Search the forum,

Discuss Pair of grips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leethegasman

Gas Engineer
I have never been asked this before but my latest apprentice asked me a question I did not no the answer to.
I asked him for a pair of grips (meaning one set I would think like most of us a pair of grips is one set)
He wanted to give me two sets.
So why do we refer to it as a pair of grips
I have a few theories that I have told him but also said I'm not sure and new a group of people that stay up all night talking about important things such as this.

Nice! Each side of the plier has a gripped face hence a pair of grips. Plus it's the use of English

Normally I can't stand Ronnie Corbett, mainly because of our history, but this sketch does make oi larffff....

[video=youtube_share;oaGpaj2nHIo]http://youtu.be/oaGpaj2nHIo[/video]

The delivery is so deadpan it`s genuis.

To do with the way language and use of words change/ are applied for example

originally it would have been could you pass me a set of grips? Word association with set is pair hence a move to "a pair of grips"

other words/sentences that have changed or likely to be lost to our language are May I? Might I? You must!

and that most people have developed a tendency to talk using progressive verbs whilst not using the same approach when writing.

there was a thing on radio 4 regarding it on Tuesday afternoon

We also have "a pair of scissors" and a "pair of trousers".

I think its just a linguistic code for a single item which consists of a matched pair (blades, legs or whatever) that are pointless in isolation, but become useful when there are two joined together.

We also have "a pair of scissors" and a "pair of trousers".

I think its just a linguistic code for a single item which consists of a matched pair (blades, legs or whatever) that are pointless in isolation, but become useful when there are two joined together.

Almost like gin and tonic or in apps case cabbage water and chartreuse

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your replies I was correct to ask him for a pair of grips, I will let him know tomorrow and if the cheeky bugger gives me two pairs after that I'm sure that he will remember next time when one of the pairs get thrown back at him.

Nice! Each side of the plier has a gripped face hence a pair of grips. Plus it's the use of English

Okay then "O clever one" why are footprints called footprints?
And why would you and all else say, "pass me the footprints" not "pass me a pair of footprints" as one would think?:)
"Pass me the footprints" is everyday plumber usage.

No it's" give me the footprints you pleb"

"NOW, not next week. Get off your phone"

Footprints is a brand name . They are grips essentially so as per my original post

I tend not to complain whatever my apprentices pass me.

I ask for a grip - I get a hammer...
I ask for a drill - I get a spanner.

Meet my apprentices......and yes they arent too hot on health and safety either .....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420842175467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420842175467.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 40
No it's" give me the footprints you pleb"

"NOW, not next week. Get off your phone"

Footprints is a brand name . They are grips essentially so as per my original post

This, and look at the shape of them.

I tend not to complain whatever my apprentices pass me.

I ask for a grip - I get a hammer...
I ask for a drill - I get a spanner.

Meet my apprentices......and yes they arent too hot on health and safety either .....
I could cope with whatever they hand me :wink:

Footprints.................the best universal grips ever made.

I once had a boy who called them footsteps lol

Man, not used footprints in ages, they were phenomenal aswell. I'm off to get a set/pair/whatever today :D

Thinking of this thread yesterday whilst using a pair of footies in the rain on a call out to change a pump in an outside boiler enclosure.

Thankfully I actually had a lovely young lady with me who had opened up the house, this never happens to me...... I had to drag the callout out......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pair of grips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock