.

Oh I forgot. Often the element is impossible to remove without damaging the cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
My immersion heater has stopped working (fuse trips when I switch it on). I was planning to check/replace elements myself but having had a look at cylinder, fear problem may be more serious.

The cylinder foam is distorted and cracked in two places. The foam bulges out perhaps 1cm around the cracks

View attachment 36615 View attachment 36616

(The hole is the result of me investigating)

Does this suggest the cylinder has had it? Before the immersion packed up, it was slightly noisier than usual.

All advice much appreciated.
change immersion first see what happens..do you know how to do an immersion ?
centralheatking

I've never replaced an element before, but having done some research and seen what's involved, it's a job I'm willing to tackle.
ok....centralheatking guide to changing immersion heater element...others will chip in
turn cold water supply off to cylinder, let a couple of litres water out of hot tap. Leave rest of water in cylinder to keep it strong. turn lecky off and undo the 3 wires then with proper immersion box spanner undo immersion, it will resist,,, smart tap with decent hammer.
a little bit of water might appear as you undo unit. remove unit ...measure it and or go to plumbers merchant not bq get like for like plus a new stat. and small tub of boss white. smear boss white on thread carefully hand twist unit back into cylinder then nip up with box spanner. turn water on check for leak. re connect wires switch on listen to unit heating up. check temp and adjust thermo as required . sit down pat self on back open 1st of 4 beers bought on way back from plumbers merchant
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

ok....centralheatking guide to changing immersion heater element...others will chip in
turn cold water supply off to cylinder, let a couple of litres water out of hot tap. Leave rest of water in cylinder to keep it strong. turn lecky off and undo the 3 wires then with proper immersion box spanner undo immersion, it will resist,,, smart tap with decent hammer.
a little bit of water might appear as you undo unit. remove unit ...measure it and or go to plumbers merchant not bq get like for like plus a new stat. and small tub of boss white. smear boss white on thread carefully hand twist unit back into cylinder then nip up with box spanner. turn water on check for leak. re connect wires switch on listen to unit heating up. check temp and adjust thermo as required . sit down pat self on back open 1st of 4 beers bought on way back from plumbers merchant
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hello Rob,

I know that You have just missed this when writing your `Guide` to replacing an Immersion Heater - I am not `being funny towards You` - but just in case the OP does exactly what you wrote:

As the OP`s Immersion Heaters are on the side of the Cylinder He will need to drain off more than `let a couple of litres water out of hot tap` or he will be in trouble when the Immersion Heater is unscrewed.

OP / WesternPathfinder - You will need to drain the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater point before unscrewing it.

Chris

Stabilising the cylinder is very important. That top immersion could be doable, but the bottom one looks like it will be a real hunt to remove. Depends if you’re wanting to use economy 7, if not and your doing it yourself, drain it just below the top immersion and carefully slack it off, make sure you have plenty of dust sheets down. If water starts to come out you will need to tighten it back and drain a bit more out. if it were me I’d be replacing the cylinder.

Also your cylinder immersions are side entry so once you have got the immersion cracked(moving) drain it from the drain point to below the immersion level. (Scoop out any scale if there is any when you change it and make sure you get the right type of immersion for your water hardness)

Hello Rob,

I know that You have just missed this when writing your `Guide` to replacing an Immersion Heater - I am not `being funny towards You` - but just in case the OP does exactly what you wrote:

As the OP`s Immersion Heaters are on the side of the Cylinder He will need to drain off more than `let a couple of litres water out of hot tap` or he will be in trouble when the Immersion Heater is unscrewed.

OP / WesternPathfinder - You will need to drain the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater point before unscrewing it.

Chris

Hello All,

My apologies to PhoenixServices / - I had not read your message before posting my reply to Members Rob Foster and the OP / WesternPathfinder.

I also apologise to Members Rob Foster and WesternPathfinder for repeating what PhoenixServices had already advised regarding draining the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater boss.

Thanks to Member rpm who watches my messages to try and find the slightest error / reason for disagreement for bringing this to my attention.

Chris

Hello All,

My apologies to PhoenixServices / - I had not read your message before posting my reply to Members Rob Foster and the OP / WesternPathfinder.

I also apologise to Members Rob Foster and WesternPathfinder for repeating what PhoenixServices had already advised regarding draining the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater boss.

Thanks to Member rpm who watches my messages to try and find the slightest error or reason for disagreement for bringing this to my attention.

Chris
No hard feelings though mate.:p:p

I`ve just got a thing at the moment when people are in such a rush to post a reply that their reply is pretty meaningless because they can`t be bothered to read the complete thread.
Picked up on four and commented last night so wouldn`t let it worry you CHRISX. :D

I`ve just got a thing at the moment when people are in such a rush to post a reply that their reply is pretty meaningless because they can`t be bothered to read the complete thread.
Picked up on four and commented last night so wouldn`t let it worry you CHRISX. :D
It’s because we all love the forum mate. But also have jobs to do:p:p

Hello rpm,

I totally agree with You regarding Members not reading all of the replies before posting messages on the Forum.

As You know duplicated advice / information can occur accidentally when a Member is writing a message that contains similar advice / information to that being written and posted at the same time by another Member.

But that was NOT the case with my message earlier in this thread.

I obviously did not get to Member PhoenixServices message before writing and posting my message - that is something that I hardly ever do but I have been caught out and quite rightly admonished on this occasion.

I will definitely try to ensure that duplicated advice / information within my Forum messages does not happen again apart from perhaps elaborating on a Members reply / information.

If I do accidentally `plagiarise` another Members message I am sure that You will inform me / the Forum very quickly and I will be able to apologise immediately and if possible Edit my message to remove the duplicated advice / information.

On this occasion I could not Edit out the message because the edit facility had timed out.

Chris

Chill CHRISX, HV as in the members name and often used.

Hello rpm,

As soon as I posted the message that You just quoted and replied to I saw that You and Member HarvestFields were communicating and I realised that `HV` was referring to him.

I then quickly edited my message out with a brief explanation - You were obviously already writing your reply to that message.

However - Thanks for the explanation.

Chris

Reply to Time for a new hot water cylinder? (foam cracks and bulges) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock