Discuss Time for a new hot water cylinder? (foam cracks and bulges) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Tips taken on board. Thanks all.

It looks like it's only the upper element (pictured) that's faulty. The Economy 7 element is still functioning.

BTstat.jpg

ok....centralheatking guide to changing immersion heater element...others will chip in
turn cold water supply off to cylinder, let a couple of litres water out of hot tap. Leave rest of water in cylinder to keep it strong. turn lecky off and undo the 3 wires then with proper immersion box spanner undo immersion, it will resist,,, smart tap with decent hammer.
a little bit of water might appear as you undo unit. remove unit ...measure it and or go to plumbers merchant not bq get like for like plus a new stat. and small tub of boss white. smear boss white on thread carefully hand twist unit back into cylinder then nip up with box spanner. turn water on check for leak. re connect wires switch on listen to unit heating up. check temp and adjust thermo as required . sit down pat self on back open 1st of 4 beers bought on way back from plumbers merchant
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hello Rob,

I know that You have just missed this when writing your `Guide` to replacing an Immersion Heater - I am not `being funny towards You` - but just in case the OP does exactly what you wrote:

As the OP`s Immersion Heaters are on the side of the Cylinder He will need to drain off more than `let a couple of litres water out of hot tap` or he will be in trouble when the Immersion Heater is unscrewed.

OP / WesternPathfinder - You will need to drain the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater point before unscrewing it.

Chris

Stabilising the cylinder is very important. That top immersion could be doable, but the bottom one looks like it will be a real hunt to remove. Depends if you’re wanting to use economy 7, if not and your doing it yourself, drain it just below the top immersion and carefully slack it off, make sure you have plenty of dust sheets down. If water starts to come out you will need to tighten it back and drain a bit more out. if it were me I’d be replacing the cylinder.

Also your cylinder immersions are side entry so once you have got the immersion cracked(moving) drain it from the drain point to below the immersion level. (Scoop out any scale if there is any when you change it and make sure you get the right type of immersion for your water hardness)

Hello Rob,

I know that You have just missed this when writing your `Guide` to replacing an Immersion Heater - I am not `being funny towards You` - but just in case the OP does exactly what you wrote:

As the OP`s Immersion Heaters are on the side of the Cylinder He will need to drain off more than `let a couple of litres water out of hot tap` or he will be in trouble when the Immersion Heater is unscrewed.

OP / WesternPathfinder - You will need to drain the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater point before unscrewing it.

Chris

Hello All,

My apologies to PhoenixServices / - I had not read your message before posting my reply to Members Rob Foster and the OP / WesternPathfinder.

I also apologise to Members Rob Foster and WesternPathfinder for repeating what PhoenixServices had already advised regarding draining the Cylinder to below the Immersion Heater boss.

Thanks to Member rpm who watches my messages to try and find the slightest error / reason for disagreement for bringing this to my attention.

Chris

Reply to Time for a new hot water cylinder? (foam cracks and bulges) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
Hi all I'm blanking a couple of openings in a hot water cylinder. The Screwfix Flomasta 1" BSP plugs fit perfectly but no washer supplied or...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock