Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie after some advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ablister

Hi, firstly been on this forum a while and been lurking in the background looking through all the posts, has made some good reading! I'm a novice so can't help anyone hence my low post count.

Anyway...

basically needing to put a new radiator in the bathroom and wanting some advise on how to drain the water from the system. It's an ex council flat i live in which has a back boiler. Can't appear to find a drain valve for the boiler

here are some pictures of my setup if anyone can be kind enough to tell me what i need to do (call a plumber?!)

P1030348.jpg

I have six radiators in the house, the manifold has 6 outlets, not sure if clear in this pic (mess was the leftovers from the council plumbers...). There are, i'm assuming, valves on the end of the manifolds, is this to carry out maintenance?
P1030352.jpg

the boiler is above the pump/zone valves etc
P1030349.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Those valves on the ends of the manifolds look like drain off valves to me

I'd say they were isolation valves for the heating manifolds. Not seen them before, not really sure why you would need them tbh.

why dont you just isolate and drain down the rad that you want to replace. fit new rad and connect valves and bleed rad

Sometimes I have come across drain points poking through outside walls of a property. Not a good idea, I know.

why dont you just isolate and drain down the rad that you want to replace. fit new rad and connect valves and bleed rad

Thanks for reply, that's what I'm wanting to do but don't know how. Think of me as a beginner but want to learn for future diy tasks

Sorry if you mean the valves in each side if the rad, one side won't close, it just spins round. Plus wanting to Install a thermostatic valve and it's a different shape of radiator and the valves are wrong angle

You probably want to get a plumber in if you live in a flat think of you neighbours. You could flood them out

Sometimes I have come across drain points poking through outside walls of a property. Not a good idea, I know.
Why not a good idea ? use to be my hallmark.
BTW the two isolation valves for the manifolds are plug cocks (just like the type you may find on gas system) wouldn't think you would be able to turn them off.

Last edited:
On the first picture the vertical 22mm pipe before the pump is that the vent?

I had a customer had one freeze and burst right in the middle of that cold snap winter 2010. No boiler, no heating, no hot water.

Well must be a lot colder winters "up north" cos my old nan's one went in 32 years ago & still hasn't caused any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie after some advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although the gas boiler is perhaps nearing the end of its life. But the boiler is not our current issue. Last winter two of the radiators did not heat up and...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock