Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Self cutting DOC - good idea or another bit of junk for the toolbox? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

Saw this today for the first time. Apparently we have been selling them for ages! :) I had never seen it before.

Its a cross between a self-cutting tap and a DOC. The idea is that it is a temporary fix to allow you to drain down when there are no DOCs fitted - once drained you take it out, replace the bit of pipe that you have cut into, and fit a proper DOC so that the next plumber doesn't have the same problem.

Clever idea, or just another gadget that will haunt the van?

Attachments

• Self  cutting DOC.jpg
    Self cutting DOC.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 272
good idea where can i get one - smaller than my wmc one .

why not order from ray our forum sponsor ?

what you knocking them out at ray plus pnp ?

Last edited by a moderator:
why now order from ray our forum sponsor ?

what you knocking them out at ray plus pnp ?

At the moment BOD, we aren't really geared up for mail order. We are working on that at the moment, so in the relatively near future we will have an online ecommerce site.

As a bit of fun though, I will post out 5 to Bod, Buckley Plumb and the next 3 Plumbers Arms members that PM me a snail mail address. No cost, just come back on the forum and give a short bit of feedback. (Can be positive or negative).

The bloke who invented them (and a hundred other little plumbing gadgets) is an old mate of mine, and I saw him today, so am really doing this as a favour to him.

If you want one, and live in the South East, come into your nearest Williams and get one. If you are out of our area, show the pic to your local independent merchant and tell him they come from Pond Agencies.

Tell the boys at Littlehampton I will be in for one !!

Kev Stephenson.

Thanks Ray,
Is there a 22mm version made as well ? ( not asking for one of those for free as that would just be cheeky !! )

Kev.

i havent seen one was looking last week i ended up freezing pipe

they are a very good way of draining down when there are no docs, i have one with washing machine 3/4 fitting on so i can attach a drain hose with no leaks unlike sometimes with a doc.

Thanks Ray,
Is there a 22mm version made as well ?

I don't know. I have emailed my mate a link to this thread, so hopefully he can answer. Maybe a new product idea for him.

He does do a 22mm wide aperture type A DOC, which he reckons allow you to drain down 77% faster than using a 15mm. Its the same principle as a normal DOC, just a bigger body, a decent gland and plenty of room for the water to flow, or the odd bit of debris to pass. Combine that with a self-cutting head, and you wouldnt have time for a cuppa whilst the system drained!

Attachments

• 22mm DOC.JPG
    22mm DOC.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 240
another tool i have used in the past saved the skin on my knuckles on pumping up exp vessels and good for repairing damaged valves just screw onto faulty schrider valve and its fixed if access is not possiple to get the valve out.

Attachments

• exp ext.jpg
    exp ext.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 250
OK - freebies are gone! Bod, Buckley Plumb, Nicro, Gray0689 and Kev the Gas were quickest off the mark!

I don't know. I have emailed my mate a link to this thread, so hopefully he can answer. Maybe a new product idea for him.

He does do a 22mm wide aperture type A DOC, which he reckons allow you to drain down 77% faster than using a 15mm. Its the same principle as a normal DOC, just a bigger body, a decent gland and plenty of room for the water to flow, or the odd bit of debris to pass. Combine that with a self-cutting head, and you wouldnt have time for a cuppa whilst the system drained!
now that sounds a good idea.

These are very useful in emergencies, more so as burst pipe season is nearly upon us. If you get a call out in the wee small hours to cap a water main but can't get the water switched off, fit one of these before the burst, connect a hose to it and divert the water outside, it takes the main flow of pressure off the burst pipe, making it easier to fix the burst.

Ray can you also get a 22mm version of this particular one with the drain valve?

Looks excellent. Could do with a few of those. Saves dragging my wmc tap out all the time.
Just my luck to miss a freebie though lol

could have done with one of those today,40 year old system,knackerd pump and fitted by a monkey,no isos on it and no drain offs what a PITA had to disconnect a rad to drop the system only to find they were mini era valves and not 3/4 tails ,and neutral point was blocked the joys of old systems,oh and after sorting all that the gravity circ airlocked

talk about a missed oppertunity ive been using a self cut wash mac for years to drain down when theres no doc never thought there was a market for this think i even put it up in hints on here

OK - freebies are gone! Bod, Buckley Plumb, Nicro, Gray0689 and Kev the Gas were quickest off the mark!

We can see who spends half the day sitting on their backsides instead of working now.

I've used these for quite a while , BES stock them.

i posted about these self cutting doc a few times in the past year or so, very good and i always have one on the van.

There's nothing I hate more than someone checking their phone all day for messages. Anyone does that working for me it's phone in the van or off site.

i hate talking/working with somebody who cuts convos short to answer there phone or check text messages all the time.... it drives me mad and i tend to always.............. "beep,beep!"

Last edited:
My phone is set on vibrate when in a house, so no one gets disturbed by the constant ringtone all day. I mainly use it for work and honestly couldn't do without it now.

I still remember my first phone. A "half brick" Motorola. How things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self cutting DOC - good idea or another bit of junk for the toolbox? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock