Search the forum,

Discuss New poster Trade Qualified in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcus92

Hi, i'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice on Plumbing courses, so far i have spoken to a few 'Train4Trade' (with their virtual plumbing software, sounds a bit geeky to me not hands on) and Trade Qualified, who although a bit more expensive offer some good add ons.
Train4Trade to me sounded as though i should be priveledged that i have been accepted onto their course, what's all that about, i'm the one with the money.
Another co. offered me the (newly updated) 6128 ? I was always aware it was the 6129 followed by the 6082 Level 2 NVQ.
Be nice to get some advice anyway, has anyone done the Trade Qualified course and is it just the 6129 they offer as it seems T4T offer 6129, NVQ Level 2 & Level 3 all in one for cheaper both seem to use the ATL course centre in Southampton for their hands on training.
Cheers

TQ and T4T only take your money, all the training is done at ATL by the same tutors at the same std.

I'm just finishing with TQ this week and went with them thinking it would be a better course and the TQ materials are no use whatsoever.

go with cost and volume, I wish i had.

TQ and T4T only take your money, all the training is done at ATL by the same tutors at the same std.

I'm just finishing with TQ this week and went with them thinking it would be a better course and the TQ materials are no use whatsoever.

go with cost and volume, I wish i had.

What do you mean the materials are no use? Is this the books, coursework etc, it has been explained to me that i will receive everything i need.
How did you find the hands on training, was it at ATL in Southampton? I have been asked to go and take a look at the training facilities before i decide to book, surely that can't be a bad thing.

The training manual you get with TQ is a waste of time, most of the important information isn't in it - even to answer the TQ 'assessment papers' - your just end up getting another one.

I got so annoyed with trying to sort the TQ asessment papers (no correct answer, multiple correct answers, out of date questions, illegal first aid techniques) that I ended up ditching them and just doing the ATL training and C&G exams. they claim I'm the first to complain, I find that hard to believe, they can't have proof read the papers or book. they are 'revising' them after I proof read and fed back on the first 4 exams.

There are a couple of excellent tutors at ATL southampton, and a couple of complete waste of timers. after realising who is who - I tend to grab someone good as they pass by.

Some of the weeks were grossly oversubscribed and there weren't enough tools to go around - ever tried doing a weeks assessment where you have to share tools and a bay? Its pointless.

Generally TQ like you to train with just TQ people on the same week, T4T will just have you on the week. Both are a pain to book and after you attend the first week, realise you cant get onto the next week for 4 months, your book the lot up in one hit. I was out of work and ready to do the lot - its still taken 7 months for them to fit me into the 6 weeks. I'm not overly impressed on that.

Some people however are taking 1 week there a year - so it suits them.

Oh - after completing my first TQ assessment and told I can book the practical, they had nothing for 3 months. I ended up agreeing to do them out of order - it made little difference to me as I had prior experience, so thats an option, still 7 months though.. I was aiming for 3.

Given the option - I'd have gone for the T4T one which was on offer at 1/2 the TQ course for exactly the same training and qualifications.

Gas - yep - you have 2 years to get on the course - you will still have to get the 170days work experiance in before you are alowed on the course - so if you don't know anyone to get that with - good luck.

So it seems the problems are at the training Centre, will be well worth going to take a look then, also as Shano23 has said re can they give me dates for the practical weeks, that is worth finding out too in advance.
I really want to check out this thing with the training manuals being useless though, as what's the point, surely no co. would be that stupid (Cheers hoodedclaw for that).
Obviously you have just trained there so I trust your current judgement, but I have been told to take a lot of comments on this forum (not yours by the way) with a pinch of salt, as there will be competitors or prof plumbers trying to protect their industry by doing as much as they can to put people off these courses and keep the number of people coming into the profession as low as possible, I see their point but it does not help people.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems the problems are at the training Centre, will be well worth going to take a look then, also as Shano23 has said re can they give me dates for the practical weeks, that is worth finding out too in advance.
I really want to check out this thing with the training manuals being useless though, as what's the point, surely no co. would be that stupid (Cheers hoodedclaw for that).
Obviously you have just trained there so I trust your current judgement, but I have been told to take a lot of comments on this forum (not yours by the way) with a pinch of salt, as there will be competitors or prof plumbers trying to protect their industry by doing as much as they can to put people off these courses and keep the number of people coming into the profession as low as possible, I see their point but it does not help people.

I have heard of private training providers telling would be candidates that all the negative feedback is from plumbers trying to protect their industry of competition. If you want to believe that to help justify the cost of the course to yourself then fine but it isnt the case.

Comments on here are to inform you of the pitfalls to help you make an informed judgement on whether the course fees are justifyable to what qualifications you will gain and your chances of future employment.

If you prefer to ignore these comments and trust somebody who wants several thousand pounds from you instead, then it is your money and your call.

Im not saying dont do it, im just saying dont ignore both sides of the argument and do it for the right reasons. There are figures branded about that suggest that a very percentage go on to get employment after a full time plumbing course, as low as 10% I have heard.

Dont count anything in, but dont discount anything either

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of private training providers telling would be candidates that all the negative feedback is from plumbers trying to protect their industry of competition. If you want to believe that to help justify the cost of the course to yourself then fine but it isnt the case.

Comments on here are to inform you of the pitfalls to help you make an informed judgement on whether the course fees are justifyable to what qualifications you will gain and your chances of future employment.

If you prefer to ignore these comments and trust somebody who wants several thousand pounds from you instead, then it is your money and your call.

Im not saying dont do it, im just saying dont ignore both sides of the argument and do it for the right reasons. There are figures branded about that suggest that a very percentage go on to get employment after a full time plumbing course, as low as 10% I have heard.

Dont count anything in, but dont discount anything either

Cheers Fuzzy, i'm definitely not ignoring any comment on here and am trying to get both sides of the argument, there is absolutely no way i am going to part with any money unless i am 100% sure.
It is a lot of money that's why i am not jumping in, i understand people will protect their profession and i don't think people are vindictive enough as to deliberately post a comment to put a newbie off.
I appreciate all feedback, it all helps in one way or another.

Well I just finished my final tasks there, Lead - what a lovely material to work with, I'm a 'natural' apparently...

Anyway, I also had a look around the centre before I signed up, The manager made all the same promises that TQ did, neither asked anyone about times, just said yep.. yep.. yep.. I brought it up to the training manager on the course who gets really cross with the office staff, they regularly clash.

Dont expect to get a job on the back of the 6129, you be lucky too, most want NVQ2 as well - which demonstrates some field experience.

FT salary is only 24K ish down south too - so I might be tempted to suggest the courses are only for people who already have trade skills and want to be SE.

Cheers Fuzzy, i'm definitely not ignoring any comment on here and am trying to get both sides of the argument, there is absolutely no way i am going to part with any money unless i am 100% sure.
It is a lot of money that's why i am not jumping in, i understand people will protect their profession and i don't think people are vindictive enough as to deliberately post a comment to put a newbie off.
I appreciate all feedback, it all helps in one way or another.

good on ya, hope it works out for you

remember the 6129 finishes soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New poster Trade Qualified in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock