Discuss Newbie to the forum and to plumbing-Hi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

30s_starter

Hi Everyone, Just signed up to the forum.....been checking the threads for a while now (while deciding whether to take the plunge into the plumbing world!). Have decided to go for it, I'm 34 with a family and know its not going to be easy, but have been thinking of it for a while and if I dont now I dont think I ever will. I have signed up to Somerset Arts and Technology college for a 2 yr evening course for the Plumbing City and Guilds level 2. Hopfuly I will be able to find a work placement in that time to then further my education to NVQ 2/3. I am hoping also to evetually pursue my interest in the solar energy field!!! From what I can gather at the mo tho plumbing is very popular and work placements might favour the younger candidate, hope not! Any how hi to everyone, I look forward to becoming a valid member of the forum, and to chat with others....Jason:)

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hello 30s_starter, welcome aboard www.UKPlumbersForums.co.uk. Stick around, I'm sure you'll like the place. :)

stick with it and youll get there and be prepared to work for free if need be to get experience

Hi mate

Iam a newbie to.

Iam 6 months into my level 3 after passing level 2 last year.

I've found it difficult to find work with plumbing companies but still hanging in there. Doing the odd tap repair, additional radiator to gain experience.

Good luck.

Hi mate

Iam a newbie to.

Iam 6 months into my level 3 after passing level 2 last year.

I've found it difficult to find work with plumbing companies but still hanging in there. Doing the odd tap repair, additional radiator to gain experience.

Good luck.
Hi Old Plumber and Rabrett, thanks guys. Working for free was something I thought I might have to do, cant believe i'm saying it tho Im ok with that!! I have run my own company for the last 10yrs so this big change is a big culture shock compared to what ive been used to and being prepared to work for free!!! Hey Rabrett what course are you doing C&G or NVQ? also how old are you if you dont mind me asking.

dont be to ageist there, I hit the tools at 45 and qualified finally at 49, the knees dont work, everything costs more each week, but the best bit is working for yourself and occassionally having a bunch of happy custards who reccomend you to their mates.

dont be to ageist there, I hit the tools at 45 and qualified finally at 49, the knees dont work, everything costs more each week, but the best bit is working for yourself and occassionally having a bunch of happy custards who reccomend you to their mates.
Thanks, I will hit the tools as soon as possible. The course does not start until sept so would be nice to get on with someone/company before then, even if I can give them voluntary days to start, and work around my current comitments.

Hi

Iam doing C & G, and iam the big 4 0 in June. Different to what i am used to, i worked as a branch manager for a motor factor. I love working with my hands and i get a great sense of achievement when i finish a job.

Looking to start my own bussiness any tips

Regards

Rich

Hi

If you need any help with the course, hints or tips i will be happy to help.

Regards

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Iam doing C & G, and iam the big 4 0 in June. Different to what i am used to, i worked as a branch manager for a motor factor. I love working with my hands and i get a great sense of achievement when i finish a job.

Looking to start my own bussiness any tips

Regards

Rich

Hi

If you need any help with the course, hints or tips i will be happy to help.

Regards

Rich

Thats great, thanks Rich,

can I ask why you are doing a level 3 in C&G, are you looking to do a NVQ? the reason I ask is because I was led to believe that you could go for this after doing level 2 of C&G (please excuse me if by asking seems ignorant)

A plumbing business I am imagining would run abit differently than what ive been used to, but I suppose the principles would pretty much be the same, I was given a few pointers while running my own companies and learnt some too....keep people sweet and when youve done your best too but they are still unhappy then realise you probably never would.... always do the job correctly and deliver whats promised or even better under offer and deliver more when possible....... price well and keep a close control of finances (with a good accountant or bookkeeper if poss, it could be the difference between profit and loss no matter how busy ).......... no one likes to feel a quitter but its better to turn down a job thats beyond, than take it on and get it wrong......... and probably the best advise I was given was "a bad word travels faster and further than a good one"
I could go on abit further but these are the main ones that I will decided to use if I decide to go it alone (which I probably will), oh and I think van image is important when its parked outside customers properties, so I will be spending abit on getting a professional image/look done on mine

Warm regards Jason

Hi Jason,

I have signed up at my local college to do the Tech Cert 6129 in Sept.

Could you please tell me if you have had to pay for the course?

Thanks

Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie to the forum and to plumbing-Hi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, i'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice on Plumbing courses, so far i have spoken to a few 'Train4Trade' (with their virtual...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
D
Hi i was just wanting to know if anyone could point out some good tools to buy for me as im new to the game and will be doing plumbing and gas...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
applicator1
A
A
I signed up to the plumbing forum a while ago as I am intending to train as a plumber and need some advice. I'm getting really bogged down with...
Replies
Views
gorbsteruk
G
L
Hi guys, new to the forum just wondering if you could give me your advice? Basically ive been training as a draingage engineer with dyno rod for...
Replies
Views
PuraTherm
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock