Discuss Time for a new hot water cylinder? (foam cracks and bulges) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My immersion heater has stopped working (fuse trips when I switch it on). I was planning to check/replace elements myself but having had a look at cylinder, fear problem may be more serious.

The cylinder foam is distorted and cracked in two places. The foam bulges out perhaps 1cm around the cracks

IMAG2247a.jpg IMAG2249a.jpg

(The hole is the result of me investigating)

Does this suggest the cylinder has had it? Before the immersion packed up, it was slightly noisier than usual.

All advice much appreciated.

Fact is, if the foam is delaminating it is not insulating.
Modern cylinders, especially if you specify 'economy 7' foaming have insulation that's a good twice (prob closer to 4x) as efficent as the old one you have.
At the ever rising price of energy I believe you'll be paid back in energy costs never mind peace of mind.

Oh I forgot. Often the element is impossible to remove without damaging the cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
My immersion heater has stopped working (fuse trips when I switch it on). I was planning to check/replace elements myself but having had a look at cylinder, fear problem may be more serious.

The cylinder foam is distorted and cracked in two places. The foam bulges out perhaps 1cm around the cracks

View attachment 36615 View attachment 36616

(The hole is the result of me investigating)

Does this suggest the cylinder has had it? Before the immersion packed up, it was slightly noisier than usual.

All advice much appreciated.
change immersion first see what happens..do you know how to do an immersion ?
centralheatking

I've never replaced an element before, but having done some research and seen what's involved, it's a job I'm willing to tackle.
ok....centralheatking guide to changing immersion heater element...others will chip in
turn cold water supply off to cylinder, let a couple of litres water out of hot tap. Leave rest of water in cylinder to keep it strong. turn lecky off and undo the 3 wires then with proper immersion box spanner undo immersion, it will resist,,, smart tap with decent hammer.
a little bit of water might appear as you undo unit. remove unit ...measure it and or go to plumbers merchant not bq get like for like plus a new stat. and small tub of boss white. smear boss white on thread carefully hand twist unit back into cylinder then nip up with box spanner. turn water on check for leak. re connect wires switch on listen to unit heating up. check temp and adjust thermo as required . sit down pat self on back open 1st of 4 beers bought on way back from plumbers merchant
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to Time for a new hot water cylinder? (foam cracks and bulges) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
Hi all I'm blanking a couple of openings in a hot water cylinder. The Screwfix Flomasta 1" BSP plugs fit perfectly but no washer supplied or...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock