Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Can't decide which drill set to purchase in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Lee Davies

Lee Davies Member

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice from people who have these brands or these particular sets.

I am torn between either the ;

MAKITA DLX2145TJ 18V 5.0AH LI-ION LXT CORDLESS COMBI DRILL & IMPACT DRIVER TWIN PACK

Priced at £299.99

Or

MILWAUKEE M18CBLPP2A-402C 18V 4.0AH LI-ION REDLITHIUM BRUSHLESS CORDLESS COMBI DRILL & IMPACT DRIVER TWIN PACK

Priced at £249.99

Now I know that each has pros and cons such as the 5.0mAh vs the 4.0mAh, but I am not too well up on power drills.

These will be used mainly for affixing radiators, boilers, timber works, programmers etc etc.

Anything such as drilling through an exterior wall for condensates etc I will use my Hilti SDS 110v or a WEKA diamond core drill.

TIA
    Lee Davies
    Pro-Gas

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Makita.

Had Bosch when I first started and stayed with Bosch when the first ones bit the dust.
    When they went I moved onto Milwaukee, it was on par with the Bosch but endurance was pants.
    The Makita I have now has already lasted twice as long as the Milwaukee.

• Like Like x 2
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Personally I am a Makita man, my battery’s are the old 3AH and are great.
    However nothing wrong with Milwaukee

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lee Davies

Lee Davies Member

Thanks for the messages so far :)

I think I will go with the Makita, okay they may be brushed but it's a brand I have heard of for many years, has a larger battery and faster charge time.

5. gmartine

gmartine GSR

I have a foot in both camps and I'd say those kits are much of a muchness. Although not FUEL the milwaukee does claim to be brushless which will probably negate the lesser run time of the 4A battery. The Makita combi is significantly more powerful which may come in handy, what colour do you prefer or maybe check the weight difference if you're not doing HD endurance work with them but the Makita kit by a knats c**k, both excellent platforms imo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lee Davies

Lee Davies Member

Cheers GMartine,

Will get the Makita set as I prefer the looks haha.

7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You wont be sorry

8. Lee Davies

Lee Davies Member

You're right, just found the makita set cheaper online for £259.99 :O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Advice I was given was buy the best value kit of your chosen brand that comes with a least 2 batteries (of decent ah) and then buy bare tools later.
    If you work out the cost, you usually find it is cheaper to buy a brushed twin kit complete with it’s batteries and charger and then buy a brushless bare tool later.
    As I said earlier, the Milwaukee from Screwfix offer was £169.99, and then a £10 discount voucher, but the pair of 4ah batteries are worth about £100, the charger I guess about £30, the case at least £20, so good deal even just if needing batteries and spare charger.

10. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

I had Makita and batteries have been garbage, luckily I didn’t purchase the tools my employer did. Dewalt have always been a lot of people’s favourite, I personally have Lidl’s own (parkside) as don’t do much drilling now and they have been very good.

11. WC1

WC1 Active Member

May not be the precise model but this guy does for my money pretty much the only tool reviews on youtubes.

Forgive him, he's Canadian.

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I’ve got the same drill it’s good

13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The carpenter that boarded my loft said that they are awesome. But he said to stick with Milwaukee.

14. leadpig

leadpig Member

i was told that the new milwaukee is basically ryobi .
    my makita lxt 6 piece kit is 11 years old and all still running fine

15. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

How is a Milwaukee a ryobi?