Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
0ecaedc9fd48b4e5b3ead702eddcc8ae.jpg

Went to do a private job and change the cartridges in this tap and both are seized into the tap. So have to replace the tap.

Have to remove the tiles which sit directly underneath a mirror above and a glass shower screen to the right.

If I manage to get the tiles out without recking the mirror or the screen, I'll have to chop off a fair bit of the ply to get to the tap.

Question I pose is, what's the best way to put the ply back so I can have my first attempt at retiling once I've fitted he new tap???

Lol i would nt worry about putting the ply back , your main problem is getting the tiles off lol

honest opinion can you get access from behind?

I'd try harder to get the cartridges out lol! Maybe take a socket set or apply lots of heat, are they reverse thread? Looks a pig of a job to change the taps lol

once you've removed the mirror and screen so you can get the tiles out and got the tiles off, if you cut the ply back to the nearest timber and ply from there or cut the ply and screw a 2x1 timber to the ply so you've got an 1" lap each side so your new ply has something to screw too

I'd try harder to get the cartridges out lol! Maybe take a socket set or apply lots of heat, are they reverse thread? Looks a pig of a job to change the taps lol

I didn't check if they were reverse thread as they seem like normal ceramic cartridges.. I tried a box spanner with a Tommy bar, large grips, large adjustable and nothing budged them. Gonna go see now if the new cartridges are reverse thread ....

once you've removed the mirror and screen so you can get the tiles out and got the tiles off, if you cut the ply back to the nearest timber and ply from there or cut the ply and screw a 2x1 timber to the ply so you've got an 1" lap each side so your new ply has something to screw too

I'm not removing the mirror or the screen.. I'd rather just hammer the tiles to bits and remove them then go to all that trouble lol

Definitely not reverse thread

soak in wd40 and leave overnight

Do they have an allen set screw holding the cartridges in? I've come across these on (from memory) Grohe showers. You screw the cartridge in, and then fix it in place with a screw which goes into the side of the threaded part of the cartridge. If you don't take the screw out it is impossible to remove the cartridge.

Do they have an allen set screw holding the cartridges in? I've come across these on (from memory) Grohe showers. You screw the cartridge in, and then fix it in place with a screw which goes into the side of the threaded part of the cartridge. If you don't take the screw out it is impossible to remove the cartridge.

No I didn't see anything like that on them. Im starting to wish I didn't take on the job now.. Lol

My plan is to take out the grout, remove the tap heads and put a suction cup on the tile (the type you hold glass slabs with) and then pry the tile off by sticking a screwdriver between the tile/ply while pulling in the suction cup... In my head it works REALLY well haha

the question you got to think of where am i going to get tiles to match as they will crack

Jay if you are extremely lucky and who ever stuck the tiles on used poor adhesive you maybe in with a chance. But I doubt it.
I am assuming the tiles are on plasterboard , if you have a multicutter scrape out the grout and carefully cut through the grout line straight through the board as well , in other words the tiles will be untouched and still stuck to the board.
Bung them in a bucket of water for a few days and the adhesive should scrape off.
Yes a load of work but it does work , I have done it loads of times

Good luck lol

Jay if you are extremely lucky and who ever stuck the tiles on used poor adhesive you maybe in with a chance. But I doubt it.
I am assuming the tiles are on plasterboard , if you have a multicutter scrape out the grout and carefully cut through the grout line straight through the board as well , in other words the tiles will be untouched and still stuck to the board.
Bung them in a bucket of water for a few days and the adhesive should scrape off.
Yes a load of work but it does work , I have done it loads of times

Good luck lol

The tiles are on ply..

still the same but thicker

You said about going behind, how would that work if it's screwed in at the front? I'd have to cut out the baton or whatever it's screwed to and then fix the new tap to a new piece of wood and then mount that on to whatever is hanging over...???

You said about going behind, how would that work if it's screwed in at the front? I'd have to cut out the baton or whatever it's screwed to and then fix the new tap to a new piece of wood and then mount that on to whatever is hanging over...???

i was on about what townfanjon posted he said plaster board and i mean no difference but the thickness

i was on about what townfanjon posted he said plaster board and i mean no difference but the thickness

No, I'm sure you've mentioned before about going behind rather than in front to remove the tap, no?? Maybe I had too many vinos when I read the replies lol

No, I'm sure you've mentioned before about going behind rather than in front to remove the tap, no?? Maybe I had too many vinos when I read the replies lol

yes but you said you cant and i thought townfanjon idea was good :D

yes but you said you cant and i thought townfanjon idea was good :D

Ahh ok furry muff. My brain is fried and just tucking into my first glass of wine so I'm unlikely to make much sense any more.

Got 9 effing jobs tomorrow and a trip to north London for 4 of them :mad: *sigh*

Ahh ok furry muff. My brain is fried and just tucking into my first glass of wine so I'm unlikely to make much sense any more.

Got 9 effing jobs tomorrow and a trip to north London for 4 of them :mad: *sigh*

only 9 do all that before dinner esp if you go to london on your bike (no tole thingy to worrie about and you can cut traffic up)

only 9 do all that before dinner esp if you go to london on your bike (no tole thingy to worrie about and you can cut traffic up)

Yeah I was thinking of gettin one of those bikes with the front container like you see those idiots in with their kids in the front ... Might save me a few hours sitting in traffic

Yeah I was thinking of gettin one of those bikes with the front container like you see those idiots in with their kids in the front ... Might save me a few hours sitting in traffic

or get a trailer

So I've been back to the property and I reckon going in from behind may be an option. There's no way to get the tiles out without damaging something along the way. So in gonna poke my inspection camera through the plasterboard and see what the backside looks like.

I'm guessing it's been fitted onto a stud which I'll have to cut out and replace once I fit the new tap into the replacement piece ... That's the aim anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiling... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close to each other but didn't use any joint sealant. When I asked him whether this will be an issue for future leaks he dismissed it. How worried should I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'd like to get some advice on the following issue. We have relatively large tiles (see image 1), and the idea was that the vertical grout line on the would be covered by the (mount of the) bath screen. The 2nd fix has just happened, and the screen was fixed slightly off the line. I...
Replies
Views
I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
I'll start this by saying I'm hoping to sort this by diy / minimal professional help as I'm a very tight budget! I've got a walk-in shower in a wet room. The shower has a tiled-over former with an additional ring of tiles around it. When the shower's in use, a drip comes through into the room...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock