Discuss Pair of grips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leethegasman

Gas Engineer
I have never been asked this before but my latest apprentice asked me a question I did not no the answer to.
I asked him for a pair of grips (meaning one set I would think like most of us a pair of grips is one set)
He wanted to give me two sets.
So why do we refer to it as a pair of grips
I have a few theories that I have told him but also said I'm not sure and new a group of people that stay up all night talking about important things such as this.

Nice! Each side of the plier has a gripped face hence a pair of grips. Plus it's the use of English

Normally I can't stand Ronnie Corbett, mainly because of our history, but this sketch does make oi larffff....

[video=youtube_share;oaGpaj2nHIo]http://youtu.be/oaGpaj2nHIo[/video]

The delivery is so deadpan it`s genuis.

To do with the way language and use of words change/ are applied for example

originally it would have been could you pass me a set of grips? Word association with set is pair hence a move to "a pair of grips"

other words/sentences that have changed or likely to be lost to our language are May I? Might I? You must!

and that most people have developed a tendency to talk using progressive verbs whilst not using the same approach when writing.

there was a thing on radio 4 regarding it on Tuesday afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pair of grips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m new here and don’t know a thing about plumbing so be gentle on me as I am also going to ask a possible dumb question, this summer I turned...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
Back