Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Qualifications- Self Employed (sorry to post again) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, this is my first post and hopefully many more to come.

I have a query that has troubled me for some time. Basically i have completed my Level 2 in Plumbing 6129 at college a couple of years ago. Ive worked for a few plumbers on and off and have been travelling as i am young in the mean time. Now i am ready to start my own business, i was wondering can i do this with just my level 2 6129? i havnt done my NVQ Level 2 yet so do i need this to be qualified/legal to work self employed?

And what exactly do i need/have to do to become self employed plumber? I obviously know that i cant touch Gas, Oil or Unvented systems etc, but im interested in basic plumbing, bathrooms and tiling at the moment. I hope to move onto Level 3, Gas, Oil etc in the future but i want to do everything legally and to the book first off.

Hope to have some feedback, Many thanks

You dont need any qualifications at all to be a plumber in the uk , in other countries it is however regulated. Self employed , no one will ever ask you for any certs obviously exept for your gas , but for basic plumbing you should aim for level 2 then on to 3.

i have been asked twice this year to show my nvq's.
perhaps i should stop wearing my stetson and chaps.lol.

To gain an NVQ you only need to be on someone's insurance, then have the plumber sign off work you have done along with some on-site assessment from the assessor. If you message me directly I can give you a short cut.

Ian

Ok thats great thank you for your replys- Just one more question- can anyone help me with how i would actually start up my business when ive gained my NVQ Level 2? i.e. insurance, self-employment?Also how can i become approved by a membership like CIPHE? To boost my business.Any help would be excellent, many thanks

To gain an NVQ you only need to be on someone's insurance, then have the plumber sign off work you have done along with some on-site assessment from the assessor. If you message me directly I can give you a short cut.

Ian

a short cut?

if not ill have a level 2 please thanks your pint is in the pub m8

i presumed that was a joke
sort of,
i was curious if on a web search there would be many looking for a short cut to a cert or nvq so i am counting the views.
nothing malicious at all to those trying just seeing whos searching.
it got some lively posts though....

If you want some free independant help with a new business etc then look at the 'business link' web site and make sure you find 'your regional' site out of it. Some local 'business link' organisations and councils run free initial workshops for those seeking to start up a new business, but I used a lot of their 'self-study' packages to start my own. You might find they can put you in touch with other 'advisors' etc as well. Whatever you do, get a 'business plan' sorted for the bank, they won't entertain you without one!Good luck

sort of,
i was curious if on a web search there would be many looking for a short cut to a cert or nvq so i am counting the views.
nothing malicious at all to those trying just seeing whos searching.
it got some lively posts though....

any pms asking for a cert?

Hi mate, ive just recently started my own business too. Its pretty simple, but costs a few ££ and you NEED work.

Getting water regs certificate isnt the worst idea ever. Its an easy exam/assesment day but you learn and the stuff is well worth learning.

Public liability insurance £280ish
van £????? I bought cheap, £800 as not too worried about fixing it myself and having time off work as wont be fully booked anyway.
van insurance £450 and up
tools £££$$$
advertising, £££££££$$$$$$$

have you tried for a princess trust grant, you have to be young and unemployed

The Prince's Trust: Youth charity helping change young lives

Hi mate, ive just recently started my own business too. Its pretty simple, but costs a few ££ and you NEED work.

Getting water regs certificate isnt the worst idea ever. Its an easy exam/assesment day but you learn and the stuff is well worth learning.

Public liability insurance £280ish
van £????? I bought cheap, £800 as not too worried about fixing it myself and having time off work as wont be fully booked anyway.
van insurance £450 and up
tools £££$$$
advertising, £££££££$$$$$$$

have you tried for a princess trust grant, you have to be young and unemployed

The Prince's Trust: Youth charity helping change young lives

Princes' Scottish Youth business trust are helping me out, going to see a panel in january(Dragon's Den type of thing) for a £5000 loan and £1000 grant(5,000 will cover van and insurance plus accesories) and the grant will go towards getting GSR and PLI. My Business advisor is also very helpful he helped me create my business plan and is helping me with my books for my first year and tax returns. Would reccomend it to anyone under 25 or whatever age limit it is that are looking to start up. For the loan I'm paying back in total £5200 which is £121 a month for 4 years.

By the quality of installers I have seen in this country there is already someone out there selling these and a lot of people buying them. Not lol.

~There is nothing stopping anyone from doing basic plumbing as a self employed person. By law, qualiforcations are not needed. Saying this, one should be competant before they do any job.
Go and see your college tutor because I think that you can still do the nvq 2 for free within five years of starting the 6129.
For information on how to be a self employed person go to Business Link or any accountant. They will usually give you advice for free.
At the same time it would be helpful if you could go to your local trainning centre and do the one day Water Regulations course, Unvented and Energy Efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Qualifications- Self Employed (sorry to post again) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock