Discuss Recommended cordless kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good drillbit is imperative. I use the "cross head ones" usually buy box of Hilti ones as they cheap and ok quality

Cordless sds anything upto 15mm 450 long after that te60
Oh an Milwaukee

I used to have a hitachi 24v that I used for everything upto 30mm it was a beast I was gutted when it got stolen. The only time I used to get the 110v drill out was if I had to drill a lot of large holes.

I have Makita 8406 core
Makita 18v combi drill
Bosch 10.8v Impact ......rarely use and not good enough really, could do with the 18v makita Impact.
Cheap Multi Cutter (vital now to me)
Cheap Circular saw
Ryobi 240v SDS had this three years and drilled holes up to 18mm on its own then a 25mm through after.
You do get what you pay for, my Makita gear is quality the other stuff is just cheap and throwable.

Is the Bosch 18v combi drill any good? The GSR 18v Lids I think it is? Approx £150. Looks like a bit of a toy....

A friend of mine said to me very recently he couldn't live without an impact driver, he uses it to neatly cut holes in work tops below boilers with a spade bit he was saying. I couldn't really understand why it would differ from a decent combi drill for this purpose?

I could see it being useful for drilling joists for pipe because it's physically smaller. Anyone use an impact for these purposes?

Goz, glad you mentioned the 10.8v impact, I was debating buying it alongside my 10.8v bosch drill driver but if it's gutless there's no point.

Try and keep all your cordless stuff the same. So if you have Bosch 18v you can swap the batteries. Otherwise you will end up with loads of chargers etc.

Absolutely! I only have the 10.8v GSR drill driver though so I'm not tied into anything yet, that's what's making this decision a bit of a difficult one. If I drop £200+ on a combi drill, I'll want to build a set of tools around it that can use the same batteries for sure.

Any ideas on the £150 18v bosch combis? I'm edging towards a dewalt dcd985 at the moment but it is a fair bit more £$

I have the Bosch 18v combi. Got it about 8 weeks ago in a moment of madness, because I don't buy Bosch normally. It is very compact (shortest combi made) which is very handy when you are in a tight spot - like between joists. It is a very light, well balanced, yet solid enough drill. I was told recently that the Bosch Professional cordless tools are not that good for the trade & Metabo are better. Metabo however, are heavy & bulky.
Impact drivers are the way to go, because they have huge torque & also they are so tiny, plus no chuck - just a 1/4" drive.
If you can't afford a whole kit, just buy a combi drill with impact driver & 2 battery kit as it is the cheapest deal & just buy the bodies later of whatever you need.
Hilti will be doing a Christmas deal starting in a few days at start of November, which you might want to wait on to have a look.
You probably will need a right angled chuck drill for plastic, copper & waste pipes etc through middle of joists. Makita is mine.

Last edited:
I have been using sds for the last 20 +'years, and they can put holes in anything fast.

As I have aged I have slowed a little and started using Bosch multi construction drill bits and 18v drill for anything 10 and under.

For 3 reasons, when u mark fixing holes they drill where they should, can drill tiles better than anything else on the market and u haven't got to worry about plaster on the other side of the wall.

I do have a 240v and 36 v Bosch sds drills but only come out when needed.

Same here not sure when we bought our first sds but it changed the game completely like you say must be over 20 years ago and they were expensive and nickable then !
After my cement mixer came a mini excavator at age 19 and then a 9 inch Hitachi angle grinder that was twice the price they are today 30 years ago ! Kit has never been so cheap as today .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommended cordless kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice from people who have these brands or these particular sets. I am torn between either the ; MAKITA DLX2145TJ...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
FIXRADIO - Tunes Request Thread - The PlumbersForums.net official unofficial tunes request and shout-out thread. This isn't something we've...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/makita-dhp456smij-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/6948h I can't afford not to buy it.
Replies
Views
H
Hello, I'm just completing on a bungalow that needs everything doing to it, full replumb, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, underfloor heating, loft...
Replies
Views
Back