Discuss Recommended cordless kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmheat

Gas Engineer
Hi all

Relatively new to install work having been heavily biased to boiler service and repair for the last 12 odd years.

I have some powertools, which I've used for the odd install or upgrade, but am finding myself stuck, often, with what I currently have.

So I'm after advice.

I currently have;
Makita 8406 core drill
Bosch GSR 10.8v drill driver
Black & Decker 18v combi drill (look I'm sorry...)
No name circ saw
No name small recip saw

The core drill I'm fine with, and to be fair the little 10.8v bosch is decent for pilot holes and driving for boiler fixings, but the rest, I am ashamed of, and it's appaling.

I don't take up that many floors, yet, so the circular saw isn't an immediate requirement, but a consideration for future purchase.

Things I HAVE struggled with....holes through joists for my pipework, drilling 10mm masonary holes (cordlessly,core will do it but no use up a long ladder) and driving anything longer than 2" and 10/12+

I guess i should maybe invest in a serious spec 18v combi drill and work my system of tools up from that? So recommendations gents, which system do I buy into? Bosch? Milwaukee? Dewalt? Makita?

It's cheaper to go for a whole kit if you want everything cordless. I've got Makita which I bought 5 years ago and like it all. Although I think Milwaukee and dewalt might be better now.

I was sort of hoping to spend £200-300 on one or two key items and construct the rest of the kit over time. I can't justify dropping £5/6/700 on a full kit when I'm still mostly on service and repair right now

Thanks for the input

Dan

I am perfectly happy with all my Makita kit started off with just a 18v combi drill and impact driver set and now have the sds and mini grinder. All excelent tools and all share batteries. I bought my last few items as body onlys bought batteries seperate as I dont need to waste money on a new charger and box for each individual tool. Got mine from ffx, prices were fair and it was the cheapest way to get what I needed. The Makita European HQ is close to me so I can have them maintained in the future if necessary with ease.

Last edited:
Maybe go for something like an 18V makita combi drill and then buy a bare 18V sds drill and just use the batteries from the combi drill. Will be no good for drilling big holes but good for the smaller ones (hanging rads/ clips etc)

Also a cheap corded sds to use and abuse doing bigger holes (I have a cheap bosch that I use even for coring holes although it does get a little hot! lol)

Do you guys use an sds for hanging rads etc then? A sparky I worked with the other day couldn't understand how I was getting by without a cordless sds?

Ive always used a cordless combi drill for holes up to 10mm....probably part of the reason I'm so slow lol

Do you guys use an sds for hanging rads etc then? A sparky I worked with the other day couldn't understand how I was getting by without a cordless sds?

Ive always used a cordless combi drill for holes up to 10mm....probably part of the reason I'm so slow lol

Yeah I do. I have not got a cordless sds yet but hopefully not long until I get one.

I've got the 6kg titan sds but only use it for chiseling really,too wild for anything that requires a fixing really. I guess a 2kg sds would be much better for that?

Cordless sds anything upto 15mm 450 long after that te60
Oh an Milwaukee

I have been using sds for the last 20 +'years, and they can put holes in anything fast.

As I have aged I have slowed a little and started using Bosch multi construction drill bits and 18v drill for anything 10 and under.

For 3 reasons, when u mark fixing holes they drill where they should, can drill tiles better than anything else on the market and u haven't got to worry about plaster on the other side of the wall.

I do have a 240v and 36 v Bosch sds drills but only come out when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommended cordless kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice from people who have these brands or these particular sets. I am torn between either the ; MAKITA DLX2145TJ...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
FIXRADIO - Tunes Request Thread - The PlumbersForums.net official unofficial tunes request and shout-out thread. This isn't something we've...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/makita-dhp456smij-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/6948h I can't afford not to buy it.
Replies
Views
H
Hello, I'm just completing on a bungalow that needs everything doing to it, full replumb, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, underfloor heating, loft...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock